Author Topic: Fixed Wheel Challenge Log  (Read 19121 times)

Re: Fixed Wheel Challenge Log
« Reply #25 on: 26 October, 2009, 07:54:27 am »
I most likely wont ride another event this season, so if you do a few good rides, we might have a new name on the fixed wheel award. :thumbsup:

Not me guv, I'm done with audaxing for the season.  I reckon Iddu might be doing pretty well this year.

Don't be so sure, now that the 50% rule applies to all of the trophy awards, as was confirmed and written in the rules at an AGM, not that many years ago. Most of my points have been collected via permanents.
I haven't done the maths or checked any other riders, but I'm not convinced that my name will be on the AUK fixed wheel award this year. ;)

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #26 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:36:37 am »
I most likely wont ride another event this season, so if you do a few good rides, we might have a new name on the fixed wheel award. :thumbsup:

Not me guv, I'm done with audaxing for the season.  I reckon Iddu might be doing pretty well this year.

Don't be so sure, now that the 50% rule applies to all of the trophy awards, as was confirmed and written in the rules at an AGM, not that many years ago. Most of my points have been collected via permanents.
I haven't done the maths or checked any other riders, but I'm not convinced that my name will be on the AUK fixed wheel award this year. ;)

I believe the FWC is not an "official" AUK trophy (i.e. listed in the regs) and so is not subject to the 50% rule.  May be wrong though.

« Reply #27 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:48:35 am »
I believe the FWC is not an "official" AUK trophy (i.e. listed in the handbook) and so is not subject to the 50% rule.  May be wrong though.

*checks PDF*

It is in the handbook, and in the Hall Of Fame listings (p39).

50% rule can't count for the FWC challenge (or didn't in the past). Steve's score of 394.75 points in 2007 is evidence of that.

He got 3.75AAA that year so the other 391 points must have been from "distance" points, of which he "only" got 70 points from calendar events, the rest were from perms. If the 50% rule had applied he could only have scored 70+70+3.75 = 143.75 points, and slightly less since at least one of his calendar rides wasn't on fixed (PBP onna triplet tandem, and one other 200 it looks like).

If the rules have changed since then, then it pretty much makes it impossible to match Steve's score of 394.75.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #28 on: 26 October, 2009, 10:52:13 am »
Final list for 2009 (will cut and paste this to RP in due course)...

Willy Warmer 200 (2)
DIY 200 inc Brazier's Run 100 (2)
DIY 300 Putney to Thorne (3)
DIY 200 Thorne to Alston (2)
DIY 200 Alston to North Berwick (2)
The Dean 300 (3)
Elenith 300 (7.75)
BCM 600 (14.25)
DIY 400 Dorking - Dun Run and back home to Putney (4)
LEL 1400 (14)
DIY 200 inc Luton + Herts 150 (2)
DIY 200 Putney/Cambridge/Putney (2)
DIY 200 Putney/RTW/Brighton/Horsham/Putney (2)

Total: 60

1 SFW, 13 Fixed AAA

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #29 on: 26 October, 2009, 11:34:05 am »

I meant to write the trophy is not listed in the regulations (the handbook is irrelevant) and so is exempt from the 50% rule.  Likewise things like the tandem award etc.

« Reply #30 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:10:54 pm »
I believe the FWC is not an "official" AUK trophy (i.e. listed in the handbook) and so is not subject to the 50% rule.  May be wrong though.

*checks PDF*

50% rule can't count for the FWC challenge (or didn't in the past). Steve's score of 394.75 points in 2007 is evidence of that

You might be right there.
Ah well, we'll find out in November.

If the rules have changed since then, then it pretty much makes it impossible to match Steve's score of 394.75.

It's still just as possible, regardless of the 50% rule. It just might mean that you don't get the award for it. Same as my 405 points is impossible to match as a championship points total, because there aren't enough events to comply with the 50% rule. Come to think of it, there aren't for the FWC either, if it's needed.
The 505 rule being brought in across the board was biought in last year I think. But as you say, the FWC may not be included because it's not an AUK award.

I dunno?

And yes, I rode Cheltenham Flyer 200 and PBP on a geared and freewheel bearing tandem (not a triplet, that was 2003) with Nigel Winter.

« Reply #31 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:14:57 pm »
Same as my 405 points is impossible to match as a championship points total, because there aren't enough events to comply with the 50% rule. Come to think of it, there aren't for the FWC either, if it's needed.

But with the new, higher, AAA points then it might be possible for the FWC. The Bryan Chapman (Scenic) is worth 14.5 FWC and the Mille Cymru is worth 23.75 FWC. That's almost a tenth of the points needed in just two weekends. :)

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #32 on: 29 October, 2009, 01:17:35 pm »
Interesting thread.  The following message has just been posted on the AUK forum and is being copied here for anyone interested.

"As usual at this time of year as we slide seamlessly into a new season, I am writing to request all those who have achieved points on fixed wheel during the year just ending and who have not already done so, to let me have their points claims for that period. It will be helpful if you will add which rides have been done on fixed to enable me to confirm you are claiming everything to which you are entitled.  As ever, in case of query or difficulty, please contact me directly (off-list).  E-mail or snail mail is preferable; no need to send the card unless it needs validating – no point in risking these valuable items in the mail unnecessarily – especially at the moment.

To clarify the issue and avoid unnecessary queries, the 50% rule does NOT apply to the fixed wheel trophy, so the person with the greatest number of points will win the trophy.  Claims from female members will be especially welcome as very few of these have been seen recently.

In view of the limited time again this year between the end of the season and the prize-giving weekend, please send these figures promptly; if we don’t know about them by that weekend, another rider with a smaller total may receive the prize, which would be really, really galling.  This urgency also applies to members riding end of season permanents who should submit their cards promptly to their organiser.  (I would expect that as of last weekend, John Ward, the Perms Sec would have been as up to date as possible.)

At the same time, perhaps riders of other “niche” machines (tandems, upright trikes and recumbents) would do the same, sending their figures to Nev Holgate  [nev.holgate<at>talktalk.net]

Equally, Mike Wigley would like to see your RRTY claims for inclusion in the next Handbook, as these also need manual inspection, so drop him a line if you have an update, or, indeed, any query about the organisation of that award.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation and assistance."

To clarify further, any event starting on 31st Oct and finishing on a subsequent day will be allocated to the earlier season, so you may just have time for a last minute Perm....

Any results mentioned upthread will be checked and acknowledged by PM in the next few days, with any queries.  If you don't see anything, that probbably means it has been discounted as having insufficient details, so by all means check.

Don't stop pedalling!

RP
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

simonp

« Reply #33 on: 29 October, 2009, 02:24:59 pm »
I rode the Mildenhall 300 on fixed but do not have a fwc card.

Is there any way to claim for this or should I just pretend it never happened?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #34 on: 29 October, 2009, 02:26:52 pm »

Its an annual challenge so best to cross Mr Phipps palm with a gold coin for a FWC (and SFWC!) card for next year

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 29 October, 2009, 02:31:38 pm »
Or I could be sensible and vow never to do anything so stupid again.

:)

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 29 October, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »
You could be one of the few to have the FWC on your FWC  :thumbsup:

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #37 on: 29 October, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »

Given your profile pic and Phixie's request for entries from females, maybe your chances are better than normal

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:11:09 pm »

I wish I knew what that meant.

(Says person who ordered a new 17T cog yesterday as 67" is becoming a bit limiting on the commute).

« Reply #39 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:38:10 pm »

The regs say you need 15 FWC points to be guaranteed to be listed in the handbook, but as long as the world and his dog doesn't start riding fixed Audaxes then you've a good change of being listed with fewer points than that. The lowest entry last year was 5 FWC points.

I'm still on my first FWC booklet, and it's unlikely to get filled in the next year. It's got enough boxes for 50 Audaxes or so. I don't bother sending it off at the end of each Audax year as it's all done on trust anyway. I just make it easy for me to spot the boundaries between different Audax years.

It might be worth buying one now and adding the Mildenhall 300 yourself (I self sign all of my DIY entries anyway).

If you're going for a Super Fixed Wheel Award then you do need a new SFW card each year. I send mine off my completed one with an SAE and a cheque for another one for the following year. I should get around to doing that in the next couple of days.

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:45:59 pm »

(Says person who ordered a new 17T cog yesterday as 67" is becoming a bit limiting on the commute).

Oh.  Fred Whitton Challenge on fixed?

:hand:

« Reply #41 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »

Oh.  Fred Whitton Challenge on fixed?

:hand:

Oh go on. I'd seriously consider the MSG on fixed having done it once on gears and having had the MIB round to wipe away all of the memories of the steep climbs.

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 29 October, 2009, 04:58:32 pm »
Though the FWC is (in my view) easier overall than the MSG 300, its individual climbs are harder.  Two of them already defeat me on a 29" gear with a carbon bike.

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:10:15 pm »
That's the point I s'pose - a harder ride on fixed just means more walking.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:28:00 pm »
I believe it was MSeries that said something like:
"Anyone can walk up a hill"

(referring to rides with really stupidly steep hills).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #45 on: 29 October, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »
But if I continue to improve then maybe one day I'll be able to get up those two climbs.  And how will I know if I don't try?

But I am certain they will always be beyond me on fixed, as would be Honister and Newlands and possible Whinlatter also.

It would be pointless.

« Reply #46 on: 29 October, 2009, 09:52:47 pm »
To clarify further, any event starting on 31st Oct and finishing on a subsequent day will be allocated to the earlier season, so you may just have time for a last minute Perm....

It's funny you should mention that, Phixie...
 ;)

Chris N

« Reply #47 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:39:47 pm »
2009/10:
Tinsel Lanes 200 - 2
Rutland and beyond 100 - 1
Gospel pass 150 - 1 + 2.25

I managed a miserable 6.25 FWC points last season - definitely going to try for more this year so am going to start logging them here again.

Chris S

« Reply #48 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »
70.75 for me for 2009/10.  :smug:

Which is probably only good enough for about 7th this year. Who'd have thunk it?

« Reply #49 on: 08 November, 2010, 02:43:58 pm »
(This is not a submission.)

2 FWC points last year (The Upper Thames which I'm pretty sure I did on fixed).

My two other Audaxes of 2009/2010 were Taste Of The Test 200 and Snowdon & Coast 400 and I did both of those on gears so I could get the PowerTap data...

A PowerTap track hub should help increase the numbers for the 2010/2011 season although it won't be going down to the K&SW...