Author Topic: Audible warning of Info Controls  (Read 2932 times)

DaveJ

• Happy days
Audible warning of Info Controls
« on: 21 May, 2009, 12:05:09 pm »
Can I set my Vista HCx up so that it beeps when I approach a specific location (an Info Control on an Audax route)?

I'm using Routes with on road navigation.  I've got the InfoControl set as a waypoint.  Any way I can make the machine beep when I get there?

Dave

Really Ancien

Re: Audible warning of Info Controls
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:12:37 pm »
Can I get one to whistle a happy tune, whenever I feel afraid?

Damon.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:15:10 pm »
My preferred MO for Audaxing is to follow a track with the route on it (split into sections for clarity if necessary), and to have an active route with just the controls on it (real or info). This gives me an as the crow flies distance to the next control and a beep when I reach the control.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:21:01 pm »
I use active routes with different colour flags for waypoints, infos and main controls.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:21:38 pm »
If you have one route per control, then you'll get the "arrive at destination" sound each time. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »
Can I get one to whistle a happy tune, whenever I feel afraid?

Damon.
:)

OR:
"You appear to be stationary with your main beam on."

"Are you SURE that's the right gear for this speed?"

SHIFT+F1:
"Please look after me. I may have lost the power of speech. I am tired and hungry (but on route). "

...etc ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

red marley

« Reply #6 on: 21 May, 2009, 12:26:44 pm »
My Vista and Edge will beep as they approach a waypoint, so shouldn't logging the info as a waypoint be sufficient? I also label my info waypoints as INFO to provide an additional cue. If it is not clear from the routesheet where exactly the info will be from the map ("Name of Wisteria covered cottage in Little Marklebury"), I put the info waypoint at the earliest possible location to put me in alert mode.

richie

• Just sleeping...
« Reply #7 on: 21 May, 2009, 01:17:45 pm »
You can always set the waypoint using the 'proximity alarm' function, which will beep shrilly several times to announce you are approaching it (also gives you a visual alarm on the screen).

If using mapsource bring up the waypoint tab and untick the 'proximity' box.  Then enter the range around the waypoint you want it to alert you.

Personally i find it's more hassle than it's worth.  It also beeps when leaving the proximity area and if it's set up closely to other waypoints there is just too much going on....
Sheep we're off again.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May, 2009, 01:34:02 pm »
Proximity alarm should be the answer.

You have to
a) turn ON proximity in the GPS Menu->Menu->Setup->System->Proximity Alarms
b) turn OFF the alarm for 'leaving proximity' which is deep in Menu->Menu->Setup->Tones
c) set up the waypoint as a proximity point - in mapsource in the waypoint properties dialog, or you can do it in the GPS - with a distance of say 200m

but I rather agree with ritchie that in practice its more trouble than its worth
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 21 May, 2009, 02:03:41 pm »
I just put infos in as regular User Waypoints (red flag, "INFO" as text ). I get the usual waypoint beep, and with the flag symbol I can see it coming up on the map.

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #10 on: 31 May, 2009, 10:50:25 pm »
I've tried it with and without turning on the "Proximity Alerts" and it works better for me with them on.

A lot of Info Controls are at junctions, and unless I turn the proximity alarms on, the beep for way point gets lost in all the beeps/pop-ups for the junction.

It seemed to work well today with the proximity alarms on.

Thanks

Dave