Author Topic: Rivett saddles  (Read 735 times)

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
Rivett saddles
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:53:38 am »
Been a while since I posted but does The Panel have any thoughts about Rivett saddles. Just noticed them on the Carradice website and wondered ? Thanks
Apex predator of fruit cake

Re: Rivett saddles
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 11:40:48 am »
Nicely made.  Didn't suit me and I now have a couple of Berthouds.  However, a friend had the opposite experience.

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:38:53 pm »
Thanks Ian. Bit more research called for ...
Apex predator of fruit cake

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:00:23 pm »
They are actually made by Gyes. Meaning the leather will be a bit thicker than comparable Brooks models, and some waterproof fabric is added to the underside of the leather as well.

Size wise, the nose of those saddles is a bit wider than with Brooks.

Only problem I have had with Rivet/Gyes saddles is the paint on it. A black one developed blisters in the paint, that then looked like craquelure had formed.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:26:54 pm »
Rivet Cycle Works was started by Debra Banks who was the partner of the late Tom Milton, who founded Selle Anatomica and developed their range of 'made in America' leather saddles (I have had several and currently ride one). After Tom died, his sister took over the business and Debra subsequently set up Rivet. I have been happy with my Selle but bought a new one recently and returned it as the finish was so poor. I will try a Rivet Pearl next - it had a glowing review on road.cc and it seems the general finish is much better than the Selle. In the UK, the Rivet is available through Carradice (who are the importers) and St John Street, which is welcome, as Selle Anatomica are only available direct from the US, which means getting hit with import duty and vat and tax collection fees. They were briefly available on Amazon UK but have been pulled. If bought direct, Rivet offer a 365 day no questions asked try and return if you don’t like it, which is certainly worth something.

There is a youtube video interview with Debra in which she says the leather is sourced in Wisconsin and sent to Taiwan for manufacture by a master craftsman. It's obvious she sweats the details, which I like.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 01:30:03 pm »
Can I correct something that was stated earlier; although Rivet saddles are made by Gyes and are similar specification to their own brands, they are not the same leather. Debra sources her own leather and ships it to Taiwan for manufacture.

I have owned 2 Rivet saddles a Pearl and a Diablo, didn't really get on with either. the Pearl she took back under her guarantee and the other I sold. They are a beautifully made saddle just don't suit me. I have also had Selle Anatomica ones and didn't get on with them either. My view is the Rivet is the nicer saddle of the two.

An email I had from Margaret at Carradice seems to suggest they may not be ordering any more Rivet saddles for a while. Their current stocks also appear to be low. Word of warning, if you intend ordering either from the USA import, tax and handling charges are very steep.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 01:38:19 pm »
That is a pity, I have a couple of Rivet Pearl Pass saddles and quite like them. The other two Gyes-made saddles that I have are a notch below IMHO.

The Anatomica X that I have looks pretty rough in comparison and needed to be laced to stop it cutting into my thighs.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: Rivet saddles
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 04:55:50 pm »
There's a post on the Rivet Facebook page dated 26 June to say more saddles are on their way to Carradice.