Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230157 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #400 on: 17 July, 2015, 08:00:29 pm »
...they'd loaded it with two enormous oblongs of nshima, ...

Is nshima like ugali?  If so, unlucky you!  Like polenta but without so much as the appealing colour.

I've rarely been whelmed by a tropical fruit, other than a mango.

Never eaten mangosteen?

Yup, same stuff as you find throughout Africa, pap whatever. White polenta. Very bland. I tried to spice it up with an indelicate helping of sauce. If you'd ever had nali sauce, you'll know why this wasn't such a good idea. The best one was in Ghana once where the chef made a fish shape out of it and then stuck a fried fish head on the end. Et voilà, le poisson. Never figured out what happened to the rest of the fish. I'm not generally a fan of fish heads.

You know, I don't think I have eaten a mangosteen. But I'm really having a strong impression of a mango bursting out with Born in the USA.
I bought a mangosteen today.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #401 on: 17 July, 2015, 11:26:24 pm »
Quote from: wikipedia
Cullen skink is a thick Scottish soup made of smoked haddock, potatoes and onions.

The exact quantities may vary as does the use of milk or cream.

It's still hard to see who thinks a soup is improved by the addition of copious amounts of boiled onion. Although if the soup in question had been French Onion soup I'd have given them a pass on it. Even if the soup is supposed to be made with onion it's a seriously lame way of cheaping out to just load another couple of dozen onions into it while taking fish away. It's like biting into a steak and onion pie to find it contains a plateful of boiled onion and a couple of small bits of steak. There's steak in it and there's onion in it so it's technically a "steak and onion" pie but, you know.... It's like saying Starbucks serves coffee and pays taxes. Except it isn't even like that, because Starbucks seems tragically bad at either of those things. How about saying Amazon sells books and pays taxes.

In the meantime, another visit to Jersey Mike's sub shop resulted in not only half a cow between the two pieces of bread but also enough lettuce to keep the local farmers in business. Just when I thought they couldn't possibly put anything else in it, on went some onion, pickles, jalapenos, banana peppers and probably some other stuff they snuck in while I wasn't looking.

Either way it tasted awesome, and gave my jaw muscles more of a workout than they've had since, well, the last time we were at Jersey Mike's trying to eat the Big Kahuna Cheesesteak Sub.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #402 on: 18 July, 2015, 07:53:10 am »
B&B owners - two gulps does not a tea make. Please to be supplying a mug sized object.

contango

« Reply #403 on: 18 July, 2015, 07:07:44 pm »
B&B owners - two gulps does not a tea make. Please to be supplying a mug sized object.

Better still, given teabags aren't exactly expensive when compared to the cost of an overnight stay, how about the freedom to drink lots of tea for those that want it?

It really is the equivalent of the poncey pubs that serve "a portion of chips" when you can count the chips without even looking at them individually. Potatoes aren't expensive, and a mountain of chips gives the impression of good value whereas getting four chips gives the impression of being shafted.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

contango

« Reply #404 on: 21 July, 2015, 09:59:08 pm »

Not so much a rant as a comment about portion sizes.

I took the bike out today to explore a few trails. On the way back I mysteriously veered off the road towards an ice cream vendor. I made the mistake of ordering the medium ice cream, which would have counted as something beyond extra large in any UK cafe. I'm sure I aged noticeably in the time it took to eat the leviathan.

Rumours abound regarding the fate of the last person to order the jumbo ice cream. Legend has it that upon being served the ice cream promptly underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole, sucking in the unfortunate customer. I'm not sure if that's true but it could explain why the outlet in question seems to change hands every few years.

ian

« Reply #405 on: 22 July, 2015, 09:34:33 am »
And so the loneliest, loneliest olive. Look, purveyors of Italian restaurants, leaves alone do not make a salad. Merely plonking a few anorexic slivers of parmesan and a small yarmulke of a parma ham on top doesn't make it all better. It's a salad, it should have other vegetables in it. And not just one suicidal olive. Some tomatoes? A cucumber? Peppers? A fancy artichoke or three? Not just a fistful of leaves that cost more than a Greek debt repayment. Yes, I'd would like some more bread, thanks, before I starve to death at the table.

At least there was bread. Say you want about our European neighbours, they've not entirely sunk into barbarity and understand that a meal should have a structure. I'll be honest, the best thing about our Gallic chums is the bread. I could go there for just breakfast. I can eat about eighteen baguettes in a single sitting.

All serves me right for going to an Italian restaurant in France. Made it all right with an epic Lyonnaise salad the next evening. There was enough pig in that to please even an American.

Yeah, the US ice cream portion thing. I once ordered some kind of sundae in Chicago which involved umpteen flavours of ice cream and all kinds of add-ins topped with several gallons of whipped cream. It really was something. My wife had to help carry it to the table. It wasn't even the large size. The two of us couldn't finish it. They say it takes a village. It would have done to finish that portion.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #406 on: 23 July, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
Silly things to serve food and drink in, part 112: at Boston Tea Party yesterday, a bottle of juice was decanted into a cross between a jar and a mug. It was the size of a mug and had a handle, but was made of glass and had a screw thread at the top. I'm told the juice was good anyway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

contango

« Reply #407 on: 24 July, 2015, 05:38:49 am »
Silly things to serve food and drink in, part 112: at Boston Tea Party yesterday, a bottle of juice was decanted into a cross between a jar and a mug. It was the size of a mug and had a handle, but was made of glass and had a screw thread at the top. I'm told the juice was good anyway.

Reminds me of the bar I was in many years ago in a sleepy corner of Pennsylvania. This was long before I knew what real beer was, and considered Budweiser on tap to be about as good as it got. Anyway, this bar had something passable to my palate at the time (IIRC it was something like Yuengling), and as I ordered my third pint of it the barmaid said it was cheaper by the quart. So I ordered a quart of it, and was basically presented with what looked like an oversized jam jar with some form of handle attached.

You may draw your own conclusions regarding the alcohol content of said beer from the fact that after drinking a gallon of the stuff I was still walking and perfectly coherent. That much Stella would have put me under the table.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #408 on: 24 July, 2015, 07:35:58 am »
We were in a pseudo-English pub in Assen (NL) once, but the only BEER on tap was the usual insipid Dutch wee-wee.  A member of our party talked the barman into using the decoration-only pint mugs for our party, to save shoe leather.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #409 on: 24 July, 2015, 10:03:14 am »

Reminds me of the bar I was in many years ago in a sleepy corner of Pennsylvania. This was long before I knew what real beer was, and considered Budweiser on tap to be about as good as it got. Anyway, this bar had something passable to my palate at the time (IIRC it was something like Yuengling), and as I ordered my third pint of it the barmaid said it was cheaper by the quart. So I ordered a quart of it, and was basically presented with what looked like an oversized jam jar with some form of handle attached.

You may draw your own conclusions regarding the alcohol content of said beer from the fact that after drinking a gallon of the stuff I was still walking and perfectly coherent. That much Stella would have put me under the table.

In a small town off the Potomac the other year we had a pleasant meal in a nice restaurant off the main street. They served Chimay by the pint (I want to say Blue, but I suspect given the amount imbibed and the fact that I didn't try to swim the Potomac, that it was Red). It wasn't in the right glass though.

I remember the first time I was in the US, going to a party and drinking (with a friend) an entire case of MGD to no effect other than my spending a lot of time queuing to use the toilet.

« Reply #410 on: 24 July, 2015, 12:11:41 pm »
When I was younger and dafter a mate and I found ourselves in a small town in the Ardennes. We found a pleasant bar with a good range of beers, so we got stuck in. After a few, Jon lost  the capacity to speak sensibly, so he wandered over to a display fridge, selected two bottle of a brew that we had not yet tried, paid, and had them opened and started to return to the table. The bar went quiet, a group of girls tried not to laugh, everyone else looked utterly shocked, and the barman ran to our table; we didn't have the correct glasses for the beer.

contango

« Reply #411 on: 24 July, 2015, 08:22:10 pm »

In a small town off the Potomac the other year we had a pleasant meal in a nice restaurant off the main street. They served Chimay by the pint (I want to say Blue, but I suspect given the amount imbibed and the fact that I didn't try to swim the Potomac, that it was Red). It wasn't in the right glass though.

I remember the first time I was in the US, going to a party and drinking (with a friend) an entire case of MGD to no effect other than my spending a lot of time queuing to use the toilet.

It's odd, some of what passes for beer here is shockingly tragic. I struggled to avoid the social awkwardness associated with a friend serving Pabst Blue Ribbon a couple of weeks ago so took a can out of politeness. He's normally into craft beer (used to brew extensively himself) and every once in a while buys cheap rubbish to clear his palate and remind him of why he pays more for good stuff.

Then on the other hand you've got things like the Dogfish Head Theobroma beer I bought recently that comes in 750ml bottles and is about 9% abv. After a gallon of whatever it was I mentioned previously I'd have been perfectly OK to drive home (I didn't, but I have no doubt I could have done) but after a single bottle of Theobroma you won't want to be driving any time soon. Then you've got things like Stone beers - their Double Bastard Ale comes in a 22oz bottle and is about 11.6%abv, RuinTen is a massively hopped triple IPA that also comes in a 22oz bottle and isn't far shy of 11% abv, and so on.

It's strange to think that a single bottle of beer could leave you over the limit for driving for several hours, while other beer seems to make abominations like Kaliber look like they represent debauchery.

ian

« Reply #412 on: 24 July, 2015, 09:03:16 pm »
If you get the chance, go to Stone's brew restaurant place in Escondido. We got chatting with someone in authority there, had a fine evening, and when we got back to the UK there was a big case of beer waiting. Being English has its perks (and I told them how I'd fallen out of the sky on the way to San Diego, and the waitress brought me free beer). Also reminds of the time I bumped into the Sierra Nevada sales team in my Philadelphia hotel bar. Beer guinea pig, you say? Oh, and Rogue in San Fran. Well, chaps if you insist I try. I make it my business to the find beer salespeople. I got sales radar.

I've always assumed the piss weak US beers were orientated around the need to drive. I don't think it's possible to drink enough MGD to fail a field sobriety test. The only danger is that if takes too long you'll start pissing like a out-of-control sprinkler attachment which could make you stumble off the straight line.

contango

« Reply #413 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:25:19 am »
If you get the chance, go to Stone's brew restaurant place in Escondido.

Sadly I'm pretty much diagonally opposite them as far as the US is concerned. If I were even remotely close to it I'd certainly swing by, I've enjoyed almost every single one of their beers I've ever tried. The ones that fell flat weren't beers I disliked, just not beers I liked enough to buy again.

We got chatting with someone in authority there, had a fine evening, and when we got back to the UK there was a big case of beer waiting. Being English has its perks (and I told them how I'd fallen out of the sky on the way to San Diego, and the waitress brought me free beer). Also reminds of the time I bumped into the Sierra Nevada sales team in my Philadelphia hotel bar. Beer guinea pig, you say? Oh, and Rogue in San Fran. Well, chaps if you insist I try. I make it my business to the find beer salespeople. I got sales radar.

If I do make it there I'll be sure to lay on the accent good and thick.

I like the Rogue beers I've tried. I'd always thought of Sierra Nevada as being nasty generic yellow rubbish until I tried Torpedo and Hop Hunter (I'm rather partial to IPA, the hoppier the better). I'm sure hops will become an endangered species what with beers like Torpedo and Stone's totally bonkers RuinTen. I've got a bottle of that sitting in my cellar waiting for the ideal moment to drink it.

I've always assumed the piss weak US beers were orientated around the need to drive. I don't think it's possible to drink enough MGD to fail a field sobriety test. The only danger is that if takes too long you'll start pissing like a out-of-control sprinkler attachment which could make you stumble off the straight line.

I think it's as much about the marketing as anything else. Since in rural areas of the US it's nigh on impossible to go anywhere without driving it's not as if the concept of the designated driver is lost here, and in particularly remote areas it seems a fair number of people regard the DUI limits as advisory and make their own decision whether they are safe to drive (coming from London that sounds utterly bonkers, but it's marginally easier to understand in the light of the fact you're almost guaranteed not to encounter another car on your journey home)

Certainly drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon is the kind of thing that induces vomiting from the sheer volume of carbonated liquid long before the alcohol has any measurable effect.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #414 on: 25 July, 2015, 06:38:06 pm »

Bizarrely you still get hung over if you guzzle enough of the swill.  Bud Light, in this case.  Well, it was free.  And the shops were shut.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #415 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:32:07 pm »

Never heard of Yuengling (sounds Chinese) but Budweiser would have me vomitting long before a gallon, and not from the alcohol. OTOH I'm off to Prague in a week or so and am looking forward to some proper Budweiser from Budweiser. And I bet it won't be served in a jam jar!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #416 on: 25 July, 2015, 08:43:48 pm »
Here is a list of ingredients that BEER should contain:
  • water
  • hops
  • barley1
  • yeast
  • the swim bladder of the Atlantic sturgeon (optional)
Here is a list of ingredients that BEER should not contain:
  • rice
  • fruit
  • chocolate
  • anything else which makes it smell funny
  • a bit of fucking lime jammed in the neck of the bottle
  • rats

1: Or wheat, if you like wheat BEER

« Reply #417 on: 25 July, 2015, 09:16:40 pm »
I recall Yuengling (Pennsylvania Dutch, innit) being pretty good when I tried it - a Wiener lager style. But then I had just come off 6 weeks without a decent drink (i.e. only Bud), so my palate may have been skewed.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #418 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:07:08 pm »
  • water
  • hops
  • barley1
  • yeast
  • rice
  • fruit
  • chocolate
  • rats

:thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #419 on: 25 July, 2015, 11:37:36 pm »
  • water
  • hops
  • barley1
  • yeast
  • rice
  • fruit
  • chocolate
  • rats

Reinheitsgebot is a beautiful word.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

contango

« Reply #420 on: 26 July, 2015, 04:25:25 am »
  • water
  • hops
  • barley1
  • yeast
  • rice
  • fruit
  • chocolate
  • rats

I'd agree with most of that, but question the chocolate. Not that I want a beer to taste like a bar of chocolate, but the Dogfish Head Theobroma beer is made with cocoa nibs (among other things) and tastes truly divine.

A friend of mine said some years ago that if the government were to impose a 1000% VAT on bits of lime put into crappy Mexican beers they could close the budget deficit overnight.

contango

« Reply #421 on: 26 July, 2015, 05:15:29 am »
I recall Yuengling (Pennsylvania Dutch, innit) being pretty good when I tried it - a Wiener lager style. But then I had just come off 6 weeks without a decent drink (i.e. only Bud), so my palate may have been skewed.

From what I can tell Yuengling started life as a mediocre beer, then got bought by some company and then enjoyed a new lease of life as a mediocre beer with a billion dollar advertising budget.

To be honest it's passable, I'd drink it in preference to things like Bud Lite, but it's not the sort of thing I'd rave about drinking.

ian

« Reply #422 on: 26 July, 2015, 01:00:22 pm »
Yuengling has been around forever and these days, like Sam Adams, do that mass produced craft beer. Generally a better option than industrial bilge (seriously, people drink Budweiser in the UK, when they have a choice, it's worse that our own Carlsbergs/Carlings, and that's like comparing the merits of different urine samples, it's all piss and you're drinking it voluntarily). But indeed, I wouldn't cross the street for it, especially given that craft beer is everywhere in the US these days. It's the sort of stuff you'd take a party on the grounds that most of it will get guzzled by someone else (while you steal the nice stuff).

I sadly can't agree with Mr Larrer's beer list, I have some lovely rice beers in Japan (though I'd agree that generally rice and corn-based industrial effluent beers are to be avoided and anyone that drinks Corona should have a lime wedge shoved down their throat to keep them quiet while you shoot them), you can't condemn fruit once you've held a good, sour kriek, and you want all kinds of weird playing in good wheat beer, and I'll give chocolate a shot in a stout or porter. The rigorous adherence to a strict set of ingredients give you German beer that ranges from the insipid (Becks) through to the stolid, if dull.

But yes, this is a rant thread, so sod taxes, I say we hunt anyone who produces, drinks, or otherwise engages with 'tequila-flavoured' Mexican beer products with big angry dogs.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #423 on: 26 July, 2015, 01:21:01 pm »
Krieks is foul.  Various other Belgian aberrations fall into the same category and also smell funny.  Even Hoegaarden is a bit suspect with the orange peel and coriander.  German Hefeweizen is perfectly palatable without needing to be disguised as a fruit cake.

As for Corona, when I first visited USAnia the choice in Battle Mountain was between the usual domestic swill and slightly less rank Mexican stuff like Corona or Dos Equis.  Happily things have improved since 2002 and the place even has a proper liquor store.  Though the best stuff we ever had there was the year my chum Jeff blagged half a people-carrier of freebies from the Full Sail brewery of Hood River OR and gave it away to anyone who wanted it.

« Reply #424 on: 26 July, 2015, 02:52:10 pm »
Driving through the Mostviertel in Austria, we stopped off at Grein to break the journey overnight. I knew most was cider, so ordered a half litre. 'Mit spritze?' or summat like that was said by the waiter. I declined the offer of soda water and he looked surprised. The cloudy cider arrived and was knocked back quite rapidly. It had been a long drive and it was hot. A top up was ordered, the same question asked and the same response given. After I'd knocked it back quickly again, I started to feel the kick. Only then did I look at the drinks menu to find it was 9.5% and all the locals add soda water to it. It wasn't all that nice either. Westons Vintage is far superior, although Old Rosie is closer in style, I spose.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.