Author Topic: A random thread for small computing things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 296499 times)

Chris S

I present this absolutely splendid bug: "Open Office won't print on Tuesdays"

Reminds me of the classic: Can't send email more than 500 miles

That's brilliant !

Ooh - are we doing "My favourite defect report"?

Mine was always "I don't receive any emails unless I bang on the desk"

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Spent the day getting Oracle to add up the number of rows selected in a particularly long series of SQL statements and occasional PL/SQL blocks for running in SQL Plus/SQLCL so it can tell Jenkins if it's failed.
Only solution I found that didn't have the various respondents on various fora slagging each other off because it didn't work was to wrap every select with another select that decodes a NEXVAL on a sequence in a manner that means it always kicks out the primary key in the result set.

I also spent the day telling myself that surely there must be a much more sensible way of doing it while cursing the fact that I know all I'd need in T-SQL is a variable and repeated addition of @@ROWCOUNT to it.

ian

Is it wrong to say SQL as Ess-Queue-Ell and then when corrected to 'sequel' say 'yes, that's what I said' in an exasperated tone? Of course, flip this if they start with Ess-Queue-Ell. Yes, that's what I said.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Is it wrong to say SQL as Ess-Queue-Ell and then when corrected to 'sequel' say 'yes, that's what I said' in an exasperated tone? Of course, flip this if they start with Ess-Queue-Ell. Yes, that's what I said.

Squirrel.

ian

These days when anyone corrects my pronunciation of any word, I simply say that's what I said. It's brilliant. Sometimes they'll double down and repeat what they think is the correct pronunciation for me and I'll just repeat it my way and say see, that's exactly what I said. They're idiots and I've just weaponized their frustration.

ian

You know it's a good day when Microsoft Error Reporting tries to report an error with itself.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
You know it's a good day when Microsoft Error Reporting tries to report an error with itself.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R49IKBWznOM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/R49IKBWznOM&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/R49IKBWznOM

Davef

I present this absolutely splendid bug: "Open Office won't print on Tuesdays"

Reminds me of the classic: Can't send email more than 500 miles

That's brilliant !

Ooh - are we doing "My favourite defect report"?

Mine was always "I don't receive any emails unless I bang on the desk"
“The print on the .pcl file attached to your electronic submission is smudged”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've sold or recycled (most) of my old text books today. £60 better off feels pretty good for 90s tech books, though I was amused that my K&R C book got about £6 while they didn't want Stroustrup.

simonp

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/02/serious-flaw-that-lurked-in-sudo-for-9-years-finally-gets-a-patch/

That's some security hole, with such an easy exploit (but default config should be ok I think - since it only works if the option to print out *s as you type is enabled).

Worth checking (and patching), mind.

Just been grappling with mobile billings, Mrs Ham's and my bills are now £16/month total (4Gb since you ask), as part of my overall strategy I needed to sort out the dual sim aspect of my Pixel 4, so I can take advantage of PAYG when travelling to strange countries.

The Pixel 4 has eSim and physical sim capability, and EE supports eSIM, so far so good. Easy ordering, again, good. eSim is great, all you need to do is scan in a bar code, so how do you think I'm going to get this new fangled system? Yes, you've got it, in the post.

rr

Just been grappling with mobile billings, Mrs Ham's and my bills are now £16/month total (4Gb since you ask), as part of my overall strategy I needed to sort out the dual sim aspect of my Pixel 4, so I can take advantage of PAYG when travelling to strange countries.

The Pixel 4 has eSim and physical sim capability, and EE supports eSIM, so far so good. Easy ordering, again, good. eSim is great, all you need to do is scan in a bar code, so how do you think I'm going to get this new fangled system? Yes, you've got it, in the post.
If you go via topcashback 3 do unlimited calls and texts and 8Gb of data for £8/month, plus £42 cashback. Roaming to many places included.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3 (and their resellers) are definitely cheapest but the network performance around here (in London) and in many areas is patchy at best.  They also haven't yet (?) rolled out eSim support.

My son wanted to upgrade his EE SIM to an eSIM as he is currently in Japan. EE would only post it to a UK address, so it came to me, then I had to email a photo of the QR code on to him.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
I've pre-ordered a Galaxy S20.  Phones don't excite me very much but I get the latest Galaxy every 3 years, and it seems to keep up with Android releases without costing as much as some people spend (I do SIM only for the third year).  Anyway, the camera is quite an improvement on my current S8.

I wish they'd revert to the rubberised back of the S5.  Glass backs and pointless curved screens are slippery and buying a case is just an admission that the design is crap.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

I've pre-ordered a Galaxy S20.  Phones don't excite me very much but I get the latest Galaxy every 3 years, and it seems to keep up with Android releases without costing as much as some people spend (I do SIM only for the third year).  Anyway, the camera is quite an improvement on my current S8.

I wish they'd revert to the rubberised back of the S5.  Glass backs and pointless curved screens are slippery and buying a case is just an admission that the design is crap.

I'm wondering what was wrong with the Galaxy 11-19.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

What is it with some website password reset systems that never seem to send you an email, even when it says 'look out for email' / 'contact us if not in 30mins'.  No not in spam either...   :-\
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Davef

What is it with some website password reset systems that never seem to send you an email, even when it says 'look out for email' / 'contact us if not in 30mins'.  No not in spam either...   :-\
Is it bt email ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year I had to change all my email address sign-ins after Virgin Media lost my email service for best part of four weeks. Amazing how many websites make this a real PIA, took hours of my time. Thankfully I'm retired, and I'll never use an ISP's email system again - or Virgin effing Media. At least I was then free to change ISP with no problem.

Had this last week, an outsourced work system for employee benefits. Put in my work email, get a response screen: your account is <***@work email> we have sent you a password reset email. Nothing. Try again. Nothing. Contact support, get the password reset a few hours later. That evening find a bunch of password reset emails sent to my personal email  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
I got the remote raspberry (for backup) to restart everyday, because the ISP at MiL changes the IP at random times and for some random reason that causes the raspberry to drop it's connection, so I can't ssh to it. I have done some poking around and updating etc but couldn't not figure out why the remote access dropped, as it was just port forwarded to the Pi on the router. Every time I couldn't connect to it the IP had changed. So an easy fix was to just do a cronjob restart.

This reboot thing has been going for at least three weeks, have the IP change at all doing that time, have it heck !
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

T42

• Apprentice geezer
MrsT's laser printer (HP Laserjet <string'o'numbers'n'letters>) printed merrily in letters black as your hat until two days ago.  Yesterday it fed the paper and said not a word about toner but the page came out as white as it went in.

Anyone know if toner cartridges these days got copy-limiter chips in them?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Give the cartridge the Etch-a-Sketch treatment[1], and if that doesn't make a difference, I'd start suspecting the high-voltage or laser gubbins.  Seems unlikely that the toner would run out so suddenly, and if it were some artificial limitation, you'd expect it to be moaning about it...

[1] Pick it up and shake it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Want to see if a route that you have ridden before will be a headwind nightmare?

Go to headwindapp.com, allow access to your Strava and away you go. Also does historical analysis and pretty accurate. I likes it!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State