Author Topic: what's the current state of UK Audax ?  (Read 47269 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: what's the current state of UK Audax ?
« Reply #275 on: 08 June, 2018, 03:51:52 pm »
...people have a little bit more money and the bus shelters have been rebranded as "Travelodges".

I recall the hard time I was given by some other riders the first time I used a Travelodge on an audax.

You're OK - just don't let Mrs B start following you around from one control to the next in a motorhome.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #276 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:42:44 pm »
I would say this is a good thing... last thing you want is an audax being invaded by needy folks...that the vertical ascent did not match the one on Strava

A few years ago I had a previous high finisher in the National 24H complaining about exactly this on the Avalon Sunrise

whosatthewheel

« Reply #277 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:02:12 am »
At some point we mentioned TLC, so this X rated event caught my eye in the results page. I can only guess the route should be superb, probably very demanding... certainly that day the weather was magnificent... maybe one could argue that the start is a bit remote for many... either way, it turns out there are 3 finishers. I bet if it was a full TLC national 300 route we would be looking at 150

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-341/

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #278 on: 16 June, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »
bus shelters have been rebranded as "Travelodges".

With the difference that Travelodges are less welcoming.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #279 on: 16 June, 2018, 08:16:36 pm »
A Sportive on the other hand (what does that word even mean? "Sport-like"?) is for me a kind of fake event, in which most riders are pretending to be racer-like and "pro". Even the send-off is kind of dishonest with the organizer saying "now this is not a race" while middle-aged men in team kit exchange knowing glances.
Not for everyone.  I ride the odd sportive.  I consider them as audaxes without the pressure of a time limit.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #280 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:04:08 am »
There might be a validation bottleneck...  ::-)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #281 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:58:58 am »
The validation process is definitely going to need reformation within 5-10 years. It's just not tenable for putting bits of paper in the post for manual processing by volunteers going in to the 21st century. I appreciate current volunteers may prefer to stick with what they know but prospective volunteers are going to be baffled and frustrated by being asked to use inefficient processes.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #282 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:03:56 am »
The validation process is definitely going to need reformation within 5-10 years. It's just not tenable for putting bits of paper in the post for manual processing by volunteers going in to the 21st century. I appreciate current volunteers may prefer to stick with what they know but prospective volunteers are going to be baffled and frustrated by being asked to use inefficient processes.

Technically only the BRM still need the all post thing.... and in my opinion there are way too many BRM in the calendar. Other than in PBP years, who needs a 200/300/400 BRM? They could easily drop to a BR with instant validation, leaving BRM only for the very long 600/1000+ events and even the latter only really needed on pre-PBP years

« Reply #283 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:12:50 am »
Funnily enough, the validation process *is* evolving, and has been for some time.

Self-validation - for some events, by some organisers - is relatively new, and the BRM process has changed too, no longer needing quite so much posted to Paris (yes, ACP accepts electronic submission, from AUK rather than from individual organisers). No doubt further changes will come.

As for BRM events, personally I'd prefer to see more rather than fewer. If you want any of the ACP awards, you need to claim using BRMs not BRs, and where organisers of long brevets in other countries require qualification, they also often require BRMs rather than locally validated events.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #284 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:15:38 am »
Technically only the BRM still need the all post thing.... and in my opinion there are way too many BRM in the calendar. Other than in PBP years, who needs a 200/300/400 BRM? They could easily drop to a BR with instant validation, leaving BRM only for the very long 600/1000+ events and even the latter only really needed on pre-PBP years

When I was contemplating whether or not to make my 200 a BRM, I canvassed for opinion here, and although the consensus was broadly in line with what you say, some people expressed a preference for BRM to the extent that they would choose a BRM over a BR, regardless of whether it's a PBP year or not (for many different reasons, such as the ACP awards as mentioned by jsabine.

My 200 is a BRM this year - which may or may not be of use to some as a PBP pre-qualifier - but I'll almost certainly revert to BR next year.

Instant validation wouldn't be appropriate for all events anyway and AFAIK is currently only available for 200s.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #285 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:16:06 am »

Except a BRM is needed to be able to get:

- ACP SR award

- ACP RANDONNEUR 5000

- ACP RANDONNEUR 10000

Also BRM's of 200 or more are registered with ACP.

Even if I don't aim for PBP next year (now looking unlikely), I'm going to be looking to do at least one BRM in the UK next year. Specifically because it's a BRM, not a BR or BP.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

« Reply #286 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:21:19 am »
Funnily enough, the validation process *is* evolving, and has been for some time.

Self-validation - for some events, by some organisers - is relatively new, and the BRM process has changed too, no longer needing quite so much posted to Paris (yes, ACP accepts electronic submission, from AUK rather than from individual organisers). No doubt further changes will come.

I find it reassuring that AUK isn't rushing into changes, preferring to introduce them gradually.

The first time I became aware that instant validation was a thing was on the Kennet Valley Run a couple of years ago when the org handed my card back to me after stamping it at the finish. I've not encountered instant validation again since then though. I'm in two minds about implementing it myself - it makes for more time-consuming work at the finish when I could perhaps be better occupied in more immediately useful ways.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #287 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:15:31 pm »

I'm in two minds about implementing it myself - it makes for more time-consuming work at the finish when I could perhaps be better occupied in more immediately useful ways.

That's when you need your willing army of minions! I don't think there's a rule that states that the post-ride validation may be carried out only by the event organiser.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

« Reply #288 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:24:32 pm »
That's when you need your willing army of minions!

Nice idea in theory...

« Reply #289 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:29:11 pm »
That's when you need your willing army of minions!

Nice idea in theory...

There's limited room in my kitchen for minions as well as riders.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #290 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:29:47 pm »
I've had a few brevets validated on the spot... it didn't seem a taxing task... an extra sticker involved... if you run a big event, you might have to apply 100 stickers... if it's small, maybe only 20 stickers!

« Reply #291 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »
I switched to instant validation this year on the Shark and doesn't really add that much work at the arrivée - what with the costs of stamps these days, saves you at least 50p per finisher.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #292 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »
I've had a few brevets validated on the spot... it didn't seem a taxing task... an extra sticker involved... if you run a big event, you might have to apply 100 stickers... if it's small, maybe only 20 stickers!

Even less work than sending them off then.  I'm amazed.

citoyen

« Reply #293 on: 27 June, 2018, 12:43:55 pm »

There's also the results sheet to be filled in for submission to AUK. Part of me thinks I'd rather be doing that with the brevets in hand to cross-reference and double-check, at my leisure after the event is finished.

Probably not a concern for more experienced organisers who are less likely to make errors or omissions in the process - which is part of the reason why AUK doesn't allow it for first-time organisers.

On the other hand, I can also see the benefits from an organiser's point of view.

« Reply #294 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:00:41 pm »

There's also the results sheet to be filled in...

And stamps, receipts and timings to be checked. 
Only one of my events is eligible anyway, so hardly an issue.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #295 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:12:10 pm »
What about a near future where an finish controller can simply click finishers through on a terminal (PC or smartphone), the finish time is automatically added and the finisher instantly appears as a 'provisional' in the Results pages?

I did actually trial this on 2 PBP qualifying events using a smartphone in a car park finish, as long ago as 2011, and it worked faultlessly.  Didn't integrate very well with the paper-based processes though - for example having to look up my online finish lists to transfer finish times back to the brevet cards.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #296 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:22:26 pm »
That assumes that your village hall has an internet connection or 3G/4G mobile signal...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #297 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:27:32 pm »
Nobody's saying it's compulsory.  I don't actually own a smartphone, I had to borrow one to trial it.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

whosatthewheel

« Reply #298 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:21:53 pm »
But back to my original comment... is there a validation bottleneck (crisis?)? Looks like anything that happened over the last 5 weeks has not been validated yet. Being the most prolific time of the year, that's a lot of rides

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #299 on: 27 June, 2018, 05:22:48 pm »
But back to my original comment... is there a validation bottleneck (crisis?)? Looks like anything that happened over the last 5 weeks has not been validated yet. Being the most prolific time of the year, that's a lot of rides

What is the usual validation process?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/