Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229925 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #225 on: 04 June, 2015, 02:09:05 pm »
I used to spend my 10p pocket money on The Beano (8p) and a packet of crisps (2p). I think The Beano costs £2 now. More importantly, my favourite flavour is no longer salt and vinegar.

I didn't realise The Beano was available in a range of flavours.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #226 on: 04 June, 2015, 02:36:03 pm »
Sadly, it isn't anymore, but it used to be available in Whizzer and Chips flavour. This cost a whole 10p, which meant ironically I couldn't have crisps with my Chips.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuzzy

« Reply #227 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:34:27 pm »
My favourite flavour was KP fried onion crisps. Used to buy a bag of them, 4 fruit salad for a penny, 4 blackjacks for a penny and 2 lemon phantom chews for a penny. Occasionally I would get a Buttersnap bar instead of the chews.

« Reply #228 on: 04 June, 2015, 03:34:45 pm »

ian

« Reply #229 on: 04 June, 2015, 04:52:38 pm »
Ah, the 10p mix, that was a school day dilemma. Go for quantity and splurge on Mojos, two for a penny, or double up on 1p Black Jacks or Fruit Salad (this was the only fruit available in my town until 1993 when the first apple arrived and the Coop fruit and veg section started to be filled by something other than unusually shaped pieces of a coal). Assorted gobstoppers, bon-bons, cola and pineapple cubes, cola bottles (fizzy and flat), flying saucers, white faux-choc mice were available for a penny. Upgrade to 2p and you got the blue bubblegum stuff that tastes like no grape I've ever met, giant gobstoppers, licorice string, and other concoctions of gelatine.

The alternative was quality. The Curly Wurly rocked in a 7p, or a Chupa Chups at 4p (some vfm chewage there). Blowing the entire 7p in one go was a big deal.

The best plan was to maximize your spread and quantity and quality and save the Curly Wurly till Friday. You could get Milky Ways too, but they were – for some reason – regarded as girl food. Things were more complex in summer, since you'd need to figure in 2p or 5p ice pops.

Later, we discovered that it was perilously easy just to nick pick n mix from Woolies, as the counter was by the front door.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #230 on: 05 June, 2015, 10:43:44 pm »
I just paid 63p for a pack of polos. I remember when they were 10p.

Trying to think what else in my life time has gone up 6 times.

Youngster! I remember when they were 2½p.

The house my parents bought for £12K in 1968, when I was ten sold for £1.2M in 2012, so that's a factor of 100.

Must have been a big house! My parent's house, the one I grew up in, cost £9750 in 1977, and sold for £250k in 2002, then for £450k in 2007 (to be fair, between 2002 and 2007 the then owners did a LOT of work on it and the land attached)

5 bedrooms, one bathroom, no garage, no off-street parking, Hampstead Garden Suburb.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #231 on: 09 June, 2015, 10:18:10 pm »
Back on the subject of crap serving:

IMG_5082 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #232 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:15:28 pm »
I missed all the beer price chat. 11p a pint.

I only could manage ten pints in two hours though, so got by.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #233 on: 09 June, 2015, 11:18:12 pm »
I just paid 63p for a pack of polos. I remember when they were 10p.

Trying to think what else in my life time has gone up 6 times.

Youngster! I remember when they were 2½p.

The house my parents bought for £12K in 1968, when I was ten sold for £1.2M in 2012, so that's a factor of 100.

£500 1957
£3.75m 2010

Not sure of the factor, or who sold it for that much.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #234 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:38:49 am »
Back on the subject of crap serving:

IMG_5082 by The Pingus, on Flickr
It's rusty...? :-(

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #235 on: 10 June, 2015, 11:55:57 am »

fuzzy

« Reply #236 on: 10 June, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
Why the feck wasn't I force fed mature cheddar and ham toasties or cheese on toast as a younger?

Why has it taken until a month and a half before my 53rd buffday to realize I love the stuff?

Fuzzy- you may well be Super Twat >:(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #237 on: 11 June, 2015, 12:19:03 pm »
Limited edition Cappuccino Twix  :sick:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #238 on: 12 June, 2015, 09:42:56 am »
Why the feck wasn't I force fed mature cheddar and ham toasties or cheese on toast as a younger?

Why has it taken until a month and a half before my 53rd buffday to realize I love the stuff?

Seriously?

Hmm, now you need to try welsh rarebit (cheese sauce made with beer, very thick, spread on bread then toasted)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #239 on: 12 June, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

Seriously?

Hmm, now you need to try welsh rarebit (cheese sauce made with beer AND MUSTARD, very thick, spread on bread then toasted)

FTFY

fuzzy

« Reply #240 on: 12 June, 2015, 12:53:23 pm »

Seriously?

Hmm, now you need to try welsh rarebit (cheese sauce made with beer, very thick, spread on bread then toasted)

Yes, seriously.

As a sprog I hated the taste of cheese. The taste and texture made me heave. I therefore avoided it like the plague.

I later married a fellow cheese hater.

About 20 years ago we sampled a very small bit of pizza which we enjoyed and pizza entered the menu but, cheddar style cheeses were still to much.

Earlier this year SWMBO and I went to the Ideal Home Exhibition and tried a small sample of cheese and tomato toastie, cooked up to demo toastie bags. They were nice. We then discovered that the cheese was mature cheddar so started experimenting. In my case this included ham and cheese sandwiches.

« Reply #241 on: 18 June, 2015, 10:18:12 pm »
Coconut and lime cider... My first reaction was disgust.  On reading the label it turns out to be "pear cider"; there's a word for that! It's perry, for fuck's sake!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #242 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:09:27 am »

Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

[...]

Does not compute.

OUT OF CHEESE ERROR.  REDO FROM START.

« Reply #243 on: 19 June, 2015, 12:56:21 am »
As a sprog I hated the taste of cheese. The taste and texture made me heave. I therefore avoided it like the plague.

I later married a fellow cheese hater.

When I read this a few days ago I had to go and scoff some Roquefort just to restore the world to balance. I hadn't realised such people existed.

(Cheese currently in fridge: Stilton, mature Cheddar, aged Red Leicester, Reblochon, Brie, Manchego, Parmesan. Cheese recently finished (last day or two): Roquefort, Jarlsberg. Cheese less recently finished (last month or so): Chevre, Somerset goats, St Endellion, Ossau Iraty. Somehow it never seems enough.)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #244 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:40:04 am »
Blimey, that's some cheese habit you've got there!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #245 on: 19 June, 2015, 08:44:30 am »
You're the one that's posted pictures of the stuff!

(But yes, I do find myself apologising if I put together a cheese board and there are only six or seven on it .)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #246 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:16:00 am »
Such people do exist. I'm a cheese person and so, to an extent at least, is Mrs Cudzo, but together we've sprogged a cheese-abominater. Although he does like cottage cheese and similar white cheeses.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #247 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:21:17 am »
I love nothing better than a good cheese board, Mrs T can take it or leave it (though she does love Kit Calvert Wensleydale and an occasional bit of Iberico).  TLD is likewise not too bothered.

Those who have been to one can attest to the cheeseboard brought out at the end of my BBQs.  6 seems to be an optimum number, any more and it gets too confusing, any less and it seems stingy.

There should be:
A blue cheese
A soft cheese
Mousetrap
A crumbly cheese
A variation on one of the above (a soft blue cheese, for example)
A wildcard (this year I am trying to get hold of some Llanut)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #248 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:33:15 am »
Whilst I have always enjoyed cheese, I could never stand the smell of cooked cheese such as Welsh Rarebit or macaroni cheese. As a result i was in my twenties when I first tried pizza. Have been making up for it ever since.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

ian

« Reply #249 on: 19 June, 2015, 09:44:22 am »
I ate some blue cheese the other day and wasn't immediately violently sick, which was a surprise. Though I had to neutralise it with half a bottle of port, otherwise it'd still be crawling around in there. I can't eat goat cheese. No matter what they claim, it's congealed demon semen. Real cheese should be yellow and cheddary (I'll accept red). I confess to my secret desire for cheese food slices. O blessed Dairylea!