Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 228576 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #800 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »
Ack and, moreover, ptui!  What kind of a sillybollocks puts fucking cloves in with rice :sick:
Me, if I'm making pilau.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #801 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:50:09 pm »
Pshaw!  It's like eating twigs.  Do I look like a giraffe?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #802 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:52:41 pm »
Giraffes eat leaves.  It's ducks that eat twigs.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #803 on: 30 October, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »

Um, we didn't want to say but we've been meaning to have the conversation with you for some time.

"Your father, your father was actually a giraffe".

Apparently he ended up in Dudley zoo.  It's a sad story really.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #804 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:15:11 pm »

Ducks eat bread, in spite of the best efforts of some bunch of dogoodniks trying to persuade people to feed them with things that are not bread, like sweet cron, peas, coal, Lewis Hamilton ect ect.

ETA: giraffes do eat twigs, also grass, fruit, power tools and retired Headmasters of minor public schools.  I read it on the Internet, apart from the bits I just made up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #805 on: 30 October, 2015, 01:59:58 pm »

Ducks eat bread, in spite of the best efforts of some bunch of dogoodniks trying to persuade people to feed them with things that are not bread, like sweet cron, peas, coal, Lewis Hamilton ect ect.

Ohdog, not again.

The "do ducks eat bread or sticks" debate was an ongoing argument between me and one of my exes.  We eventually resorted to empirical testing, but the results were declared invalid because:  a) Toast isn't the same as bread  b) Yes, the duck ate the twigs, but it spat them out again afterwards  and  c) The ducks were chased off by a mob of geese who'd got wind of baked goods before we could repeat the experiment.

We concluded that geese were bullies, and twigs probably tasted better than the college toast anyway.

« Reply #806 on: 30 October, 2015, 02:47:38 pm »

Think yourself lucky it wasn't cinnamon bark. Or cardamom pods.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #807 on: 30 October, 2015, 09:28:40 pm »
Or allspice seeds.  :sick:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #808 on: 30 October, 2015, 11:28:37 pm »
Or glass.  Muslims are forbidden to eat glass.  It says so, right there, in the Koran.  Or was it The Hackenthorpe Book Of Lies?

ian

« Reply #809 on: 04 November, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »
I love hiding cloves, cardamon seeds, random aromatic twigs, and occasional rocks in my pilau rice. It makes it look like I know what I'm doing. I sometimes get out recipe books 'for inspiration' though I can rarely be bothered with all that instruction following tomfoolery. Pan. Oil. Fire. I'm a culinary caveman.

I just ate a bad strawberry. You know the mouldy, funky taste. They were all like that. Tricked me into thinking that were fine, but they tasted of mould and nothing else. Worse, I tried half the pack before I gave up. Ick. Fruit are dangerous.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #810 on: 04 November, 2015, 08:43:02 pm »
This ^^^^.  Mama Cass choked utterly to DETH on a kumquat.  Trufax1.

1: Lie.

« Reply #811 on: 05 November, 2015, 06:18:47 pm »
[
My childhood abounds with Deth Sandwiches. There is your perennial favourite the aforementioned crisp sandwich. For variety there is the condensed milk sandwich. The alluded to sugar sandwich- granulated, brown, demerera depending on the mood and the tomato ketchup sandwich.

Why am I still alive? I didn't think my Nan had it in for me.

Mine used to feed me dripping butties! Nom!

Hmmmm...    Beef dripping garlic butter   :P
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #812 on: 05 November, 2015, 07:59:50 pm »
Insect restaurant opens in St Davids. Yuck! Will be some time before ‘entomophagy’ makes its mark with me thinks.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #813 on: 06 November, 2015, 05:14:22 am »
Perhaps we do agree on the advocaat issue, because I also drink it only on special occasions. I'm thinking the 10th anniversary of my death would be the first such special occasion ever to occur.
Never drunk Advocaat, but I made my own eggnog at Christmas last year and it was FAB.  I'm a sucker for spicy, alcofrolic beverages, though...  I've got some spiced sloe rum happily infusing in the depths of my cellar.  :thumbsup:

A friend of mine soaked a moruga scorpion pepper in a half-bottle of vodka. That stuff is evil. He said when the pepper was newly introduced to the vodka he could see a blob of capsaicin emerge from it and float to the top of the vodka.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

fuzzy

« Reply #814 on: 06 November, 2015, 01:39:46 pm »
[
My childhood abounds with Deth Sandwiches. There is your perennial favourite the aforementioned crisp sandwich. For variety there is the condensed milk sandwich. The alluded to sugar sandwich- granulated, brown, demerera depending on the mood and the tomato ketchup sandwich.

Why am I still alive? I didn't think my Nan had it in for me.

Mine used to feed me dripping butties! Nom!

Hmmmm...    Beef dripping garlic butter   :P

Just had for the first time- white bread roll cut in half. Peanut butter (crunchy) on one half. Marmite on the other, ready salted crisps in between.

Nom nom nom :D

« Reply #815 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:48:48 pm »
Been asked to help get some Moet MCiii champagne, as it's quite hard to get in Asia, as they won't sell it direct to public. Just called Moet in UK and they just asked how many bottles did I want, only £330 a pop.

It's a bottle of blended vintage champagnes. Not too ostentatious then

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #816 on: 08 November, 2015, 08:26:26 am »
I keep seeing references to things being gluten free. Tried some foul gluten free bread. Apparently huge numbers of us are gluten intolerant these days. I have a sneaky suspicion this is yet another way of appearing interesting for insecure narcissists, but maybe there is something in it. I base this on noting that the obnoxious attention seeking clothes horse lady vegetarian member of Mrs tigers book group, around whom menus and book choices have to be negotiated, is now also gluten intolerant. I wonder if perhaps I ought to be gluten intolerant too. Gluten certainly sounds nasty, sort of squelchy and buttock related so no wonder people are avoiding it. Maybe it needs to be rebranded, more wheat related.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #817 on: 08 November, 2015, 08:34:02 am »
I have a sneaky suspicion this is yet another way of appearing interesting for insecure narcissists, but maybe there is something in it.
I wonder if perhaps I ought to be gluten intolerant too.

There you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #818 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:20:06 am »
Fantastic link. Like an instruction manual for life today. Gluten intolerance is indeed a state of mind, and as such a valuable social tool. I guess the problems come when two gluten intolerants attend the same meal. The stakes would need to be raised to coeliac level then. Or Crones or something.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #819 on: 08 November, 2015, 09:31:36 am »
Fantastic link. Like an instruction manual for life today. Gluten intolerance is indeed a state of mind, and as such a valuable social tool. I guess the problems come when two gluten intolerants attend the same meal. The stakes would need to be raised to coeliac level then. Or Crones or something.

Crohn's completely unrelated to diet.

Unless, of course you meant old ladies with crooked nose and warty faces, in which case, carry on.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

rr

« Reply #820 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:07:33 pm »
Aldi Gin and Tonic Crisps

Yuck where's the gin

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #821 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:11:34 pm »
Aldi Gin and Tonic Crisps

Yuck where's the gin

Pringles did some vile Christmas Special flavour last year.
I'll have a look for this year's offering...

..they don't seem to have one!

ETA Looking at yacf from last year, Mint Choc Chip and Sweet Cinnamon were seasonal Pringles flavours  :sick: :sick:

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #822 on: 08 November, 2015, 11:26:08 pm »

What a wasted opportunity for a bad pun. All you had to do was throw in vegetarians and then could have raised the steaks instead.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #823 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:53:00 am »
Grytpype-Thynne: Tie him to a stake!
Seagoon: But I'm a vegetarian!
G-T: Very well, tie him to a stick of celery!

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #824 on: 09 November, 2015, 07:30:34 am »

Crohn's completely unrelated to diet.

Unless, of course you meant old ladies with crooked nose and warty faces, in which case, carry on.
You are right! I knew a woman who had crowns disease in the 80s and she couldn't eat loads of things, so I assumed it was a food related problem. Lazy thinking on my part.