Author Topic: Daily internet connection fail  (Read 1622 times)

Daily internet connection fail
« on: 08 April, 2018, 10:33:05 am »
As above, really.
For the last 2 or 3 weeks, every single day without fail, between 10:10 and 10:15 in the morning, my internet connection hangs up.
The router re-sets itself, and all is well again.
Anyone else experience anything similar?
Or know why this might be?
BT is my provider, and its a bog-standard connection - not fibre-optic or anything like that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Daily internet connection fail
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:02:06 am »
Might be the router doing updates. Ours does the same thing, but not quite as regularly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:11:21 am »
I'm with BT with FTTC. My broadband tends to hang at around 1am most days and I'm too lazy/passive to grumble.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 08 April, 2018, 11:19:25 am »
We get a hang at about 9am, and occasionally at other times. I put it down to BT playing sealasses with the network, which has townwide problems.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »
Ours used to hang in the evenings for a few weeks until I got snotty with Plusnet*.  It's been fine for a few months now.

* Secret lovechild of BT

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:04:00 pm »
Check the router logs, see if it gives any clues. Is the router actually resetting, or is it just dropping the connection?
Any other devices plugged in to the phone line?

« Reply #6 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:27:12 pm »
I'm with BT with FTTC. My broadband tends to hang at around 1am most days and I'm too lazy/passive to grumble.

I think that's probably two of us, as in 'Life's too short, and none of the computers are exactly running life-support systems or re-tasking satellites'.

Check the router logs, see if it gives any clues. Is the router actually resetting, or is it just dropping the connection?
Any other devices plugged in to the phone line?

I'm not sure how I'd go about checking the router logs.
Yes, the router is actually re-setting itself - what it does looks identical to what it'd do if I pressed the reset button.
Just the phone and the router with three computers sucking bandwidth from it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:40:50 pm »
If the router's actually rebooting, then it's either receiving a remote firmware update, or it's programmed to reboot for some reason, or there's a fault (power supply dropping out?).

If the line is dropping sync, that could be initiated by the other end.  BT wholesale lines have something called Dynamic Line Management where they automagically re-sync with different parameters in order to optimise the stability/performance of the line.  If it's re-syncing with different throughput and margins, that's probably what's doing it.  It should settle down eventually, unless the properties of the line are changing (eg. we used[1] to get a spate of DLM-induced re-syncs at the start and end of university term, when all the students and their electronics moved out/in.)

Alternatively, the line could be losing sync for some other reason.  Eg. a dodgy thermostat might be providing a burst of RF noise every day at about the same time and causing the line to drop.

If PPP is dropping but the line is staying in sync, that's likely to be jibble at your ISPs end.  LNSes rebooting or similar.

[1] We're now on a TalkTalk wholesale line, where I can nail the parameters at a known-good value.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:46:39 pm »
I'm not sure how I'd go about checking the router logs.

Log in to the router's web management interface and dig around until you see something likely looking.

The router's LAN-side IP address will be whatever your computer is using as "default gateway".  Bung that into a browser's address bar with http:// in front of it and you should find it.  Username is nearly always "admin".  Password is whatever the password for your router's management interface is (may or may not be the same as any WiFi password).  If you don't know what that is, then you must have got the router pre-configured from your ISP, in which case they should be able to tell you.  They probably did in some documentation somewhere.

« Reply #9 on: 08 April, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »
I think the remote firmware update might be the likeliest candidate of your options.
I hear a wee 'click' from the router, within 30 seconds of which the streamed radio dies, and I'm unable to move forward from the page I'm reading.

I guess the oddest thing is that I've been using the same router since 2012 or so, and it has never done this before. This issue started roundabout the same time as I started using the Nixie tube clock (I'm not, for one moment, suggesting that there's a connection between the two events).