Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 228603 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #775 on: 26 October, 2015, 01:07:48 pm »
The obsessional in me always seeks the weight of the product and its e

« Reply #776 on: 26 October, 2015, 10:43:55 pm »
Would it be allowed to make an item which weighed e grams. Ideally something egg based,  with "ege" as the label.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #777 on: 27 October, 2015, 04:14:33 am »
I tried aubergine again (in Leon, they've disappointingly discontinued the peas). Clare is still winning. Gave them away after I'd licked the sauce off them. Just rubbery meh.

In the great battle, round one goes to the avocado which comparatively sparkled as much as a bland green veg can.

Those aubergines are shite. I had them recently and they were undercooked rubbish.

Seriously though, how much do you have to cook them before they taste of anything but meh? They taste like all aubergines. Rubbery disks of disappointment, floundering in a sauce that knows it's not up to the task of making it all worthwhile. Potted despair.

I'm going to ask Jamie Oliver to work with me on banning them.

If you cook an aubergine at 400 degrees for about six hours it tastes of charcoal, which tastes better than aubergine. Not that that's saying much. You can also write with them, which is probably about the only potential use for an aubergine except possibly as a projectile weapon.

I only drink advocaat on special occasions, I think my bottle dates back to the early 2000s and lives in the cupboard of random cocktail ingredients (you know, the place you keep the Blue Bols).

Perhaps we do agree on the advocaat issue, because I also drink it only on special occasions. I'm thinking the 10th anniversary of my death would be the first such special occasion ever to occur.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #778 on: 27 October, 2015, 08:20:38 am »
I just purchased a fine luncheon of snickers bars - 4 for a £1 deal in Tesco. Imagine my disgust when on opening the generously proportioned outer wrapping I discovered the actual bars are tiny! This is yet another example of Tescos losing the plot. I will in future buy the imitation mars bars in Aldi.

Nothing to do with Tesco - they're just the retailer. Manufacturers have been doing this for years. Save your ire for them.

Now, Majestic. Oh, so you've decided that the 6 bottle minimum will be scrapped have you? So there I was (foolishly of course) hoping we'd see pricing as in Scotland (where alcohol promotions are illegal) and get decent single bottle prices. But no. I look at a Cotes de Rhone I like, which used to be around £9 a bottle "single" price, reduced to £7 each if you bought 2 (as part of a 6 bottle case).  Now £10.65 each with a "discount" of 25% - but only if you buy 6! So the discount is still only available if you buy 6 (although it can be 6 individual bottles now, but the discount may only be 10% in that case). First World complaint or what  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #779 on: 27 October, 2015, 08:59:01 am »
Perhaps we do agree on the advocaat issue, because I also drink it only on special occasions. I'm thinking the 10th anniversary of my death would be the first such special occasion ever to occur.
Never drunk Advocaat, but I made my own eggnog at Christmas last year and it was FAB.  I'm a sucker for spicy, alcofrolic beverages, though...  I've got some spiced sloe rum happily infusing in the depths of my cellar.  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #780 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:30:49 pm »
I bought mature cheddar instead of extra strong super mature vintage veteran. It is only fit for toasted sandwiches, and barely for that.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #781 on: 27 October, 2015, 04:53:56 pm »
I bought mature cheddar instead of extra strong super mature vintage veteran. It is only fit for toasted sandwiches, and barely for that.
I feel your pain. No1Daughter is now the resident shopper, in lieu of paying board, and for 2 weeks now has bought lighter cheddar.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #782 on: 27 October, 2015, 05:51:49 pm »
I feel your pain. No1Daughter is now the resident shopper, in lieu of paying board, and for 2 weeks now has bought lighter cheddar.

Eviction is too good for her!

ian

« Reply #783 on: 27 October, 2015, 08:33:30 pm »
I don't know, when I die I want to be wrapped in Dairylea cheese slices and lightly toasted.

fuzzy

« Reply #784 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:18:19 pm »
I know this is a Huge Fearing Whatsisname inspired story but, what a fucking waste of good, edible comestibles- just cos they fail the 'catwalk vegetable' test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34647454

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #785 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »
I fear for your daughter's soul. She needs stern action now, before she treads further on the road to margarine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #786 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »
I don't know, when I die I want to be wrapped in Dairylea cheese slices and lightly toasted.

Plastic cheese has its uses, dirtying up burgers etc. There is no excuse for lighter cheddar or any low fat cheese. Yuck.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #787 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:08:14 pm »
I fear for your daughter's soul. She needs stern action now, before she treads further on the road to margarine.
If my grandma wasn't long-dead, you could have sent the boablet to her for re-education.  My between-meals treat at her house was a slab of decent cheddar, spread thickly with butter and dipped in sugar. 

(I have, I believe, mentioned my blocked artery previously...)

« Reply #788 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:12:11 pm »
I know this is a Huge Fearing Whatsisname inspired story but, what a fucking waste of good, edible comestibles- just cos they fail the 'catwalk vegetable' test

That is absolutely effing ridiculous.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #789 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:25:23 pm »

When buying fruit and veg in other countries in Europe, it is quite remarkable for
(a) not looking perfect; and
(b) tasting at least 100 times better.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #790 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:10:07 am »

When buying fruit and veg in other countries in Europe, it is quite remarkable for

I am all for misshapen veg but I dont see how it can taste 100x better. 
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

ian

« Reply #791 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:28:58 am »

Plastic cheese has its uses, dirtying up burgers etc. There is no excuse for lighter cheddar or any low fat cheese. Yuck.

Low fat cheese is an abomination. I love plastic cheese (elegantly named in the US as 'processed cheese food product') possibly more than any other kind of cheese [food product]. One of my favourite sandwiches is just that. It has zen-like simplicity. If you want to jazz it up, add some ready salted crisps.

Hmm, crisp sandwiches in general. I know there will be those of you who swear by the Monster Munch sandwich (and I'm not saying a pickled onion Monster Munch sandwich is a bad thing) but Walkers Ready Salted between buttered bread. Oh my. That satisfying crunch as you squish the top of the sandwich down. That's the sound of my childhood, that is.

« Reply #792 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:54:44 am »

I am all for misshapen veg but I dont see how it can taste 100x better.
Usually the better taste is an accidental result of the veg/fruit having been picked for ripeness or aroma. Or being a specific variety that tastes good rather than looking cosmetically perfect.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #793 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:04:57 pm »
Hmm, crisp sandwiches in general.

Such a shame, ian, that you don't live near Keighley.

« Reply #794 on: 29 October, 2015, 01:47:00 pm »
Hmm, peanut butter and crisp sandwiches, with salad cream on the side.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #795 on: 29 October, 2015, 07:10:53 pm »
Hmm, crisp sandwiches in general. I know there will be those of you who swear by the Monster Munch sandwich (and I'm not saying a pickled onion Monster Munch sandwich is a bad thing) but Walkers Ready Salted between buttered bread. Oh my. That satisfying crunch as you squish the top of the sandwich down. That's the sound of my childhood, that is.

I'm all for nostalgic crisp sandwiches, but Walkers have minged ever since they started frying them in triffid oil.  Not wanting to support the triffid industry (any apocalypse where the winners end up holed up on the Isle of Wight is best avoided in my book), I eschew Walkers except for salt-depletion pub ride emergencies.

« Reply #796 on: 29 October, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »

To my mind it is being a helper at cub camp, so similar. With a sugar sandwich for afters.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #797 on: 29 October, 2015, 11:51:12 pm »
Ack and, moreover, ptui!  What kind of a sillybollocks puts fucking cloves in with rice :sick:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #798 on: 30 October, 2015, 08:42:50 am »

To my mind it is being a helper at cub camp, so similar. With a sugar sandwich for afters.

My childhood abounds with Deth Sandwiches. There is your perennial favourite the aforementioned crisp sandwich. For variety there is the condensed milk sandwich. The alluded to sugar sandwich- granulated, brown, demerera depending on the mood and the tomato ketchup sandwich.

Why am I still alive? I didn't think my Nan had it in for me.

« Reply #799 on: 30 October, 2015, 10:27:49 am »
... Walkers Ready Salted between buttered bread. Oh my. That satisfying crunch as you squish the top of the sandwich down. That's the sound of my childhood, that is.

It's also the sound of my dotage.