Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230658 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #825 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:19:59 pm »
I think it depends on the Crohns. I have some students with it who get triggered by some food and not others and other students who say it's separate from food triggers for them.  Crohns is so variable, some people get theirs well treated/controlled and others don't and it can change at any time :/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #826 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Fantastic link. Like an instruction manual for life today. Gluten intolerance is indeed a state of mind, and as such a valuable social tool. I guess the problems come when two gluten intolerants attend the same meal. The stakes would need to be raised to coeliac level then. Or Crones or something.

Crohn's completely unrelated to diet.

Unless, of course you meant old ladies with crooked nose and warty faces, in which case, carry on.
You are right! I knew a woman who had crowns disease in the 80s and she couldn't eat loads of things, so I assumed it was a food related problem. Lazy thinking on my part.

I didn't realise you spent time hobnobbing with royalty :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #827 on: 10 November, 2015, 09:52:09 am »
Gluten intolerance is indeed a state of mind, and as such a valuable social tool.
Please excuse me if I find this about as funny as a kick in the balls.

Some of us can't eat gluten. Some of us have been poked, prodded and tested using science and informed that we need to cease eating anything containing wheat or similar grains.

Some of us would love to be able to eat a takeaway pizza, buy cake, pastries, even a Ginster's pasty.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #828 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:33:55 am »
I think it depends on the Crohns. I have some students with it who get triggered by some food and not others and other students who say it's separate from food triggers for them.  Crohns is so variable, some people get theirs well treated/controlled and others don't and it can change at any time :/

...and some of us are on scary drugs to control it.

Over the years I have heard MANY misconception about Crohn's, the most common of which is "Oh, that's sort of like IBS, isn't it?" Well, in so far as it can cause a painful stomach, yes.  AFAIK IBS has NEVER caused the death of anyone, though. Neither do they, usually, deal with IBS with a bowel re-section, or immune supressant drugs.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #829 on: 10 November, 2015, 01:20:35 pm »
AFAIK IBS has NEVER caused the death of anyone, though.

Suicide maybe, but that tends to be self-limiting by lack of lethal objects in arm's reach of the toilet.

None of these conditions are funny.

TBH, I don't think dietary fads are particularly funny either.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #830 on: 10 November, 2015, 02:11:56 pm »

Amen!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #831 on: 10 November, 2015, 02:24:18 pm »

Over the years I have heard MANY misconception about Crohn's, the most common of which is "Oh, that's sort of like IBS, isn't it?" Well, in so far as it can cause a painful stomach, yes.  AFAIK IBS has NEVER caused the death of anyone, though. Neither do they, usually, deal with IBS with a bowel re-section, or immune supressant drugs.

I have a problem with the abbreviations used for these things. IBD = Inflammatory Bowel Disease usually Crohns and Ulcerative Colitis (UC)
IBS =Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

My brane is easily confuddled.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #832 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:07:00 pm »
Mrs. B likes to tell her friends and colleagues that I suffer from IBS.

Irritable Bastard Syndrome, she points out.   >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #833 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:13:07 pm »
Better that than suffer from IDS.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #834 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:31:11 pm »
Gluten intolerance is indeed a state of mind, and as such a valuable social tool.
Please excuse me if I find this about as funny as a kick in the balls.

Some of us can't eat gluten. Some of us have been poked, prodded and tested using science and informed that we need to cease eating anything containing wheat or similar grains.

Some of us would love to be able to eat a takeaway pizza, buy cake, pastries, even a Ginster's pasty.
Fully appreciate your point - I guess gluten intolerance is a bit like OCD, in that it is common now to hear people claiming to be a bit bit OCD as if it were an interesting facet of their character - which I know pisses the hell out of actual sufferers for whom it can be a life of misery. Real conditions get trivialised when they are adopted as social accessories.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #835 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:44:43 pm »

¿Qué?   ???
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #836 on: 10 November, 2015, 06:55:38 pm »

¿Qué?   ???

One of these:

(click to show/hide)

Warning: may not be suitable for younger readers.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #837 on: 11 November, 2015, 12:12:35 am »

Yeah, my Crohn's is only a bit poo.

So I'm less concerned with finding toilets and more with the (now) annual black lizard ride.
It is simpler than it looks.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #838 on: 12 November, 2015, 03:16:36 am »
AFAIK IBS has NEVER caused the death of anyone, though.

Suicide maybe, but that tends to be self-limiting by lack of lethal objects in arm's reach of the toilet.

None of these conditions are funny.

Dietary fads are tedious.

If someone has a genuine dietary requirement I don't have a problem with going the extra mile to accommodate them. If someone is deathly allergic to something I don't want them going into anaphylactic shock when they come to have dinner with me. I don't really feel like hunting down obscure ingredients and rejigging the entire menu just because someone doesn't feel like eating dairy this week.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #839 on: 12 November, 2015, 01:21:23 pm »
My Dad and barakta are seriously lactose intolerant.
Obtaining Lactofree milk is very easy for a lazy online shopper.
I don't do much Clever Cookery so there's just all the other milk-free stuffs they can eat.
Simples.

I appreciate things would be different if I did Clever Cookery.
I'd probably just substitute Lactofree for ordinary cow juice throughout.

ian

« Reply #840 on: 12 November, 2015, 06:01:55 pm »
I think it's important to remember that criticising dietary fads doesn't mean that such issues don't exist, just that in many cases things like gluten intolerance are simply self-diagnosed and – to be cynical – attention seeking. I'm bean intolerant and I don't get an aisle in the supermarket. If you'd smelled me after a chile con carne you'd beg them to give me my own aisle, one that's hermetically sealed and in a galaxy a long, long way away. But seriously, I have a genuine, unpleasant and painful reaction to beans in any quantity.

If you spend any time in the US, you'll know the danger of peanuts. Now there's a significant and growing allergy problem and certainly peanuts have a couple of potent allergens. But, firstly, most reactions to peanuts are minor. Very, very few people have significant reactions. Most US parents will tell you about someone they know whose kid died from peanuts (which is unlikely, given that the death rate from peanut-associated anaphylactic shock hovers around one per year in the US) thusly the peanut panic (which spreads to all nuts, and there's no relationship at all between almonds, peanuts, and walnuts). There is no safe-level of peanuts and anyone who even, for a moment, thinks of peanuts is like Mr Hitler's Rabid Dog. Remember the story about someone opening a bag on a plane and causing a child to perhaps, nearly, a little bit die? An immune system needs a good kick to get going, that's not one peanut molecule per plane (new SI measure of peanuttery to be approved).

But it's strangely fashionable to parade a child as fashionably peanut (or otherwise) allergic. There's an entire trade in home diagnosis so parents don't have to go through the trouble of consulting an actual allergist.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #841 on: 12 November, 2015, 07:18:43 pm »
Peanut allergy is scary to treat (and must be VERY scary for patients and families).

It kills around 150/year in the USA according to Wiki.

ian

« Reply #842 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:15:09 pm »
I think that's all food allergies globally. CDC says about 1/year for peanuts and fairly steady. Perhaps under or over reported, reporting is poor. It's often unknown what the causative agent of fatal anaphylaxis is.

Anyway, it's not an argument that people aren't allergic to peanuts and in a small subset it can very serious, but that it's assumed to be a killer. The traffic pollution caused by parents driving their children to school will kill far more of them than peanuts will ever do. A vast industry had grown up around nuts, people really go out of their way in ways that the anti-gluten industry must envy to avoid stray peanut molecules. I know plenty of people who avoid peanuts but have certainly never been formally diagnosed. They remember once being ill. We also seem to have stretched the definition of nuts to the botanically meaningless 'tree nuts.' So you have peanut-allergic people who will die if they eat a cherry bakewell (peanuts are legumes, almonds are the kernel of type of peach stone).

Apropos of nothing, but my wife is convinced she'll die if stung by a bee. She was stung as a child and swelled up and had to be rushed to hospital. She's very sure about this. The other year, she related this story in front of her parents. They both claim it never happened, it was just a minor bee sting. I'm staying out of that one. I've never been stung by a bee or a wasp. We have an agreement.

barakta

« Reply #843 on: 12 November, 2015, 08:44:18 pm »
I don't have an official diagnosis of lactose intolerance. My GP said it wasn't worth testing for and the testing isn't 100% reliable.  I simply lost the ability to digest milk after a rather nasty bout of the noro. GP was actually surprised it didn't resolve in the months afterwards...  I hope my GP records have records of me complaining about it tho...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #844 on: 12 November, 2015, 10:00:23 pm »
My Dad would not accept he was lactose intolerant (despite Mum being convinced he was) without SCIENCE.

He had the tests and was off the scale.

He is happy on Lactofree.

barakta

« Reply #845 on: 12 November, 2015, 10:39:44 pm »
I'm clearly not 100% lactose intolerant as I can get away with hard cheese and some milk chocolate etc although I've never been much of a chocolate eater. I mainly can't eat milk/cream/yoghurt/creamcheese. 

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #846 on: 13 November, 2015, 04:45:44 am »
My Dad and barakta are seriously lactose intolerant.
Obtaining Lactofree milk is very easy for a lazy online shopper.
I don't do much Clever Cookery so there's just all the other milk-free stuffs they can eat.
Simples.

I appreciate things would be different if I did Clever Cookery.
I'd probably just substitute Lactofree for ordinary cow juice throughout.

Sure, if someone has a genuine requirement and they're worth inviting to dinner then they're worth making an effort to make sure they can actually eat dinner.

If someone just feels like being excessively picky this week I don't necessarily feel like making a special journey or placing a special order and paying delivery charges just to humour them.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #847 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:09:08 pm »
Sure, if someone has a genuine requirement and they're worth inviting to dinner then they're worth making an effort to make sure they can actually eat dinner.

If someone just feels like being excessively picky this week I don't necessarily feel like making a special journey or placing a special order and paying delivery charges just to humour them.

How do you tell the difference, thobut?

ian

« Reply #848 on: 13 November, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »
It seems to correlate strongly with belief in alternative healing practices, homeopathy, and hanging around Holland & Barrett stores.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #849 on: 13 November, 2015, 02:16:20 pm »
It seems to correlate strongly with belief in alternative healing practices, homeopathy, and hanging around Holland & Barrett stores.

But H&B sell those well tasty sweet chilli crackers. Deep fried goodness but as purchased from a health food shop entirely good for you!