Author Topic: A59 at Blubberhouses CLOSED  (Read 1732 times)

A59 at Blubberhouses CLOSED
« on: 03 June, 2018, 10:01:08 am »
Useful info for anyone planning to cross the pennines between Harrogate and Skipton, which I just tried to do last night.

The A59 at Blubberhouses is closed. You'll see signs saying this and they mean it. A 3 foot deep crack has opened up across the entire road width and it could go at any minute.

There are security guards at either side.

The way around it is (from Harrogate) to ride right up to the blockage and take the road to the right, through some concrete blocks. Skipton is signed at the next set of blocks.

From Skipton, again ride right up to the barrier and go up to the left. At the crossroads turn right, through the blocks until you get back yo the A59.

It's a scenic diversion but not an unpleasant road.

The security chap said it would be at least 2 weeks before it's fixed, more than likely longer...

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Re: A59 at Blubberhouses CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:20:17 pm »
Has this affected your Preston - Whitby perm' in any way?

Andy Corless

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
Has this affected your Preston - Whitby perm' in any way?

I had to to make a slight diversion as described - the distance was a few km more and I suspect the elevation increased a bit too, but at 1am after the North Yorkshire Moors and Sutton Bank on the way out, its all relative...

I also stopped and had a pleasant natter with the security chap which was welcome at that hour...

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2018, 03:26:46 pm »
I'm riding home ('Boro) from Gargrave this weekend. I'm reckoning the A59 will be quiet as all the traffic is diverted.

The bike diversion- is that this?