Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 230365 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #900 on: 05 January, 2016, 07:25:55 pm »
in between amusing myself by watching people trying to park their main urban battle tanks as close to the entrance as possible (I've moved from anecdata, it's true that car size correlates with the need to park as close to the doors as possible)

I'm sure you have fond memories of people in the US moving monstrous SUVs barely 100 yards from the parking area outside one shop to the parking area outside the adjacent shop. Honestly, it would have been a shorter walk to just go from Shop A to Shop B and then to the car, but they insist on walking from Shop A to the car, then driving to Shop B parking, then walking from car to Shop B, rinse and repeat for shops C through whatever. Here the norm is to take the car when you're going to a place the other side of the road. It's truly staggering. And then people wonder why Americans get to weigh more than their SUVs. And that's a challenge, given the size of some of the pickups SUVs over here.

I also illicitly refilled my coffee

Of course around here there's no such thing as an illicit refill. Sometimes it almost seems as if Not Having Refills is the suspicious behaviour. You don't want a refill? What's wrong with you? How are you supposed to weigh more than your SUV without a huge influx of sugar? Look at you, you can't even weigh 400 pounds yet. Get some more lard down you. And of course when you order an unsweetened ice tea it comes with about six little bags of sugar just in case you change your mind and decide you want it sickly sweet. And then on the table there are more little bags of sugar, and Splenda, and Sweet-N-Low, and whatever other sweetener is out there that's only suitable for people who can have lactose but not glucose, or can have gluten but only if it's kosher, and somewhere among them is the bag of good old fashioned table sugar. Sucrose at its finest. I'm surprised nobody offered pumpkin flavoured sugar in the several weeks either side of Halloween.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

ian

« Reply #901 on: 05 January, 2016, 08:07:25 pm »
I remember once, in suburban Virginia, being offered a lift from Chilis to my hotel. On the other side of the modest restaurant parking lot. I was only in Chilis because it was the nearest source of beer-related beverages. I'm like seriously, I can see my room. And yes, I said it like a teenage girl. Wither under my contempt. And she's like You sure? Yes, I am sure I can walk 50 yards. Even American ones. I could do it in high heels and I'm 100% USDA approved boy counterbalanced with three pints of non-domestic draft. She wouldn't, alas, loan me her shoes. They won't fit, she declared. Like whatever, Cinderella. Actually, martinis might have been involved. I think I had to eat her car keys. Probably one of the better desserts I've had at Chilis.

But this is Surrey, and it's quite a spectacle. There's two strategies. One, favoured by Audi drivers, is simply to stop by the doors and wait for a space to become free. The other (BMWs, Mercedes, the godforsaken) is to orbit the car park like they're looking for a spot anywhere but they're not. They want that spot, right by the doors, and they'll orbit this car park until the sun sparks out if that is what it takes. Then they find a spot. The fun is only just starting. Because British car parks weren't built with cars the size of well-fed brontosaurus dumps in mind. Watching these idiots try to park in such spaces is the seventh funniest thing in the known universe. In. Out. In. A little to the left. No, no, to the left. It's like a Martin Amis description of sex.

There's thread somewhere herein called 'urethral milking' which I was horribly, horribly disappointed to learn wasn't a sex thing I could silkily insert into casual conversation. Instead it's a practical technique for men to empty the more obscure avenues and cul-de-sacs of their willy wonkerish indoor plumping into a toilet bowl rather than their underpants. Anyway, any number of prostate problems can be cured by a hour or two in a NYC diner. There's enough weak coffee refills to ensure any man can probably piss hard enough to hit Pennsylvania. I hit the Liberty Bell from 24th and 3rd the other year.

Kosher. Gluten Free. Paleo. I see it now. I have a pitch for Fox. When Diets Collide.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #902 on: 05 January, 2016, 10:25:24 pm »
For some reason most of the cheap-ass motels I stay in while in Leftpondia have about twelve sachets of artificial sweetener to one of proper sugar to accompany the "in-room coffee-making facilities".  And artificial sweetener makes tea taste funny.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

contango

« Reply #903 on: 06 January, 2016, 04:40:26 am »
I remember once, in suburban Virginia, being offered a lift from Chilis to my hotel. On the other side of the modest restaurant parking lot. I was only in Chilis because it was the nearest source of beer-related beverages. I'm like seriously, I can see my room. And yes, I said it like a teenage girl. Wither under my contempt. And she's like You sure? Yes, I am sure I can walk 50 yards. Even American ones. I could do it in high heels and I'm 100% USDA approved boy counterbalanced with three pints of non-domestic draft. She wouldn't, alas, loan me her shoes. They won't fit, she declared. Like whatever, Cinderella. Actually, martinis might have been involved. I think I had to eat her car keys. Probably one of the better desserts I've had at Chilis.

It's amazing how easily the "drive everywhere" mindset can set in. When I lived in London I wouldn't drive anything less than about 5 miles because of the hassles of traffic, parking, traffic getting back home, hassles parking back at home, and the minor detail that having to drive imposed a tighter restriction on the amount of beer I could drink than I was entirely happy with. Yes, I'd drive the one mile to Homebase if I planned to buy something sufficiently big and heavy that I really couldn't get it home without the aid of an engine, although I did once borrow a flatbed trolley to haul a garden table and six chairs home, and duly returned it once I'd unloaded it (which seemed more responsible, even if more effort, than parking it with its brethren in the nearest river)

And then over here the infrastructure is so geared to the assumption that everybody drives everywhere that sometimes it can be difficult to actually walk somewhere. In the nearest small town trying to figure the best place to cross the road isn't a trivial exercise, but of course in the car you can just move from one car park the size of Bolivia to another at least a few seconds faster than you could walk the distance. Or at least that would be so if you could figure out where to cross the road.

But this is Surrey, and it's quite a spectacle. There's two strategies. One, favoured by Audi drivers, is simply to stop by the doors and wait for a space to become free. The other (BMWs, Mercedes, the godforsaken) is to orbit the car park like they're looking for a spot anywhere but they're not. They want that spot, right by the doors, and they'll orbit this car park until the sun sparks out if that is what it takes. Then they find a spot. The fun is only just starting. Because British car parks weren't built with cars the size of well-fed brontosaurus dumps in mind. Watching these idiots try to park in such spaces is the seventh funniest thing in the known universe. In. Out. In. A little to the left. No, no, to the left. It's like a Martin Amis description of sex.

My experience of Surrey was that unless you were spectacularly adept at climbing out of the sunroof most car parks were woefully undersized. It only took one car to be anything other than perfectly central within its allocated space before either the driver or the passenger was going to have to perform some gymnastics worthy of the Kama Sutra just to get out of the car. That's something I don't miss here, where parking spaces are about the size of Derbyshire and even if you're driving a super-sized SUV you can pretty much just swerve in the general direction of the space and throw the doors open before leaping out with the same joie de vivre that actually finding a space in London generates but without the near certainty of dinging the sides of the car parked so close you can barely get a cigarette paper between them both. And instead of paying through the nose to park, round here the machines still take nickels. You don't get long for a nickel but when you can park for 15 minutes for the equivalent of 3p you really don't miss London parking arrangements. It's just as well the $1 coin isn't accepted because if it were your parking ticket would expire "sometime next week, maybe Thursday"

There's thread somewhere herein called 'urethral milking' which I was horribly, horribly disappointed to learn wasn't a sex thing I could silkily insert into casual conversation. Instead it's a practical technique for men to empty the more obscure avenues and cul-de-sacs of their willy wonkerish indoor plumping into a toilet bowl rather than their underpants. Anyway, any number of prostate problems can be cured by a hour or two in a NYC diner. There's enough weak coffee refills to ensure any man can probably piss hard enough to hit Pennsylvania. I hit the Liberty Bell from 24th and 3rd the other year.

Round here the problem isn't weak coffee, it's truly dismal coffee. Coffee so bad you wish it was weak on the basis that way you wouldn't be able to taste it. It's much like the way traditional American lagers are served ice cold because it's the only way you can tell them from urine. If the urinals are plumbed straight back into the keg they at least need to wait a while to chill it and carbonate it before serving it again. I'm convinced nobody would notice, as long as it was ice cold. But the coffee, coffee so bad you'd think it was a drain cleaner or something. Maybe it was in a previous life. It seems the dreaded filter machines are to blame. At least in a place that serves espresso you can blame the numbskull who makes it for not knowing their basket from their elbow, but when it's filter coffee once it's been brewed it sits there on the hotplate, unloved and unwanted, until someone takes pity on it and takes it home. It really is like the 15-year-old St Bernard with bladder control issues in the rescue home, except it doesn't taste as good. And then among the quagmire of truly awful coffee comes the odd gem - a place that serves coffee that goes beyond barely tolerable and is actually pleasant to drink. Remarkably, coffee from Sheetz (the gas station chain) is pleasant to drink. Admittedly with 463 different varieties of creamer, sweetener, milk and coffee there's bound to be a combination in there to suit anybody however finicky they might be, but there you go. Aside from that it seems to be the occasional diner that does good coffee at least some of the time. I wonder if there's a single barista who knows what they are doing in this area, and they work one day at a time. You have a nice coffee and, lulled into a false sense of security, go back for coffee. That's when you get the burnt abomination that tastes like a camel rider's jockstrap on a hot Friday afternoon.

Kosher. Gluten Free. Paleo. I see it now. I have a pitch for Fox. When Diets Collide.

That would be quite a show. You could air the same show on Fox and MSNBC so the two sides could argue over whether Bush or Obama was to blame for it.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #904 on: 06 January, 2016, 09:38:40 am »
Considering the USAnians pride themselves on their coffee, most of what is available for public consumption is rank enow that cheapskate BRITISH horriblemarket own-brand is veritable nectar by comparison.  You know that coffee made from beans that have passed through the digestive tracts of weasels?  The boak advertised as "coffee" in for e.g. USAnian diners, motels, prisons etc. is made from the part of the weasel poo that isn't undigested coffee bean.

I stand by this observation.

ian

« Reply #905 on: 06 January, 2016, 10:21:56 am »
Yes, US coffee. It's an abomination. When I took my first steamboat to the Americas I was excited to find a world where coffee didn't appear to come in jars that could readily substitute for Bisto gravy granules (or vice versa). In the US, coffee came in tins and you know you my thoughts on things in tins. Tomorrow's World promised me a future in a can.

I don't know what they do with it. You can empty an entire industrial sized tin of Folgers into your coffeemaker and get out something that looks like it was passed by someone in the late stages of dysentery. They made the water brown. Like bacon, the coffee seems to have gone somewhere. Guantanamo? They've renditioned the flavour. Extraordinary. And then, yes, it sits on the filter machine slowing stewing until there is an actual flavour, just one you'd never want to meet.

Not content with stripping out the low, middle, and high notes – the entire fucking symphony – of flavour they then insist on serving it in buckets big enough to drown the entire bloody orchestra in. A 32 oz coffee? That's like an elephant's bladderful. And probably tastes worse. It ought to be obvious sign of the problem that you need to add artificial flavours. I remember when I first saw that – hazelnut-flavoured creamer – it's a mistake you make once. You may as well get a squirrel to jerk off into your coffee. At least that might taste of hazelnuts.

It has got a bit better in recent years, but there's still the dreaded conference and hotel coffee. Proudly Served by Starbucks. That's my heart taking the express elevator down. I need caffeine. It's important for my mental buoyancy. All I'm doing by drinking that stuff is making my kidneys cry as they desperately try to sieve out a few grains of caffeine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #906 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:05:16 am »
(I've moved from anecdata, it's true that car size correlates with the need to park as close to the doors as possible)

Unless it's a handy wee Porsche.  Some years ago I was standing inside the doors of Darty watching the downpour and waiting to belt to our modest jalopy when a Porsche pulled into the "Handicapped" space just outside and the driver hopped out and bounded in like a dancer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #907 on: 06 January, 2016, 05:35:51 pm »
Peas on toast?

contango

« Reply #908 on: 06 January, 2016, 06:19:37 pm »
Yes, US coffee. It's an abomination. When I took my first steamboat to the Americas I was excited to find a world where coffee didn't appear to come in jars that could readily substitute for Bisto gravy granules (or vice versa). In the US, coffee came in tins and you know you my thoughts on things in tins. Tomorrow's World promised me a future in a can.

US coffee is very much like US beer. There seems to be no middle ground, just some truly awesomeness at one end and the abomination from the pits of hell at the other. The abomination came from the pits of hell because even the devil had a little mercy on his subjects and rejected it for being just too vile.

So just like American beer means Coors Lite on one end (is that stuff really considered to be beer? It's more like fizzy urine, and a drink that doesn't have a taste anyone could find palatable and doesn't have enough alcohol in it to even get a slight buzz loses and claim to be called beer) and the proliferation of truly awesome microbreweries at the other end, so the low end of American coffee could be described as tragic, were it not an affront to the term.

I don't know what they do with it. You can empty an entire industrial sized tin of Folgers into your coffeemaker and get out something that looks like it was passed by someone in the late stages of dysentery. They made the water brown. Like bacon, the coffee seems to have gone somewhere. Guantanamo? They've renditioned the flavour. Extraordinary. And then, yes, it sits on the filter machine slowing stewing until there is an actual flavour, just one you'd never want to meet.

That reminded me of one of the whiskey bottles I saw on a recent visit to the liquor store over here. I was on the prowl for something good, and in the end selected a 10 year old bottle of Laphroaig (which, with a combination of the sale they had on and a voucher given out for no readily apparent reason cost me the eminently reasonable sum of $40). Along the way I found a bottle with an encouraging name, which was something like Old Crow. From the colour of it I had to wonder whether it was distilled crow urine or maybe just distilled aged crow. When a 1.5 litre bottle still costs under $10 it's hard to imagine it being anything other than an alcohol-fuelled abomination that makes even blue-label Thunderbird look positively delectable.

Not content with stripping out the low, middle, and high notes – the entire fucking symphony – of flavour they then insist on serving it in buckets big enough to drown the entire bloody orchestra in. A 32 oz coffee? That's like an elephant's bladderful. And probably tastes worse. It ought to be obvious sign of the problem that you need to add artificial flavours. I remember when I first saw that – hazelnut-flavoured creamer – it's a mistake you make once. You may as well get a squirrel to jerk off into your coffee. At least that might taste of hazelnuts.

Ah yes, creamers. The abominations added to abominations in the vain hope that the result will taste less awful than either of the two individual abominations. It's like the idea that something really really dismal mixed with something else really really dismal might result in something only marginally dismal. I wonder why people bother but then see the line snaking out of the door at McDonalds and figure people would rather know they'll get something disappointing than take the chance they'll get something disappointing. I say "disappointing" using typical British reserve, the last time I ate anything from Burger King in this country (September 2013) it took all my resolve not to open the door of the car and throw the whole lot out onto the interstate, it was that bad. Needless to say I haven't darkened their door since. I can just about believe there was something that may once have been part of a cow buried under the endless layers of white goo, red goo, yellow goo and whatever else they put in it.

The creamers really are like spraying Lynx deodorants over a tramp who hasn't washed in a week. Neither smells great but maybe the smell of one will mask the smell of the other, at least a little. It starts to smell like a blend of two unpleasant aromas rather than one individual stench that strips the last shreds of hope from the sinuses.

It has got a bit better in recent years, but there's still the dreaded conference and hotel coffee. Proudly Served by Starbucks. That's my heart taking the express elevator down. I need caffeine. It's important for my mental buoyancy. All I'm doing by drinking that stuff is making my kidneys cry as they desperately try to sieve out a few grains of caffeine.

It's easy to see why Starbucks are proud to serve what they do. I'm currently paying a little under $4 for a gallon of milk, which means about 50c/pint. Wouldn't you be proud to report to your financial overlords that you'd found yet another bunch of suckers willing to pay $5 for 50c worth of milk and a splash of cheap and nasty coffee? And not only do people pay through the nose for their cup of warm brown disappointment but they come back for more. It's back to the McDonalds phenomenon, even when people know it's overpriced crap they still stand in line to buy it.

Back in England when I worked someone else's clock I used to take my own coffee to the office. Now if I'm visiting a site and know I'll want caffeine (which is highly likely) I stop at the Sheetz on the way and get some. I know their stuff is pleasant to drink even if many people do desecrate their coffee with a range of improbably flavoured creamers. It's entirely self-serve which means I can go straight to the Sumatran dispenser, add some milk and be done with it. Our local Sheetz opened back in about September and were giving coffee for free for the first three months they were open. I honestly have no idea how many free coffees I drank from that place, other than to note that some days I got one on the way out and another on the way back. The funny thing was that when they started charging they beeped my MySheetz loyalty card and I found that the free coffees they had registered to my card qualified me for a free coffee. Which was a good result. Taking free stuff qualifies me to get some more free stuff. Only in America.

« Reply #909 on: 06 January, 2016, 07:19:09 pm »
When I visited Manhattan around 30 years ago, my first visit to the US, I was appalled to discover the coffee was crap. My host explained "we won't pay more than 5c a cup and expect free refills. You get what you (don't) pay for"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #910 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:03:12 pm »
I was listening to a discussion between Spanish,  Italian,  and  Ozzies recently on this topic.

The consensus was that it relates to the generation of Italian immigrants.

In the US, the coffee culture came from early Italian immigrants who were pre-espresso, and so non pressurised filter cofee became the norm.
Pressurised brewing  came later, and places with newer immigrant populations got the newer superior tech.

Pressurised brewing can extract more of the flavour components than dribbling filter methods, it seems.

contango

« Reply #911 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:17:48 pm »
When I visited Manhattan around 30 years ago, my first visit to the US, I was appalled to discover the coffee was crap. My host explained "we won't pay more than 5c a cup and expect free refills. You get what you (don't) pay for"

... and now Starbucks charge anything up to $5 for a cup with no free refills and it's still crap.

contango

« Reply #912 on: 06 January, 2016, 11:21:28 pm »
I was listening to a discussion between Spanish,  Italian,  and  Ozzies recently on this topic.

The consensus was that it relates to the generation of Italian immigrants.

In the US, the coffee culture came from early Italian immigrants who were pre-espresso, and so non pressurised filter cofee became the norm.
Pressurised brewing  came later, and places with newer immigrant populations got the newer superior tech.

Pressurised brewing can extract more of the flavour components than dribbling filter methods, it seems.

I think it's more a case of "pay peanuts, get monkeys".

I've been to a few places in the UK that had a nice SHINY espresso machine but still managed to produce a coffee so bad it spoiled the entire evening. It's a shame when you've had a really nice meal and the taste left in your mouth as you leave is from a coffee so bad you wonder if they really did just scrape up some dog shit off the street outside and add lots of hot water. As a rule unless I know somewhere serves good coffee I won't have a coffee after a meal simply because I don't want any more nice meals ruined with crappy coffee.

Sheetz coffee is drip filter and tastes pretty good. A barista who knows what they are doing can make a really good coffee with an espresso machine. Someone who thinks the purpose of the tamper is just to make the coffee grounds nice and level in the basket is unlikely to produce a coffee worth drinking. Sadly they all charge the same price, which is pretty lame when you pay full whack for a coffee and get what tastes like slurry.

ian

« Reply #913 on: 07 January, 2016, 09:58:01 am »
Well, I don't like espresso, so filter ought to be fine. It's what I live off, and my CoffeeBot is American. For some reason, from many US coffees the flavour has either fled or been stolen. I initially thought it was just the amount of ground coffee, but no, I established than you could use an entire tin and it would still taste of nothing. That and the trend to leave it stewing in the pot for an aeon despite the fact that filter coffee can be safely consumed fresh. The result genuinely tastes like they've burned water. Give it another hour and it tastes like they've strained that water through a tramp's underpants. CoffeeBot has a thermos (which the hot plate warms up and then turns off).

« Reply #914 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:25:18 am »
America is taken by the Keurig K Cup system, basically one cup disposable filters, to prevent stewed pot coffee. So they are getting more fussy.

I find it hard to discuss coffee with people unless they rank what sort of coffee they like rankings in order of preference when well made:

Turkish coffee (am lazy and will only get in restaurants, basically I like cardamom and sugar)
Filter coffee black (including pour over)
Espresso in milk based drink
Instant
Espresso black

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #915 on: 07 January, 2016, 11:53:40 am »
America is taken by the Keurig K Cup system, basically one cup disposable filters, to prevent stewed pot coffee. So they are getting more fussy.

Those are even showing up in some of the pikey lodging houses I tend to use Over There.  And how do you use one to get hot water for Proper Tea because your kettle died on its arse, eh?  EH?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #916 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:40:17 pm »

I find it hard to discuss coffee with people unless they rank what sort of coffee they like rankings in order of preference when well made:

Turkish coffee (am lazy and will only get in restaurants, basically I like cardamom and sugar)
Filter coffee black (including pour over)
Espresso in milk based drink
Instant
Espresso black

1) coffee cake
2) coffee walnut whip
3) coffee creams
4) that's all.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #917 on: 07 January, 2016, 12:57:38 pm »
I've never suffered the delights of American cwaffee, but

0) coffee-based cakes and confectionery
1) flat white/latte (one a day, tops, usually one a week)
2) espresso (only after a restaurant dinner)
3) filter/pourover/aeropress (black, no sugar, if the coffee's good)
4) tea (milk and one, free at work)
5) instant (if I just need an early morning cup of hot brown caffeine)

ian

« Reply #918 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:02:21 pm »
I drink filter coffee (in oceanic quantities). I wish all espresso machines would spring a leak and slowly expire. It's only tolerable in a latte. And yes, because I'm not bloody Italian, I pronounce it lar-tay.

I was happy when Starbucks started doing filter coffee, until I discovered they'd replicated the piss weak US coffee experience perfectly.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #919 on: 07 January, 2016, 01:21:02 pm »
I don't think I've used my (cheap'n'cheerful) espresso machine since I got my Aeropress. It's just so much nicer IMO.

« Reply #920 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:06:16 pm »
I don't think I've used my (cheap'n'cheerful) espresso machine since I got my Aeropress. It's just so much nicer IMO.

Same.... It's really difficult being enthusiastic when someone offers to treat you with something from their ne*presso machine. 

"we've got some lovely vanilla flavoured pods, would you like one?"  No.  No I wouldn't.

« Reply #921 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:25:23 pm »
I drink this Vietnamese coffee called Trung Nguyen S (a habit picked up after a holiday there, I'm soooo middle class), they claim it's not flavoured, but it's remarkably chocolately, so much so that I've dropped my objection to flavoured coffees.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #922 on: 07 January, 2016, 02:49:59 pm »

Same.... It's really difficult being enthusiastic when someone offers to treat you with something from their ne*presso machine. 

"we've got some lovely vanilla flavoured pods, would you like one?"  No.  No I wouldn't.

We dumped out notspresso machine for a proper pricey bean to cup (Jura) and we are all very happy. With decent coffee it is just perfect and does the whole milky drink range too. I prefer a double ristretto with 2 seconds of foam on top. Kind of a modified macciato. Mmm.

At work its aeropress or tea.

I now hate nespresso, the coffee is just dire.

ian

« Reply #923 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:01:59 pm »
My coffeebot grinds the beans fresh and makes a perfect pot of strong filter coffee (that's happily waiting for me each morning). I dunno why the outside world can't replicate this and filter coffee has to taste likes it's been through a dozen Fosters drinkers or like it's been sitting there on the hob for six weeks as a prop in some television police procedural.

I hate americanos with a passion. Nasty, nasty stuff. When I ask for coffee, I want coffee, not a diluted espresso shot.

One of the few benefits of posh restaurants is that if you insist on a strong filter coffee, they can't flog you off with we only have an espresso machine. I'll accept a cafetiere coffee as a substitute, or any kind of posh pour-over. No more americanos.

« Reply #924 on: 07 January, 2016, 03:24:59 pm »
I'm still governed by economics, I will rinse and dry and my pour over paper filters and use them at least twice.

Nespresso lost its appeal when Nestle brought out commercial Nespresso that were a different shape that meant people couldn't half inch capsules from their place of work.