Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230323 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #325 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:55:27 pm »
Bugger. Beat me by a penny.
1/10d

I must have either started life on very cheap beer or broke the licensing laws a lot more than you other buggers. I am sure basic bitter was 1s 2d whereas Double Diamond was rather more expensive.

When I started college we could get a pint of Boddington's for 9p in the catholic club.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #326 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:42:42 am »
On God. Here we go.  In 1973? (so not early in my pub history, as I would have been in my early 20s) my mate and I borrowed ten bob off the girl in the flat upstairs.
With that, we caught the bus into town, went to the Greyhound, a cider pub on Holloway Head, got slaughtered on rough cider and caught the night bus back.

Cider, before Britain joined the EEC, was taxed differently to beer.
Getting slaughtered on it was probably easier in those days when I had less alcohol tolerance.
The Greyhound being a cider pub, sold only cider.  It was rough.  It was very rough.  If you were lucky, it only had twigs floating in it.  It was however, nowhere nearly as rough as its clientele.  Only the innocence and naivety of youth saved us from being killed.

I still owe her that ten bob.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #327 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:54:26 am »
On God. Here we go.  In 1973? (so not early in my pub history, as I would have been in my early 20s) my mate and I borrowed ten bob off the girl in the flat upstairs.
With that, we caught the bus into town, went to the Greyhound, a cider pub on Holloway Head, got slaughtered on rough cider and caught the night bus back.

Basil, You are on of Monty Python's Yorkshire businessmen AICMFP.

ian

« Reply #328 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:46:10 am »
Mangosteen is totally where it's at.  That is all.

I want one. To be honest, just saying 'mangosteen' is making me happy.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #329 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:35:40 pm »
Chewing gum manufacturers: I don't want tiny little tabs not worth chewing, I want proper old-fashioned sticks please.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #330 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:47:58 pm »
Went to Spaghetti House last night post-opera.
Had a salmon salad, partner had a pasta. We had drinks and a basket of bread.
The table was not really big enough for this.
I like my food on plates but the salad plate's diameter was over half the table's diameter.
I much prefer to dine on rectangular/square tables.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #331 on: 04 July, 2015, 12:02:48 am »
Anyway, the tropical fruit we had in Ecuador was quite nom  :P

Guanabana being the only one I remember the name of.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #332 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:20:28 pm »
Anyway, the tropical fruit we had in Ecuador was quite nom  :P

Guanabana being the only one I remember the name of.

I only go to places where the food is either taxonomically non-descript, comprises a small mountain range of stodge, or Bill's Big Ho-Ho Meal of Western Devil Food Torture.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #333 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:32:37 pm »
Typical botanist  ::-)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #334 on: 07 July, 2015, 09:55:29 am »
(Anticipates a certain floppy-haired physicist having a go at botanists in the next series of TIMC)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #335 on: 07 July, 2015, 01:00:35 pm »
TimC has a series?  :o
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #336 on: 07 July, 2015, 01:07:16 pm »
Has he ever been seen in the same room as Professor Brian Cox?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #337 on: 07 July, 2015, 01:31:17 pm »
When I started college we could get a pint of Boddington's for 9p in the catholic club.

When I started drinking in the Catholic club the priest bought the Guinness as we were all too young to buy alcohol. Junior Knights of St Columba, it was worth the religious lecture for the Guinness and snooker afterwords, plus it made my Mum happy.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #338 on: 07 July, 2015, 04:52:03 pm »

Thanks to Arby's just off I-81 in Virginia for serving me the most disgusting looking BLT I've seen in my life. It would be better described as a MBMLMTTMMM, i.e. mayonnaise, bacon, mayonnaise, lettuce, mayonnaise, tomato, tomato, mayonnaise, mayonnaise and mayonnaise. Seriously, think of the Monty Python spam sketch and swap spam for mayonnaise and you've got the idea. I hate mayonnaise, and hate tomato even more. Not only that the whole thing was stone cold.

What made the matter even worse was that I'd ordered the roast beef sandwich, and only discovered the surprise ingredients far enough up the interstate that I really couldn't be bothered to turn around and go back. It's like the burger chain who had the motto "you got it", which was particularly annoying when you got 10 miles up the road to find you hadn't got it at all.

Apparently one of Arby's "guest liaison operatives" will be in touch shortly to "make it right".
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

ian

« Reply #339 on: 07 July, 2015, 05:57:36 pm »
Americans get awfully confused when you order actual bacon, given that bacon is the Universal American Seasoning and as such they were probably going to add it anyway. That's bacon with bacon. There's a danger of an exponential bacon* situation. It's not a sandwich, but potentially a swirling vortex of porcine destruction. I didn't, to be honest, think that an American food place could put too little bacon on something. Not even Arby's We Have The Meats™ (seriously, they trademarked that).

Americans also think the antidote to bacon is mayonnaise. Or rather, processed egg food product, because it's just goo that oozes everywhere and causes your sandwich to slide apart so you end up with a Fistful of Meat. To confuse my Clint references, do you feel lucky? Well, evidently if you're going to Arby's.

Note that the world can go backwards on I-81, there's a section where you can both be going north on 81 and south on I-77 at the same time. Possible that can turn beef into bacon. Which is like the reverse of Creeping Sharia.

*Not that it's real bacon (up-thead passim).

« Reply #340 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:08:59 pm »
  MBMLMTTMMM, i.e. mayonnaise, bacon, mayonnaise, lettuce, mayonnaise, tomato, tomato, mayonnaise, mayonnaise and mayonnaise. Seriously, think of the Monty Python spam sketch and swap spam for mayonnaise and you've got the idea. I hate mayonnaise, and hate tomato even more. Not only that the whole thing was stone cold.
*drool*

contango

« Reply #341 on: 07 July, 2015, 10:59:29 pm »
Americans get awfully confused when you order actual bacon, given that bacon is the Universal American Seasoning and as such they were probably going to add it anyway. That's bacon with bacon. There's a danger of an exponential bacon* situation. It's not a sandwich, but potentially a swirling vortex of porcine destruction. I didn't, to be honest, think that an American food place could put too little bacon on something. Not even Arby's We Have The Meats™ (seriously, they trademarked that).

This particular Arby's got confused on the basis I didn't order bacon but they provided me with some anyway. It looked like it probably came from a Real Pig at some point. It had obviously been a while since it had been warmer than room temperature.

Americans also think the antidote to bacon is mayonnaise. Or rather, processed egg food product, because it's just goo that oozes everywhere and causes your sandwich to slide apart so you end up with a Fistful of Meat. To confuse my Clint references, do you feel lucky? Well, evidently if you're going to Arby's.

The mayonnaise did rather remind me of the cheese sauce that appears in some products. The one (and so far only, by design) time I tasted it I had to conclude it had never had anything to do with a cow. Unless perhaps some beef fat had been ground up into the mix somewhere to make it creamier greasier.

I must admit I rather like Arby's roast beef sandwiches, as long as they don't come with the cheese-like sauce (disclaimer: may not contain any actual cheese). I tried it once, and eating it while driving was an experience I don't care to repeat. Not only did the cheese-like-sauce taste decidedly unpleasant, its hugely lubricant properties meant it might have been easier to accept the inevitable and dump the whole thing in my lap. On reflection I could probably have used it to grease my wheel bearings, or maybe dropped it on the interstate to get the asshat who thought 3 feet was a suitable following distance at 70mph to rethink. When you just get a bread roll and enough roast beef that you need to disengage your jaws like a snake to eat it at all it's strangely pleasing, even if a little tricky to deal with one-handed on the interstate. Thankfully many miles of interstate contains very little Actual Traffic so for most of it you could weave freely across all three lanes and be very unlikely to hit anything. If you drift too far you hit the rumble strips that make a sound not unlike what I'd expect my stomach would have made had I attempted to eat the abominable Not Roast Beef Sandwiches.

Note that the world can go backwards on I-81, there's a section where you can both be going north on 81 and south on I-77 at the same time. Possible that can turn beef into bacon. Which is like the reverse of Creeping Sharia.

With the way one road can have multiple numbers I can see how that isn't as stupid as it might first appear (I looked, and joined I-81 at one end of the section you describe. Whether it was the north end or the south end is unclear...). It might be interesting to drive it the other way and see if bacon and endless mayonnaise-like-goo turned back into beef. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown them in the trash. It's going to be a few months before I'm driving that route again, but from the sight of the Not Roast Beef Sandwiches I wonder whether any of the ingredients would have gone bad by then.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #342 on: 07 July, 2015, 11:11:20 pm »
  MBMLMTTMMM, i.e. mayonnaise, bacon, mayonnaise, lettuce, mayonnaise, tomato, tomato, mayonnaise, mayonnaise and mayonnaise. Seriously, think of the Monty Python spam sketch and swap spam for mayonnaise and you've got the idea. I hate mayonnaise, and hate tomato even more. Not only that the whole thing was stone cold.
*drool*

If you're quick they may still be in the trash can at Arby's, at an exit around mile marker 313 on I-81.

I would say they'll be cold by now but they weren't exactly piping hot yesterday. If they've been left outside in the Virginia heat they'll have warmed up a little.

contango

« Reply #343 on: 08 July, 2015, 02:58:31 am »

Well, the rather grandiose-sounding Guest Support Assistant from Arby's didn't get back in touch yet.

I hope this isn't the end of Arby's being the preferred pit stop on a long drive, the other options are all lacking in their own ways. When we drove the other way we stopped at a Hardees (needing fuel and there not being an Arby's nearby) and the exchange with the assistant trying to find something on the menu that wasn't smothered in sauces was interesting. I say "interesting" as an alternative to "so annoying I wanted to strangle her".

I asked what they had available that wasn't smothered in sauces, and she explained that their burgers came with ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. So I asked if they had anything that didn't come with ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise. She suggested the small cheeseburger. I asked what it came with, and she explained that it came with ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. So I repeated my question more slowly, stressing that I didn't want any of those things on my food.

After a few rounds she said that they could do a small cheeseburger without the sauces, so I opted for that. They could probably have done anything without the sauces, but by then I was losing the will to live and struggling with the desire to feed the assistant into the meat grinder, so I settled for the small cheeseburger. When she said "small" she wasn't kidding. I didn't think they did small portions this side of the Atlantic but that cheeseburger was small.

On the plus side, it was a cheeseburger just how I requested it. On the other hand, for crying out loud, how many times do I have to tell some dimwit that when I don't want ketchup or mustard or mayonnaise it's not helpful to keep pointing me at things that come with all of those? At least she got the order right, and my mayonnaise-free burger didn't come with enough congealed white goo to sink a battleship.

ian

« Reply #344 on: 08 July, 2015, 08:34:00 am »
I do sort of like American sandwiches. That entire dislocate your jaw like you're a human anaconda to try and fit it in, and then you give up, and start to anatomize it, pulling out its innards and building an entire different meal. Americans just look at you. You can't fit that in your mouth? There's a joke in there, one you shouldn't make if you're sitting opposite your girlfriend's parents for the first time. Apparently.

You have reminded me that getting them to hold the mayonnaise is near impossible. The have someone in the back with the gloop cannon. Because they don't put butter on sandwiches, they feel an obligation to hose it down with processed egg food product and then complement it with slices of processed cheese food product. The result congeals into some novel kind of matter. I like the cheese food, but not the processed egg food. The worse thing about the faux-mayo is that it's sweet and I swear it gets sweeter the further south you go. Eventually, somewhere on the Georgia border they find they can't make mayo any sweeter, so they just start slapping bbq sauce on everything. That's just melted sugar and some chemical byproduct of the linoleum manufacturing process. By the time you get to Alabama they've started to fry the entire concoction and sprinkle it with sugar before they serve. They'll probably opt to roll it in maple syrup-style product to ensure the sugar sticks.

It's one of those American weirdnesses that you can order a salad and ask for it without lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and with the dressing on the side, and it'll come just like that. Ask for a sandwich without congealed sludge and they're calling Homeland Security.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #345 on: 08 July, 2015, 06:08:12 pm »
I am salivating at these descriptions of sandwiches. The idea of endless bacon bits in a sea of cheesy mayo with some sort of basic food elements hidden in there really gets my juices flowing. I suspect I may be a closet american.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #346 on: 09 July, 2015, 01:03:10 am »
I'm beginning to suspect that among the early colonists to Leftpondia were the Dean and Arch-Chancellor of the Unseen University. It's the only way to explain the preponderance of people wide enough for two chairs and the surfeit of condiments applied to mountains of dead animals stuck between two pieces of bread. ;)

Now, when is Man vs Food back on Freeview? ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

contango

« Reply #347 on: 09 July, 2015, 04:08:59 am »
I do sort of like American sandwiches. That entire dislocate your jaw like you're a human anaconda to try and fit it in, and then you give up, and start to anatomize it, pulling out its innards and building an entire different meal. Americans just look at you. You can't fit that in your mouth? There's a joke in there, one you shouldn't make if you're sitting opposite your girlfriend's parents for the first time. Apparently.

It is rather curious to be presented with a sandwich you can only just fit in your mouth, do battle with it, valiantly defeat it, only to realise your revelling in the Man Vs Meat Sandwich Defeat doesn't count for anything because you only ate the medium and there's a size bigger. Sometimes there are two sizes bigger. Seriously, you'd need two normal sized people just to eat a single sandwich in some of these places.

I remember a bagel shop in Manhatten I visited with three other people. We ordered our bagels, I saw the guy with the meat slicer doing his funky stuff with what looked like most of a pig, and he cut up a stack of ham. I figured that made sense, since there were four of us and we'd all ordered bagels with ham in them. Then he put the entire stack of ham in one bagel and started slicing some more. The bagel was then passed to someone else who repeated the process with cheese (proper sliced cheese, not the semi-liquid gloop that may have been within 50 feet of a cow but only by accident).

I suppose if you want to maintain an existence in which you weigh more than your SUV you need to take some serious calories on board and regularly, but aside from the Small Cheeseburger at Hardees it is remarkable just how many options exist out there that don't include a starter that those on the eastern side of the ocean wouldn't regard as a main course fit for two.

You have reminded me that getting them to hold the mayonnaise is near impossible. The have someone in the back with the gloop cannon. Because they don't put butter on sandwiches, they feel an obligation to hose it down with processed egg food product and then complement it with slices of processed cheese food product. The result congeals into some novel kind of matter. I like the cheese food, but not the processed egg food. The worse thing about the faux-mayo is that it's sweet and I swear it gets sweeter the further south you go. Eventually, somewhere on the Georgia border they find they can't make mayo any sweeter, so they just start slapping bbq sauce on everything. That's just melted sugar and some chemical byproduct of the linoleum manufacturing process. By the time you get to Alabama they've started to fry the entire concoction and sprinkle it with sugar before they serve. They'll probably opt to roll it in maple syrup-style product to ensure the sugar sticks.

Generally I've never had problems getting people to hold stuff, even if they do think I'm weird for it. The not-very-assistive-assistant at Hardees managed to cope with my order for a cheeseburger without ketchup or mustard or mayonnaise, although she looked as if she couldn't comprehend why anyone would want a burger you could actually taste because it wasn't covered with goop.

Most things get sweeter the further south you go. Iced tea is no exception. I order unsweetened tea here in Pennsylvania (most of the way north towards Canada) and aside from a few waitresses who ask if I want sweeteners with it (hint: if I wanted it sweet I'd have ordered the sweet tea), whereas once you get as far south as, say, the Carolinas it's debatable whether unsweetened tea is something you can mention in polite company at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the folks in Alabama shoot anyone who wants unsweet tea.

It's one of those American weirdnesses that you can order a salad and ask for it without lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and with the dressing on the side, and it'll come just like that. Ask for a sandwich without congealed sludge and they're calling Homeland Security.

Ah yes, the dressing on the side option. Highly advisable if you ordered the ranch dressing and don't want your green salad to contain 5,000 calories. I swear this is the only country where eating a salad can give you enough calories to see you through a hilly 300. It's still not as bad as the caramel dip you can buy in little tubs. The ingredients are essentially sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and you really don't want to read any further. It's hugely sweet, among the sweetest things I've ever tasted, and it makes ranch dressing look like a low calorie option.

ETA: On another note, the Guest Support Assistant from Arby's called today. It turned out to be the general manager of the branch that so royally screwed up my order, desperately apologetic that his staff had got my order wrong and ruined my afternoon (his words, mine were much less dramatic and much more sarcastic). He's going to send me some Arby's vouchers and said if I'm passing through again ask for him and he'll fix me up with two free combo meals. So complaining, although somewhat therapeutic, wasn't a wasted effort. The nearest Arby's is about 15 miles from here, but conveniently just opposite where one of my wholesale customers is based.

« Reply #348 on: 09 July, 2015, 07:00:03 am »
My bigest dissapointment in New York was Cheesecake.

Now I was "brought up" on books which described the cheesecakes of NY as the ultimate experience in that field.

I can assure you not so at all. They were tiny. I ask you tiny flat cheese cake in NY and it tasted rubbish. *sighs* What a let down.

OTOH it is true that if in doubt look for the cop eating, a sure sign of quality and so it proved. We took the subway to Brooklyn and got off at the terminus, which we did for every borough BTW, and there were very few places to eat but in a tiny little place there was the proverbial bobby stuffing his face.. and the pizza there was just awesome one of the greatest eating experiences or our lives. Seriously!

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

ian

« Reply #349 on: 09 July, 2015, 10:05:25 am »
Ah, the 5 megacalorie salad. T'is a thing of awesome beauty. I like ordering the salad. First, the waiter has to run through all the types of dressing balsamicfrenchranchrussianitalianbluecheesegreektasmanianpolkamanchegopapaprikafunkdieselbonanzaumbongogarlicshallot and then I make them repeat it because I'm slow and I think it's good maxillofaciallary exercise for them. Best to have it on the side though, unless you want the spectacle of your lettuce's death struggles as the ranch dressing pulls it down into the bacon-filled depths.

I also like the filling quotient of American sandwiches. They slice up an entire animal. In the UK, we've manage a single slice one molecule thick. An average British ham sandwich would, to any American, be vegetarian. Our fillings are practically homeopathic.

I was once terrorised outside Richmond by a huge waitress who insisted I had to have sweet tea. She wouldn't let me have it unsweetened. Seriously. She stood over me and watched me drink it while my girlfriend sniggered. Till she fell under the gaze. You too, sweetcheeks. (I think she might have actually said 'sweetcheeks'.) Every time we took a sip she'd get us a new refill. We had to visit every rest stop on I-73, not just to relieve ourselves but to run around in mad circles trying to expend the sugar rush. If you've seen the episode of the Simpsons where Bart and Milhouse hit the neat slushie syrup, you'll know the sensation.

A proper NY baked cheesecake is hard to find, but worth it. There's a place in Boerum Hill that serves baked slices of heaven and they put a dollop of proper ice cream on top just in case you're running a calorie deficit. The cop thing is a good tip, they're good at detecting handsome calories. A friend of mine is in the LAPD and he took us for ride in his police cruiser and anyway, we pull up in South Central by a group of heavily tattooed Hispanic gang stereotypes who all start giving us the eye. We then have to push through this crowd being very British, wielding Mac-10s of sorry, to find a grubby looking van serving what the people of Hackney call 'street food'. I got a burrito about the same size as a body wrapped in a carpet. And bless my gut, if it wasn't the most awesomely filthy burrito ever. I was in spicy, meaty, cheesy heaven.