Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 512656 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
What is this PBJ of which you speak?

I assumed peanut butter and jelly (jam).

We were regaled with red and brown stripy jars as kids.

I don't know what fruit made the red jelly.

JellO = jelly
jelly = jam

Languages are confusing...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It’s gotta be jelly coz jam don’t shake like that?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

According to the Bible, in the Gospel of Kevin, he states it must be grape jelly (because of Jeremiah's blackcurrant purge). Jelly because it can't have lumps in it as God doesn't like lumps. Why would he? On 'sandwich bread' which is the Chorleywood meets Hollywood of bread and is whiter than the Klu Klux Klan and softer than a recently massaged bunny. Curiously he doesn't stipulate a specific peanut butter, so go wild. But remember, God doesn't like crunchy.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Which reminds me, I think the best thing I ever had containing PB was what came to be known as The Moorings toastie' which was invented by the shop called the EARL of Sandwich, sold in the Moorings bar and contained PB, Jarlsberg cheese, bacon & maple syrup. :P

Peanut butter French toast.  Basically, French toast made use a peanut butter sandwich.   Food of the gods.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Is 'grape' in this context vine fruit or bitter citrus?

Which reminds me, I think the best thing I ever had containing PB was what came to be known as The Moorings toastie' which was invented by the shop called the EARL of Sandwich, sold in the Moorings bar and contained PB, Jarlsberg cheese, bacon & maple syrup. :P

Peanut butter French toast.  Basically, French toast made use a peanut butter sandwich.   Food of the gods.

This is getting dangerously close to Elvis territory.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

I did once have the donut burger in Churchkey in DC, basically a maple-soaked burger in a donut with all the sweet trimmings. It was off-menu, but the DC contingent knew about it. It wasn't immediately as bad I imagined, but really after a couple of bites the novelty wore off and I was forced to drink more beer. We were also with a gang of Serbians, I don't think they managed a bite. What the fuck is this! It's not going to sell in the Balkans.

Pondering supper this evening, and deciding on including some Gruyere, I was suddenly reminded of the Dairylea(?) Cheese Triangles version, which for reasons unknown, was a kind of camouflage green. I still ate it tho, and never considered it might not actually be green in reality.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The school where my son works is near an M&S distribution depot. Because of reduced demand during lockdown, they've had problems shifting stock, and when it's perishable stuff, they have to get rid of it... which they do by dropping off lorry loads at the school for people to help themselves.

Hence today I have been stuffing my face all day with M&S sultana and cherry cake. It's really good!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

I don't know about that particular variety of cake, but all sorts of cake can be usable even when they've gone a bit dry as the base for a trifle or just with custard on. Waste not want not!

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
First rhubarb crumble of the season this evening using sticks from the garden (luckily, sticks of rhubarb). Very good.

Every year I think about splitting the crown as in the height of the season the plant is about the size of a small car, but I can never be bothered and I might jinx it. We crop it for about 9 months of the year.

Just seen a recipe from Ferran Adria of El Bulli came for a chip omelette. Actually means a crisp omelette and sounds amazing. I had to buy the book. https://apple.news/AJDNUYtE7Qx6vMwscCF_BZg

Asparagus season has started  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

Oh fuck.

Not a fave, then?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
I'll have yours Ian.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I love the smell of napalm asparagus in the morning  :P

ian

Not a fave, then?

I make the smell and can smell the smell. It's a double horror show. I don't mind the taste of asparagus but it's a fast transformation to stinko. I'm more on Franklin opinion that it's most disagreeable than Proust's perfumed chamberpot.

It's not just wee, I can smell it coming off people's skin, even at a distance.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Recording this here before I forget it: according to a cooking video I watched last week, soaking cheap cuts of meat (rump steak etc.) in Perrier for a few minutes tenderizes them. Dare say it'd work with less designing waters.

Re asparagus: I prefer green to white but purple (aka violet) to both, but they're all greatly overrated IMO.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Recording this here before I forget it: according to a cooking video I watched last week, soaking cheap cuts of meat (rump steak etc.) in Perrier for a few minutes tenderizes them. Dare say it'd work with less designing waters.

Sparkling water is carbonic acid. Any kind of acid will tenderize meat (by part hydrolyzing the proteins).

I did make some splendid kebabs last night by marinating chicken (after bashing the shit out of it with a rolling pin) in white wine and lemon juice, with loads of coriander seeds, all the garlic, and a good glug of olive oil.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Not a fave, then?

I make the smell and can smell the smell. It's a double horror show. I don't mind the taste of asparagus but it's a fast transformation to stinko. I'm more on Franklin opinion that it's most disagreeable than Proust's perfumed chamberpot.

It's not just wee, I can smell it coming off people's skin, even at a distance.

You can sing asparagus wee to the tune of Black and White Boy by Crowded House  :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Noticed this morning that my usual brand of pumpernickel is indulging in its own version of shrinkflation: the price and the weight of the pack are unchanged, but the number of slices has dropped from 9 to 6, since (they hope) most people measure their consumption by the slice and so will get through the packet faster.  Reminiscent of the toothpaste-manufacturers' gambit, back in the 60s, of widening the nozzles of the tubes.

A friend of mine was distributor for a once-very-popular brand of chain lubricant.
Upon taking delivery of a new consignment of said lubricant I commented that he had changed the bottles it was sold in.
'Larger nozzle aperture for increased flow,' He confided in me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Saltimbocca for lunch again, but made with veal from the local butcher's and his own smoked raw ham instead of supermarket veal & packet prosciutto.  Fried it in butter and served it with fresh sage from the garden.  Bloody hell it was marvellous.

ian

I usually keep an open jar of anchovies in oil in the fridge, so I can throw one or two in pasta sauces etc. They last for months. Last night, while making some sauce, I glanced at the label of the old jar I'm currently emptying.

Use within three days of opening.

What doesn't kill me just makes me stronger.