Author Topic: WooHoo! (or - a newbie tries mountain biking)  (Read 3223 times)

WooHoo! (or - a newbie tries mountain biking)
« on: 20 September, 2008, 08:35:30 pm »
Wow. I had great fun today!

Corvine had bought me a mountain biking course for my birthday and I finally got round to going today (I didn't want to go before the Grand Tour, in case I broke something...)

I was really, really nervous - I'm a complete wimp when it comes to the slightest bit of gravel or mud.

So, I set off this morning, to get the bus down to Glentress (I was hiring a bike down there). On the way, I spotted something very unusual - an .anth, without a bike! Standing outside Valvona and Crolla, about to go mushroom foraging with his girlfriend - and with a fetching wicker basket tucked under his arm.

I blethered to them, then got the bus, hopped off outside Glentress, and walked up to the bike hire place. The whole place was really empty at 9am. I got my bike, walked over the cafe and ordered a tea - and then watched three guys come in covered from head to toe in mud. I have to confess that I wanted to go home at that point!

But I met up with the six people on the course - four guys, me and another woman - and the course leader Keith, and we got started.

The morning was a wee bit of a drag, if I'm honest. Well, no, some of it was fun - the riding bit! - but we went through a lot of braking and other technique stuff that is identical to what I teach as a Cycle Trainer, so it got a bit dull. And I really don't need to know how to fix a puncture! But the other people all seemed new to it, so fair enough.

We rode up to the Buzzard's Nest car park. Now, I believe that experienced people find the ride up dull but for me, switchbacks up a hill on a rough surface is quite a big deal.* When the leader first pointed to where we were going, I did have a wee moment of panic! But I just got stuck in - and hey, I can ride fast uphill! That always helps the confidence...

Once we got stuck into the skills loop, and into riding actual trails, it was a real blast. The final trip down a blue route**, with drop offs and mud and tight, tight turns (and those lumpy bits - they must have a name! - where you go up and down like you're riding along the back of Nessie...) was amazing - i was on a high by the end!

Wow. I can't say I'm totally converted and dying to buy a mountain bike, but I would certainly be keen to go back for another shot  :)

*(For anyone who hasn't been for a while, apparently you used to go up the 'fire road' but now there's a proper bike route through the forest)

** I know a blue route isn't 'hard' but hey, it is for me!

Re: WooHoo! (or - a newbie tries mountain biking)
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2008, 08:48:17 pm »
those lumpy bits - they must have a name! - where you go up and down like you're riding along the back of Nessie...

Some call them "Whoops" or "Whoop-de-woos"

Glad you enjoyed your introduction to 'dirt'. I don't get enough of it these days.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:34:55 pm »
those lumpy bits - they must have a name! - where you go up and down like you're riding along the back of Nessie...

Maybe moguls, as in skiing?
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »
Humps, rollers or whoops - around here they're mostly refered to as 'whoops'.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2008, 10:16:45 pm »
Maybe a bombhole - they went too deep to jump, I would think (but maybe...) - about three feet down each one, then back up.

Much deeper than the things in that 'whoop' pic, I think - but maybe it's all in my head and they weren't that big!

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2008, 08:19:12 pm »
I told you you'd enjoy it!

That new blue descent back to the main car park has red and blue options all the way down, and it's great fun. I wonder if I can fit in a really really early trip down one of the next couple of weekends (I like getting down there about 7am and having the trails to myself, get round the red route and home in time for breakfast!).

Melrose

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2008, 05:42:16 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the blue run. I think it is great. Do you fancy another trip sometime?

I am looking for someone to go MTBing with as my husband thinks I am a whimp and go too slowly downhill! (He thinks I am slow on the ups either but no worse than on the road).