Linked Events

• Long Itch on Tour - Silverdale: 22 September, 2017 - 24 September, 2017

Author Topic: WING camping weekend - Apollo's new bike.  (Read 23737 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: WING camping weekend - Apollo's new bike.
« Reply #150 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:12:15 pm »
As many will now know the venue change was so that we could supply a replacement bike for the stolen replacement bike for the stolen bike that Apollo owned and loved.   Yes, that's three different bikes!   I have privately PM's many of you to ask for help in fundraising and soon I will be asking for payment of your generous pledges (or part thereof) as a certain Velomancer of this parish is currently well out of pocket!   If anybody else wishes to contribute to this worthy cause please PM me and I'll add you to my list of donors and subsequently collect from you.

There was a surplus from this exercise and these funds were used to repair Cycleman's trike after this weekend's incident.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #151 on: 16 May, 2018, 06:55:10 pm »
Yet again my heart felt thanks to everyone who contributed to apollos bike and my wheel and axle replacement . You have given Apollo much enjoyment and freedom  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #152 on: 16 May, 2018, 06:57:07 pm »
As many will now know the venue change was so that we could supply a replacement bike for the stolen replacement bike for the stolen bike that Apollo owned and loved.   Yes, that's three different bikes!   I have privately PM's many of you to ask for help in fundraising and soon I will be asking for payment of your generous pledges (or part thereof) as a certain Velomancer of this parish is currently well out of pocket!   If anybody else wishes to contribute to this worthy cause please PM me and I'll add you to my list of donors and subsequently collect from you.

There was a surplus from this exercise and these funds were used to repair Cycleman's trike after this weekend's incident.

Good stuff
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #153 on: 17 May, 2018, 06:46:38 pm »

:thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #154 on: 19 May, 2018, 09:58:11 am »
 :D

« Reply #155 on: 04 September, 2021, 01:26:16 am »
I am thinking about camping at Gibraltar Farm in Silverdale and some of those on this thread seem to know it.

On the camp website it says no washing lines - I know there are a lot of stone walls maybe they don't want people pulling walls apart with washing lines.... I could easily run them from tent to ground.  anybody have any feedback on using washing lines at this site?

« Reply #156 on: 04 September, 2021, 08:45:04 am »
We have visited a few times and indeed hope to spend a few days there next week.  I cannot recall seeing washing but the camping site warden does patrol regularly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #157 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:43:23 pm »
"No washing lines" is one of those campsite rules like "No sign-written vehicles" that exists strictly for aesthetic reasons, and definitely not as a means of indirectly discriminating against working class people / travellers / those who don't want to feed lots of money to the tumble driers.

« Reply #158 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:57:11 pm »
mllePB reminds me that Gibraltar Farm does have a laundry room so probably a drier to boot.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #159 on: 04 September, 2021, 12:58:05 pm »
There's also the well-known fact that if you hang up washing in the north of England, it makes it rain.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #160 on: 04 September, 2021, 01:01:45 pm »
What is Apollo's current state of velopia?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #161 on: 04 September, 2021, 01:18:52 pm »
Ah the plot thickens in Silverdale.......

'Brand new washer / drier available for the use of campers.'
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #162 on: 04 September, 2021, 02:18:41 pm »
"No washing lines" is one of those campsite rules like "No sign-written vehicles" that exists strictly for aesthetic reasons, and definitely not as a means of indirectly discriminating against working class people / travellers / those who don't want to feed lots of money to the tumble driers.

Thanks Kim & all for the feedback. After thinking about past camping trips around this time of year I have decided I'd be much better off in a hostel.

BUT... Gibraltar Farm at Silverdale does look awesome, great views... beach at bottom of campsite. More great countryside nearby... so I think I'll be making a trip there in summer 2022... YACF camping weekend!?

« Reply #163 on: 04 September, 2021, 08:38:13 pm »
Apollos velo is running very well and reliability  :thumbsup:.  He has moved from Stoke Lodge in Basingstoke to a new residential care home in Langley and comes home every other weekend. We have been doing a lot of local rides.
We will be cycle camping this month or next. We might go to Porlock in Somerset or Canterbury or Sittingbourne in Kent for a week. I am waiting for the care home to let me know which of the campsites have room   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #164 on: 04 September, 2021, 09:37:04 pm »
That all sounds jolly good.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #165 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »
Apollos velo is running very well and reliability  :thumbsup:.  He has moved from Stoke Lodge in Basingstoke to a new residential care home in Langley and comes home every other weekend. We have been doing a lot of local rides.
We will be cycle camping this month or next. We might go to Porlock in Somerset or Canterbury or Sittingbourne in Kent for a week. I am waiting for the care home to let me know which of the campsites have room   :)

Sounds brilliant.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.