Author Topic: ACME Grand 1000km 28 June 2018  (Read 60164 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: ACME Grand 1000km 28 June 2018
« Reply #225 on: 12 June, 2018, 08:47:07 pm »
I've just noticed the 9:03 control closing time in Barry on Saturday morning. That means an earlier start from Port Talbot than I was hoping for. Boo.

Having done Stacey & Gavin (the reverse of Gavin & Stacey) last year it took me nearly 26 hours with no sleep stops and fresh legs before THOSE climbs, so the 0900 out of Barry is right on the limit for me.  I'm also planning to stop in Port Talbot and leave at first light (about 0300) with 3 hours to get to Barry (planned).
The route is flatter back from Barry, goes via the coast so you only have to do the Eglwysilan climb once, and even then it's the less steep side :)
Regards,

Joergen

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #226 on: 13 June, 2018, 11:26:45 pm »
So it begins.
The pedals have been changed on the long distance audax bike.
I've thought about which socks to take, after reading Tom's very helpful account of his solo DIY.
I might actually have to start this ride.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

rob

« Reply #227 on: 15 June, 2018, 11:23:33 am »
This has rather crept up on me but my other activities have diverted me.

Put new tyres, chain and lower gear on the Audax bike last night.   Not ridden a gear that low for a while and it's very spinny.   It should help with the Forest of Dean and the Welsh mountains, though.

Will put a bit more prep time in next week.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #228 on: 15 June, 2018, 11:34:36 am »
Not ridden a gear that low for a while and it's very spinny.   It should help with the Forest of Dean and the Welsh mountains, though.

Out of interest, how spinny?  I'm wavering towards gears, after my TINAT fail, as I now need this for RRTY, and both JJ and Tomsk's recent write-ups indicated the route feels hillier than online mapping would have us believe  ::-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #229 on: 15 June, 2018, 11:42:32 am »
Not ridden a gear that low for a while and it's very spinny.   It should help with the Forest of Dean and the Welsh mountains, though.

Out of interest, how spinny?  I'm wavering towards gears, after my TINAT fail, as I now need this for RRTY, and both JJ and Tomsk's recent write-ups indicated the route feels hillier than online mapping would have us believe  ::-)

I've gone from 79" to 70".   I got round the last LEL on 70" and only walked one bit in the Howardian Hills and the cobbles in Alston.

Can always walk here and there.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #230 on: 15 June, 2018, 12:33:28 pm »

I've gone from 79" to 70".   I got round the last LEL on 70" and only walked one bit in the Howardian Hills and the cobbles in Alston.

I had to walk a couple more, too — I'm heavier and less powerful than you are (and I was running 72-inches).

rob

« Reply #231 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »

I had to walk a couple more, too — I'm heavier and less powerful than you are (and I was running 72-inches).

This was the 2013 version, though.   I was probably 10kg  heavier back then.   My fitness improvements have only really been in the last 2-3 years, when I got a bit more focused.    It won't last.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #232 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:35:36 pm »

I had to walk a couple more, too — I'm heavier and less powerful than you are (and I was running 72-inches).

This was the 2013 version, though.   I was probably 10kg  heavier back then.   My fitness improvements have only really been in the last 2-3 years, when I got a bit more focused.    It won't last.

Ah, I was on the Brompton for that one.  I walked the 1-in-6 after the hay-bale, but I think I rode everything else (I think).  I was 5kg lighter then than I am now, and quite a bit fitter. 

This discussion isn't helping ... actually, it is — it's looking more likely I'll be attempting this on gears  :facepalm:

rob

« Reply #233 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:40:08 pm »

Ah, I was on the Brompton for that one.  I walked the 1-in-6 after the hay-bale, but I think I rode everything else (I think).  I was 5kg lighter then than I am now, and quite a bit fitter. 

This discussion isn't helping ... actually, it is — it's looking more likely I'll be attempting this on gears  :facepalm:

I don't have the choice to take gears.   In my mind I had this down as one of the more relaxing weekends of the year given how much time I have spent beating myself up.    I have 2 hotel stops booked and aim to complete around the time the last PBP took me.

Then I got Tomsk's ride write up and the fear kicked in.

rob

« Reply #234 on: 18 June, 2018, 12:59:35 pm »
Are we on the final, final version of the routesheet ?

Was going to print it out and annotate this week.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #235 on: 18 June, 2018, 01:07:34 pm »
Yes, unless Tomsk has arranged some other routecheck to be ridden and not told anyone, I think that is as it is.
Regards,

Joergen

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #236 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:34:51 am »
Bad news. The weather forecast says there'll be a following wind all the way to Barry Island with the lowest temperature at night in double figures and zero chance of rain. Llangattock will be about four degrees in the middle of the night. For the return trip there might be a slight headwind. No rain forecast at all.
I'm running out of excuses. I was hoping for a forecast involving war, pestilence, famine and a plague of frogs.
Looks like I'll have to start this.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #237 on: 20 June, 2018, 11:42:43 am »
Yes, unless Tomsk has arranged some other routecheck to be ridden and not told anyone, I think that is as it is.

I thought Tom mentioned someone might be riding it the week before? It was in his email — "Please find attached the revised route sheet, but note that the route will be checked again by another rider a week or so beforehand, so further revisions may be necessary!".

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #238 on: 20 June, 2018, 03:28:34 pm »
He'll be back in the next day or so, so hopefully we'll find out :)
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #239 on: 20 June, 2018, 08:38:49 pm »
Route is finalised, ride will now be by DIY and too near the start time to be useful.

Currently at 100 riders, after DNS notifications.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #240 on: 20 June, 2018, 10:51:28 pm »
Thanks, Tom — now I can get on and print myself the routesheet  :thumbsup:

« Reply #241 on: 21 June, 2018, 05:42:04 pm »
I'm out. Having failed to complete half my audaxes this year, and a general lack of riding due to other commitments, just don't have the required physical or mental strength to do this. I've got a prepaid room at the Barry Premier Inn on Friday night going spare - pm me if interested.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Phil W

« Reply #242 on: 21 June, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »
Passes quite close around the 70km, 990km marks.  May head out with SLR to grab a few shots.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #243 on: 21 June, 2018, 08:04:52 pm »
Some piccies would be good Phil  :thumbsup:

I should have expert photographer #2 offspring out and about with a camera in Dunmow, if he's not started his holiday job by then. Otherwise Soupy or Mrs Tomsk...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #244 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:05:58 pm »
I'll be bringing my camera as well.
Regards,

Joergen

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #245 on: 21 June, 2018, 09:27:06 pm »
I've got a prepaid room at the Barry Premier Inn on Friday night going spare - pm me if interested.

Am tempted.
But while my general lack of achievement and idleness is on a par with yours, I - for some reason I can't explain - am going to have a go at this. The plan is to wing it with a bivvy bag. If it all goes horribly wrong I'll head for the nearest railway station.
So that room ought to go to someone more likely to actually reach Barry.

I refer the court to my sig line.

« Reply #246 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:32:23 pm »
Bad news. The weather forecast says there'll be a following wind all the way to Barry Island with the lowest temperature at night in double figures and zero chance of rain. Llangattock will be about four degrees in the middle of the night. For the return trip there might be a slight headwind. No rain forecast at all.
I'm running out of excuses. I was hoping for a forecast involving war, pestilence, famine and a plague of frogs.
Looks like I'll have to start this.

And successfully complete it squire

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #247 on: 22 June, 2018, 03:02:20 pm »
I'm out..... just don't have the required physical or mental strength to do this. I've got a prepaid room at the Barry Premier Inn on Friday night going spare - pm me if interested.

^ X2 I am also a DNS with a prepaid room at Barry Prem. PM me....etc
Good Luck everybody!

rob

« Reply #248 on: 22 June, 2018, 06:57:19 pm »
Manipulation of the calf, Achilles and knee with the physio today.   Incredibly painful experience but I can feel much more mobility already. 

Hopefully should be back up to speed next few days.

« Reply #249 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:19:12 am »
Route is finalised, ride will now be by DIY and too near the start time to be useful.

Currently at 100 riders, after DNS notifications.

Thanks Tom, useful notes on food etc very handy. A small GF something would be nice at the tea party :-)

A