Author Topic: WMD  (Read 1285 times)

WMD
« on: 24 July, 2020, 04:37:19 pm »
No, not weapons of mass destruction, rather a routine scan at the opticians (that I paid for to have as Soecsavers have monetised it) showed the beginnings of wet macular degeneration in my right eye. Bah, and Im only 63. A hospital referral is in the work.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: WMD
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:40:43 am »
Try to make it there quickly.

My mother in law has been having regular injections for a few years and has retained most of her vision (she only has one working eye from infanthood). A friends mother lost the sight in one eye recently after, we suspect, not wanting to bother anyone with the early symptoms for a few weeks.

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »
Seems it must be a urgent appointment.  Got a call today, and two appointments next week, Tuesday and Thursday. 

« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2020, 06:28:35 pm »
good. Hope all goes well.

« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2020, 01:17:00 pm »
Well, that was... inconclusive.  Saw the eye doctor today, and he said that their scans showed nothing untoward. Eye and retinal health is good.  There ARE a couple of small spots on the right retina, and one on the left.  First point of investigation is blood pressure (will check at home tonight, but has consistently been "high normal"), cholesterol (which is almost certain to be high) and diabetes, as all can cause that type of defect.  Least likely is a leaking blood vessel, but given my general eye health is good, vision is good, and the ongoing pandemic, a dye test is unlikely to be a priority. He'll write to my GP and I'll call and get the tests arranged, and I've a follow up appointment in three months with him.