Author Topic: Championship Points 50% rule  (Read 4728 times)

Championship Points 50% rule
« on: 24 December, 2020, 09:30:16 am »
As there are no calendar events for the foreseeable future has the 50% rule for applicable championship points been suspended for the 20-21 season?

Geriatricdolan

Re: Championship Points 50% rule
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2020, 10:05:13 am »
there are calendar events... just not as many... but looking at the planner, there are a lot ready to pull the trigger

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2020, 11:32:31 am »
As restrictions will continue for some time I do consider that it should be reviewed, maybe 75/25. Also breaking historical records takes a lot of travel BTDT and more perms in the mix would be a bit of 'greenwash' if someone wishes to propose this as a rule change I'm one to vote for it. Btw I was told that the rule was introduced to allow peer review  due to a cheating rider.

« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2020, 11:33:49 am »
I'd rather we just abolished the championship.

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2020, 11:40:59 am »
Permanently? I think that would be a shame.  I have to declare an interest having spent a season totting up tricycle points. That, even with 50/50 was a lot of perms. Kicking yourself out of bed at 4am on a winter morning to get a 200 in on main roads may seem somewhat 'pointless' but society rewards people forfor other activities that require far less dedication.

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2020, 11:54:01 am »
Replace points with awards.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:00:47 pm »
I'd rather we just abolished the championship.

You are not alone in this.

If we must keep them, I think the championship winners should be seen by other riders, ideally during brevets. The 50% rule achieves that. It isn't the 'checking up on them' aspect but more the 'inspiration to other riders' side of things. Heaven knows that Audax has enough of a 'hermit on a bike' reputation already. AUK doesn't need to boost that particular image any further.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rob

« Reply #7 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »
I think there was certainly a time when people rode themselves into the ground to break records or win championships.   As someone who only has maxed out at 55 points it looked a bit dangerous from the outside.

Championships don't bother me terribly but I would miss the awards for 50pts etc.   I will try to get 100 points in a season at some point.

I wasn't a member then but I believe the 50% rule was introduced when someone was busted using the train.   You've got to ask why you would bother.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:26:22 pm »
Cancelling awards isn't what we are talking about. Awards that can be collected by everybody (who achieves the qualification) are quite different to championships that, by definition, are only for the winner.

In short, awards are inclusive, championships are exclusive.

« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2020, 12:39:04 pm »
There are no championships in the 2021 season.

« Reply #10 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:32:02 pm »
Cancelling awards isn't what we are talking about. Awards that can be collected by everybody (who achieves the qualification) are quite different to championships that, by definition, are only for the winner.

In short, awards are inclusive, championships are exclusive.
Exactly.
It was more of an achievement to 'win' this

Than win this

rob

« Reply #11 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:49:22 pm »
Only ever won one Audax trophy and it wasn’t for riding an Audax.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 24 December, 2020, 01:52:33 pm »

That solves that problem.

« Reply #13 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:19:53 pm »

That solves that problem.

Indeed it does.

« Reply #14 on: 24 December, 2020, 02:49:10 pm »
Only ever won one Audax trophy and it wasn’t for riding an Audax.
I'll never win an Audax trophy, but I have a CTC one. It was for riding a (long) Audax.  :)

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #15 on: 24 December, 2020, 03:00:40 pm »
Yes, in an organisation that boasts the non competitive nature of their endeavour, a championship seems a contradiction

« Reply #16 on: 24 December, 2020, 04:43:02 pm »
I look at more as an incentive, I feel some audax riders see audaxing as a cyclist version of wearing a hair shirt  :)

« Reply #17 on: 24 December, 2020, 07:01:34 pm »
I look at more as an incentive, I feel some audax riders see audaxing as a cyclist version of wearing a hair shirt  :)

"Yer not supposed to enjoy yerself, yer supposed to suffer."

« Reply #18 on: 25 December, 2020, 09:28:56 am »
Yeah, scrap the points championship that’s the way! It’s not as though it’s a way to encourage achievement is it? Inclusive not exclusive? I don’t even know where to start with that! I won the points championship in 2019 but I didn’t get the most points in that season, not even close. So, thanks to the 50% rule, the points championship actually rewards attendance and patronage. Personally, I hope it’s reinstated in 2022 and every year after that!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 25 December, 2020, 10:15:38 am »
Go ahead. Start with inclusive vs. exclusive. See where you get to.

« Reply #20 on: 25 December, 2020, 11:11:57 am »

I’ve said my piece. Have a good Christmas, Dave.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 25 December, 2020, 03:21:10 pm »

I’ve said my piece. Have a good Christmas, Dave.

And you, Lee.

« Reply #22 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:00:22 pm »
there are calendar events... just not as many... but looking at the planner, there are a lot ready to pull the trigger

It is also worth adding that these events have caps on the number of entrants and will reach capacity quickly.  My April audax is already full whilst the May event is one third full.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #23 on: 19 February, 2021, 05:04:57 pm »
As restrictions will continue for some time I do consider that it should be reviewed, maybe 75/25. Also breaking historical records takes a lot of travel BTDT and more perms in the mix would be a bit of 'greenwash' if someone wishes to propose this as a rule change I'm one to vote for it. Btw I was told that the rule was introduced to allow peer review  due to a cheating rider.

The rule was introduced not because of cheating but to give a level playing field to those who had full-time employment who didn't have access to the time to ride perm / DIY / hostel dart / mesh rides Monday to Friday.  It was also felt that a big part of AUK are the calendar events so therefore a 'champion' should reflect this by riding and supporting these events.

Given the volume of LRM 1200s and ACP 600 calendar events to ride the 50/50 rule should still be OK.  When it was originally introduced there were few 600s in the UK and in Europe and just three 1200s - BMB. LEL and PBP.  GSR came along a little later.  It wasn't until  about 2008 that the 1200 calendar started growing in both Europe, N America and Oz.

« Reply #24 on: 19 February, 2021, 07:46:41 pm »
Does the 50% rule favour the idle rich, and you have a better chances of winning depending upon where you live. Why no regional champions.
I remember a saying that in Audax everyone was a winner, so why the championship .
One way to level the playing field is have  52-6 of holidays etc. Thats 46 week ends for submitting claims of 2 per week, letting everyone with a job have a chance.
It will depend upon who does more longer audaxs, still gives the idle rich an advantage as they can have long lie in on a Monday.
 I never bothered about points as i live in Scotland, and the old mad Audax season from February to June /July was perfect training for cyclo camping tours abroad.
George Berwick may have won a few championships, you could say he was a professional cyclist as Margaret was the bread winner 😄.