Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229845 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #875 on: 21 November, 2015, 05:13:27 pm »
SWMBO used almost all the extra belegende gouda to make cheese straws, then stuck them in the oven and forgot about them.  :'(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #876 on: 02 December, 2015, 11:48:59 pm »
Now, I can handle a mature cheddar. But I'm making a stand against cheese funk. Those mouldy, pongy, specimens that seem to strive and writhe for sentience. The ones that reach off the plate and grab your nose and squeeze it like Gripper Stebson on a bad day. Now I know there's a bit of eau de testosterone in those adventures among the high peaks of cheese funk and for all I know, brie is – in fact – congealed gallic jizz. That would make perfect sense.

First off, if food is mouldy, don't eat it. You wouldn't send your tongue galloping recklessly through the black forest of aspergillus on a wall with rising damp so don't think eating mouldy cheese is alright. If something smells like old, sweaty socks, chances are that it's to be avoided. You'd not ask for a second helping old tramp sock broth. Even Oliver Twist would have snuck out for Pot Noodle.

Goat cheese is definitely funky. I once ate a goaty babybel (they're green, be warned) in Buttes-Chaumont park in Paris. The shock made me roll down a hill and into a wall whereupon blood (red) fountained out of my head in quantities that threatened to make a me new tourist attraction. My wife 'apparently' didn't know green was cheese code for toxic-death-cheese. She tells the biggest, fattest lies every known. She's the Mistress of Lies.

But that's nothing compared to the Cheese Dalek. It's like if the French invented an evil robot to store the worst cheeses they could fathom, monuments to funk that even full-on-Frenchies realised were a bit too much, and then decided to dispose of it in space using some kind of primitive rocket-powered trebuchet. For several centuries it patiently orbited the Earth until the day it fell and landed in twenty-first century Montreuil-sur-Mer. Not knowing what to do with it and fearing for the world, the owners of a nearby restaurant decided the very best place to hide a cheese-filled robot horror machine from the middle ages was in their cellar dining room. Maybe, they thought, someone would just think it was antique furniture or somesuch, the kind of thing that lies around restaurants pour character.

That just happened to be the restaurant we'd booked. Now there was a bit of a smell, but the building had been around working up a sweat since the thirteenth century, and look at the all that period furniture, how utterly charming. But the smell got worse and worse. First I assumed that maybe they'd embedded plague victims in the wall, or that someone had inadvertently opened a hell portal and then invited all the demons to a all your-can-eat Jerusalem artichoke and asparagus festival.

I soldiered on till the dessert course. The waiter pulls out the cabinet behind me. I realised then that it was no cabinet. It was the Cheese Dalek. Within, o the horror, the horror. Even the waiter made an involuntary 'eugh' noise.

Subsequent research would seem to indicate the beating heart of the beast was Vieux Boulogne.

« Reply #877 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:35:32 am »
Mmmm.

Do you have a link to reservations for the Cheese Dalek?

ian

« Reply #878 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:51:40 am »
I think Les Hauts de Montreuil.

You wonder what happened to the mer in Montreuil-sur-Mer. It ran from the Cheese Robot, that's what. I hate to think how powerful the Cheese Robot grown in the last decade. It's probably too late to stop it, even with some Pacific Rim scale robo-thumping shenanigans.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #879 on: 03 December, 2015, 07:15:35 am »
I have a biohazard cheese container for the fridge, complete with activated charcoal etc. It used to smell like someone had put the dogs poobags in the fridge or the cat had died in there but now all is sweet. Until I break the seal on the containment vessel, and then the rest of the family leave the room.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #880 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:19:13 pm »
I was disappointed to see that it looks nothing like a Dalek.
Guardian smelliest cheese article 

I can't believe that Brebis is not on that list. That's the worst smelling cheese ever. Edit- probably just the stuff we had on Corsica.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #881 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:32:35 pm »
I was disappointed to see that it looks nothing like a Dalek.
Guardian smelliest cheese article 

I can't believe that Brebis is not on that list. That's the worst smelling cheese ever. Edit- probably just the stuff we had on Corsica.

As any student of the Asterix books will know, Corsican cheeses are lethal.  ;D

https://horadecubitus.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/img11.jpg

Quote from: a cheese enthusiast on a Corsican cheese
... it was probably moments past a point and oozing on the plate, a delicious, meaty, pungent, barnyardy, dirty-socky, floral, grassy cheese, and I loved it, but there was no denying that smelling it up close was like napalming your nostrils.

http://cheesenotes.com/post/7928111260/corsican-a-filetta
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #882 on: 04 December, 2015, 09:48:28 am »
Never mind smells, what about maggots...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

Another "delicacy"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #883 on: 04 December, 2015, 10:34:02 am »
I tell you, they all smell like air freshener compared to Icelandic fermented shark. I brought some back and left it in the office for 10 minutes open - and cleared the place. I love foul cheese but the shark was beyond me.
There is apparently a norwegian tinned rotted fish that is illegal to open let alone consume indoors.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #884 on: 04 December, 2015, 11:40:08 am »
There are plenty of jokes about lutefisk being classified as a weapon of mass destruction.  I think it was what killed Stanley Tucci's character utterly to DETH in "Fortitude".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #885 on: 05 December, 2015, 04:48:34 am »
There are plenty of jokes about lutefisk being classified as a weapon of mass destruction.  I think it was what killed Stanley Tucci's character utterly to DETH in "Fortitude".

I remember seeing lutefisk on a Norwegian cruise. I'd heard about it and was curious to taste it, but not curious enough to overcome the smell of it.

From what I gather it's basically fish that has been left to rot, then washed with caustic soda, then washed in water to get the caustic soda out again. I think some purists wash with caustic soda and water a second time, although whether that's to make it burn or in a desperate attempt to stop the stuff reeking so badly is another matter.

So short version, I declined the one chance I had to eat lutefisk.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #886 on: 05 December, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »
I tell you, they all smell like air freshener compared to Icelandic fermented shark. I brought some back and left it in the office for 10 minutes open - and cleared the place. I love foul cheese but the shark was beyond me.
There is apparently a norwegian tinned rotted fish that is illegal to open let alone consume indoors.

A food microbiology textbook at work says something like 'most fermented foods are acidic and alkaline fermented foods are decidedly unpalatable, as anyone who has tried to eat Icelandic fermented shark would undoubtably agree.'

A microbiologists' meeting at a Nordic sugar factory ended in a ceremonial opening and eating of a can of 'surstromming' - outside. I am not convinced...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #887 on: 06 December, 2015, 12:45:17 am »
IIRC Dr Larrington has tried that fermented shark, and also some equally hideous-sounding sheep-related culinary atrocity.  OTOH I saw TV's Jeremy Wade try the shark and he didn't boak rich brown vomit long into the night, or at least not on camera.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #888 on: 06 December, 2015, 11:10:01 am »
...and also some equally hideous-sounding sheep-related culinary atrocity...

Reestit mutton?

fuzzy

« Reply #889 on: 07 December, 2015, 01:39:30 pm »
That's nothing. I watched my bike shop boss start to cry and break into a proper sweat last night after accepting the challenge to down a teaspoon of Shito. he regularly accepts food challenges and Shito is apparently the worst thing he has ever done ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #890 on: 21 December, 2015, 06:40:18 pm »
Yeah, whatever happened to round white plates?
Why do I keep getting food on a chopping board, in a mini metal bucket, on a fecking slate....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #891 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:06:40 pm »
I was reading that in Mr Painsbusy's Toothed Emporium of Consumer Consumables the other day. Despite the pleas to "Stop laughing, Dad!" I did not.

Oddly, there did seem to be glasses in aitcH200Eau (and what a glorious name that is!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #892 on: 21 December, 2015, 11:20:50 pm »
World. I bore you all with my tales of gin acquisition and beardy craft beer consumption. You don't see me meandering on about wine or scoffing chocolates.

So stop fucking buying me chocolate and wine. It's the other stuff.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #893 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:13:24 pm »
Cadbury's Creme Eggs.  On sale.  Yesterday.  Effing  ridiculous. That is all.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #894 on: 23 December, 2015, 09:51:03 pm »
I thought they sold Creme Eggs all year round these days?  Nasty things though they be.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #895 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:06:08 pm »
They were nasty enough before Mondelez remolished the chocolate. I have not sampled one since.
If they are as narsty as Milk tray, I shall continue to get my chocolate fix from Mr Sainsbury's Milk Chocolate chips (which are cheap, VAT-free and contain 29% cocoa solids).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #896 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:30:52 am »

The icelandic stuff needs to be drunk with the some funny alcohol.  Its a bit meh, ate it and didn't enjoy it.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #897 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:33:34 am »

Opening a tin under water....have tried it, won't  go out of my way to try it again...

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #898 on: 24 December, 2015, 01:59:25 am »
Cadbury's Creme Eggs.  On sale.  Yesterday.  Effing  ridiculous. That is all.

Meh, it's a bit late to be stocking the shelves for Easter.

I used to think the best thing about Thanksgiving (well, aside from the chance to eat my own body weight in turkey) was the fact it delayed the onslaught onset of Christmas until at least the end of November. But no, it seems multiple festivals can be catered for very well by retailers this side of the water. Piles of jumbo bags of candy ready for Halloween sit side by side with Thanksgiving stuff and the early preparations for Christmas. At least Valentine's Day isn't overrunning the shops just yet.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

ian

« Reply #899 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:17:49 am »
Stuck waiting in Waitrose (the clue is the name, but hey, free coffee) I was perusing the in-house magazine for recipe ideas (it's also handy to beat a path through the Mail readers, a Waitrose in Surrey is where Daily Mail readers go to avoid muslim asylum seekers, giving them a perfect opportunity to slip under their beds and start filling in those benefit claims). Anyway, it was a long wait, so in between amusing myself by watching people trying to park their main urban battle tanks as close to the entrance as possible (I've moved from anecdata, it's true that car size correlates with the need to park as close to the doors as possible), I read it from cover-to-cover (I also illicitly refilled my coffee, you can take the boy out of the council estate, but not the council estate out of the boy1).

So, what did I learn.

1. Gluten is the new Hitler.
2. Nigella Lawson keeps a ready stock of roasted sweet potatoes about her house. Explains the lumps in her sofa.
3. Gluten! Argh!
4. A letters page that doesn't mention muslim asylum seekers outside the context of freekeh recipes.
5. I have no idea how to pronounce 'freekeh' so I'm doing it in a funk-style freak-EH! YEAH!
6. It's the new quinoa. Shit. I just learned how to pronounce quinoa. You have no idea how long that took.
7. There's more drizzling going on than Hebden Bridge on a January Wednesday. They drizzle like an incontinent man in a Hozelock factory.
8. Gluten! Argh!
9. Peas on toast is the new avocado on toast. They mess this up big time by not using proper mushy marrowfat peas. Garden peas. FFS.
10. The travel section at the back is upside down.

ObRant: I'm getting more intolerant of gluten intolerance. Soon entire supermarkets will be split down the middle, on one side, the gluten, on the other, the gluten-free. They'll stare and snort, eyeing each other like wary boxers. If I were lactose intolerant I'd be royally pissed off. The antiglutenistas bumped you.

1. Larrer's style footnote (licence fee payable)2
2. Lie. Our neighbours were settled travellers, my dad probably did buy your TV from the neighbour. My grandparents lived on a council estate which was officially posh. Because indoor plumbing.