Author Topic: Odd fetishes  (Read 6113 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Odd fetishes
« Reply #50 on: 13 August, 2018, 12:59:55 pm »
Just remembered I run shorter than the one-size-fits-some standard 170mm cranks, which must go a long way to reducing pedal strike.

« Reply #51 on: 14 August, 2018, 10:50:57 pm »
Just remembered I run shorter than the one-size-fits-some standard 170mm cranks, which must go a long way to reducing pedal strike.

Aren't quite a lot of cranks of different "lengths" actually the same length, but with the pedal holes in different positions?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 14 August, 2018, 10:57:52 pm »

Aren't quite a lot of cranks of different "lengths" actually the same length, but with the pedal holes in different positions?

All the ones in our fleet (various flavours in the 152.5-165mm range, not counting the 170s I have in the spares box) have the usual 10mm or so of between the hole and the end of the crank.  They may use the same casting and remove some material from the end, of course.  I've see multiple drillings on tandem stoker cranks for growing-child-compatibility, but that weakens the crank.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #53 on: 15 August, 2018, 07:35:09 am »
Some very cheap 165mm cranks are alternatively-drilled 170mm cranks, but not many.  My old Thorn Nomad came with (cast, not forged) Dotek cranks of this type, which were ugly, heavy and probably not very strong.  I replaced them with Sugino cranks eventually.

You still get the extra clearance in most cases, because the outside of the pedal is usually the first thing to hit the road when the bike is leant over.  However, there is so much traffic-calming clutter on the roads now that you could conceivably catch the crank itself on the kerb of a chicane, or on a raised mini-roundabout (I've done the latter).  Off-road, it's common to clip rocks with the crank.  My MTB ones are often scarred.  As with fixed, sometimes you have to keep pedalling through obstacles on an MTB, usually for fear of stalling on a climb.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.