Author Topic: RATN 2024.  (Read 3522 times)

Re: RATN 2024.
« Reply #50 on: 03 May, 2024, 08:07:51 pm »
Lee about 35km from finish.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #51 on: 04 May, 2024, 12:04:29 pm »

Looks like Morbihan is enjoying the hills of Limburg...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #52 on: 04 May, 2024, 03:04:03 pm »
Limburg is great for cycling, but maybe not at the end of an ultra ;-)

Morbihan might be the last official finisher, although I'm hoping that Wendy makes it to the finish before 6pm tomorrow.

« Reply #53 on: 04 May, 2024, 04:23:04 pm »
I reckon if she keeps going through the night she’ll finish in time.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #54 on: 05 May, 2024, 02:24:12 am »

She's just passed Morbihan. She's about to pass 3 more at Roemond. The winds are not in anyone's favour. But they are at least lightest during the night.

Wishing her lots of luck. I did a very similar push in 2019. I left Heerlen at about 1am, and made it to the finish at 1550.i think she's doing better than I did. I hope she has enough supplies. She posted earlier about buying some apples from a farmer. And finding a vending machine.

I should sleep. But then who will watch the dots...

J
--

« Reply #55 on: 05 May, 2024, 01:34:05 pm »
She is now about 30-40 mins out from the finish.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2024, 02:05:21 pm »

Wendy finishes. Morbihan is about 7km away now.

J
--

« Reply #57 on: 05 May, 2024, 02:39:01 pm »
Been following Tom J on the tracker, because our paths have crossed many times over the years...but got drawn in to checking in on Morbihan and Wendy. A few days ago in Zeeland  it looked possible but unlikely that they would both finish within the time limit. What determination they have both shown, as indeed have all the finishers, in time or out of time....I'm quite exhausted!
#makewattsnotwar

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2024, 03:33:06 pm »

If Morbihan hadn't done the extra 130k in Friesland, he might have been my time
 But in the end he seems 19 mins behind me.

Still a bloody impressive ride. Well done!

J
--

« Reply #59 on: 05 May, 2024, 04:32:53 pm »
Do we now know reason for circular diversion?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #60 on: 05 May, 2024, 05:09:46 pm »
Do we now know reason for circular diversion?

I do. But as it has not been disclosed publicly I can't share it.

Hopefully Morbihan will post once he's had a good meal and some sleep.

J
--

« Reply #61 on: 08 May, 2024, 05:13:41 pm »
hello all,
back home as of last night after a tough old slog on the epic RATN.
It was great to meet QG. I loved The Netherlands. I made a bit of a pigs ear of the race and suffered pretty badly as a result, all largely self inflicted.
Thanks to the poster who gave me a route to ride to Harwich (seems like a million years ago now) It was a pretty back country journey. I arrived way too early in Harwich and hunkered down in pretty foul weather. I really enjoyed the crossing, the first time I have done so with just a bicycle. It was fun meeting other cycle tourists, all excited to be heading off on their various adventures. I also met Lee who was racing, mentioned on here earlier. A super nice guy. We bumped into each other a fair bit on day one of the event. I met Tom too on the road that day, a very strong rider and like Lee, super experienced in audax.
I was pretty blown away by the riding conditions rolling off the ferry in Rotterdam. Excellent cycling paths and a futuristic city that has successfully meshed together green space, farming, livestock and a lot of people in such a way that it all jives and shows just what can be done when there is a will.
I arrived at the bike check that afternoon, signed in then headed off to a hotel about 12km away to rest up before the start the following morning.

I had no real race plan when we set off, just follow the dots on the wahoo. After feeling like I was taking an exam for months prior on TCR events with route and logistics plans I had been keen to make sure that this one didn't suck up family life and I just enjoyed the scenery and surprises ahead on a fixed route format.
I bit off about 300km (plus the ride from my hotel) that first day and grabbed a hotel late. On reflection I was pretty dehydrated and should have stopped earlier. (I'm dealing with a nice little UTI right now that I suspect began that day)
I ripped the sidewall out of my rear tire sometime in the early evening that day too. I had a spare tire (unbelievable) in my substantial kit and set about remounting a new tubeless comparable tire. 90 minutes later and after much swearing and grunting, as many a rider sailed by me I had finally got the tire on the rim, not before snapping a Kool stop tire bead jack. Then the tube I had inserted was defective.....start again.
I'd sorely underestimated the average speed I'd be able to cruise at and had no concept of what it's like to ride into an angry wind for hours at a time.
All that being said I really enjoyed the unfolding scenery, if not the wind and made pretty good progress until a couple of days on...yes I took a 135km detour.
I don't know what to tell you really except that my artistic brain seems to be wired differently than the norm.  The basic outline is that I had holed up in a hotel in Lemner, mid way through a section. Woke early and got a jump on the other racers at the hotel. Flashed up the wahoo and, in a misting rain, sped off. I made a wrong turn missing a bike path and the wahoo rerouted.  I thought I was back on route and continued pounding away following the unbeknownst to me "blue" arrows. At some point I thought "well this section isn't quite as nice as the other bits. I haven't seen any other racers for a bit, they are probably just getting up and grabbing breakfast."  Then many km further I realised my horrible mistake and at this point I thought as soon as I see a coffee shop ill have sit down and see what the hell happened. Another big mistake ontop of the original here.... no coffee shop in sight I bashed on and when I toggled out underway on the wahoo I saw the dots taking me to the coast. Ah crap I thought, it's taken me deep off route and is then intersecting the real route on the coast. I'll just get there and ride back up the parcour to the beginning and come back down it.  except that wasn't what it was showing. It had routed me back to the beginning of yesterdays section I had started!  The horror dawned on me when I got there and it all looked familiar. With a cold claw round my heart, I turned round and rode that 65 km I had just done back to the start of the mornings ride in Lemner. 7 hours later, 135 km in the legs,  depleted  by whatever emotional energy costs, I struck off again in the right direction. Writing this all down it seems ridiculous, but that is what occurred. I felt stupid, angry, upset. But it was done.
I got as far as I could with the remaining time and ended up in a fancy hotel in Hoon. It turned out to be the worst stop of the lot. Nowhere to leave the bike safely, and aside from the big bill and 24 hour check in absolutely nothing available. I rose early in pretty bad shape, actually took a photo in the mirror that morning, my face was puffed up and unrecognisable.
I continued on now meeting other riders from further back in the pack. That was the nice thing about the screw up, I met more people!
I got my act together and calculated that I could still make the finish in time if I cracked on and thought positively.
A couple of days later I had a really bad muscular back spasm. It was one of those situations where a small little muscle had been niggling somewhere under the shoulder blade (probably aggravated by seating a stubborn tire) One of those things you ignore (at your peril as it turns out) as you are generally pretty sore all over and its just a bit of pain. All of a sudden everything locked up on the left side and I couldn't ride. I was on the causeways in Zeeland and the wind was cranking up. I only had 140 km in the bag but there was no option, I found a resort and checked in that afternoon. It was a pretty remote area and no massage or anything was available. That night I pretty well resigned myself to having to call it. I even plugged a route in so that I could limp back to Utrecht overland for the morning.   A nights sleep however and rolling back to the route, I realised that if I crouched over the bars and didn't stretch out my left side I could ride. I actually spent most of the remainder of the race holding the aero pads and using my right arm for as much of the riding as possible. Ive had a bit of ulnar palsy years ago after TCR which seems to be the norm, but this time I just have it in the RHS!
I continued on slow and steady and the kms whittled down.  The riding through The Dunes due South was amazing and a tail wind too. One of my old mates of 40 years who joined up in the RM with me was camping along the route kite surfing and came to say hello which gave me a real boost. The wind strength coming around the Middleburg headland was insane. Ive never ridden in anything like it.
The hills in Limberg were short but eye popping gradients at the bottom. I did manage to ride them all but only because I was really low geared (if over weighed down with luggage)
Just when I thought Id be making the cut I had a series of punctures in the rear tire. To cut an already long diatribe short, I went through the remaining tubes over the last couple and ended up flagging down a local who sorted me with patches. Timing was horrible with holidays and Sunday closings etc, so but for that act of kindness I wouldn't have made the finish. I rolled in to the finish on about 20 psi, shattered but happy. Got a beer and looked back to see the tire totally flat.
Im not religious, but it really felt like the race was a serious of Devine challenges to overcome!

In conclusion RATN is a pretty serious event not to be underestimated. Come under prepared at your own peril (Jonah!)
 It's a beautiful route and a fabulous country. I feel really enriched by the experience and had to dig deep within myself to cope.
On the one hand Im glad that I didn't obsess over the event months prior, but some more planning and training would have saved me a whole bunch of drama.
It also made me realise that Im no longer mentally or physically prepared to take on any of the longer more arduous events out there, and thats okay.
I highly recommend RATN.

often lost.

« Reply #62 on: 08 May, 2024, 07:34:12 pm »
Well done - sounds like an epic!

I'm not sure I agree with your final statement - after you had dealt with all those problems it must have taken an awful lot of mental strength to finish the event!  Many people would have called it a day long before then.

« Reply #63 on: 08 May, 2024, 09:50:01 pm »
I don’t know if Wahoo gps support it, but on my Garmin Edge Explore 2 I have rerouting turned off.  It’ll inform me I’ve gone off route but won’t automatically mess up what was planned in advance.

Well done on writing off the mistake and carrying on to a finish.

« Reply #64 on: 09 May, 2024, 08:09:41 am »
When I started reading I thought what you were going to say was you rode backwards along your route, which has been done before. Of course the key thing people always advise is to verify your route and direction in some way, either by checking where the sun is, or a landmark, rather than just following the line. But if you can't even be sure what you are seeing on screen is actually the line, the scope for errors is much greater!

Normal practice on ultras is to have routing turned off, partly for these reasons and also for battery usage. I never use it but if you do, I guess you would miss it, so its worth getting used to in normal riding!

« Reply #65 on: 09 May, 2024, 08:28:40 am »
Available on Wahoo too.      Excellent write-up.   

« Reply #66 on: 09 May, 2024, 09:18:37 am »
Well done Morbihan. Serious mental fortitude demonstrated.

« Reply #67 on: 09 May, 2024, 11:37:56 am »
Thanks all.
Good advice Frank. The wahoo and lights get the dedicated charge from a dynamo hub so power saving has never been an issue, it sits at 100% The reroute option is, on reflection, fraught with trip hazards, I should have turned it off.
Even  though I hadn't studied the routes in detail I should have at least clocked that I should have been riding along on the coast towards Amsterdam. About 30 km in when it dawned on me that I was off route I stopped briefly; I was under a bridge and dry and that point I should have sat down, got google maps out and worked out where I really was and would have seen I was heading North across the previous days headland. I thought then I'd ride a bit more and find a coffee shop to do that. I managed to ride right through Leeuwarden in the early morning without spying a coffee cafe en route by which time I'd decided my breadcrumbs were not far from intersecting the days route.
It's amazing how you can get yourself into a funk and think "I'll ride just a bit further and then...." when the important thing to do is stop, calm down and reassess.
Thanks for the compliment on the mental fortitude, I really did have to dig deep on the second half of this one. What I meant though is that knowing my limitations I don't want to find myself caught up in a similar situation, as I seem prone to do, on a mountain pass in Morocco, or Kyrgyzstan where the repercussions could be more serious. Similarly the events that take you onto busy roads.
I imagine a whole bunch of addax riding would be great for ironing many of the problems met on an event like RATN.
As an aside I think it's a great option for someone to dip their toe into an ultra event. It's a lovely route, throws up a good selection of challenges and bail out won't leave you in the middle of nowhere. If you are a strong rider and make no mistakes you could probably get round with as little as 10 hours riding a day too. I generally think of 12 hour days as a minimum for the likes of TCR.
I forgot to mention earlier, one of the upsides of falling back in the pack after the snafu is that I crossed paths  and chatted with bike messenger Wendy several times on the run down to Amsterdam. Super strong, fabulous person with buckets of determination.
often lost.

« Reply #68 on: 09 May, 2024, 03:41:38 pm »
Job Biersteker (the winner) disqualified for outside support...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #69 on: 09 May, 2024, 04:08:22 pm »
Job Biersteker (the winner) disqualified for outside support...

Oh my.

Do you have any details ?

That promotes Lennart?

J
--

« Reply #70 on: 09 May, 2024, 04:37:45 pm »
Update: Unfortunately we had to remove the finish time of Job from the general classification. The Reason for this decision is an outside support violation and creating an advantage over other participants.
However to what we understand his action wasn’t intentional and he also reached out to us to explain his site of what happend.
That said Job is an amazing bike rider and deserves a lot of respect from all of us for what he achieved on and also of his bike.

From: https://www.instagram.com/p/C6aEPfSoxWa/?img_index=1

« Reply #71 on: 09 May, 2024, 05:23:54 pm »

Oh my.

Do you have any details ?

Lennart on Strava: "Cycling for 12 hours with another participant earned him a time penalty. His girlfriend, who cycled with him in every corner of the Netherlands, led to the DSQ. Shortly after I asked if she was also staying at the hotel in Groningen where he slept, he left the group chat..."

I've got Job's race report (pdf, in Dutch), can e-mail it if you want.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #72 on: 09 May, 2024, 06:30:55 pm »

Lennart on Strava: "Cycling for 12 hours with another participant earned him a time penalty. His girlfriend, who cycled with him in every corner of the Netherlands, led to the DSQ. Shortly after I asked if she was also staying at the hotel in Groningen where he slept, he left the group chat..."

I've got Job's race report (pdf, in Dutch), can e-mail it if you want.

Ooh. Yes please.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #73 on: 09 May, 2024, 06:52:25 pm »

Do we know if 237 and 165 got a penalty? They rode together from at least hoorn...

J
--

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #74 on: 09 May, 2024, 08:10:49 pm »
Apparently not. At least, it's not mentioned in the tracking whereas that does list Job's DSQ and a 3h penalty for one Andrew Wilson (also, DSQ for the pair 1647)