Author Topic: Rim replacement - Mavic CXP22  (Read 2024 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Rim replacement - Mavic CXP22
« on: 13 August, 2018, 11:41:18 pm »
On the fixed I have a Goldtec hub, with a Mavic CXP22 rim. I've just noticed one of the spokes has pulled through the rim. And looks like it is cracking/corroding around a few of the other holes. Seems this is quite a common problem with these rims.

So what to replace it with? Most of the spokes seem to be in OK condition, so worth reusing them? If so, would be looking for a rim with same ERD. Spoke calculators say about 598 mm for CXP22.
Don't really want another CXP22 if it is going to have the same problem. Maybe CXP33 is better, but more expensive? Seems they have now been replaced with CXP Elite/CXP Pro.

Or other makes/models worth looking at? Any cheaper options.
Maybe have to get some new spokes anyway?

It is a 36 hole hub. Will probably be using 28mm tyres, or maybe a little wider.

Re: Rim replacement - Mavic CXP22
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2018, 11:27:26 am »
Hi fuaran. I am using Mavic Aksium Race (Silver) on both of my bikes and there is absolutely no sign of the corrosion damage that is shown in your image.
Both of the bikes are using the Mavic Aksium Race Cartridge Hubs and have bladed spokes.

Granted at the age of 72 years+ I do not intentionally go out in the rain but when caught out the rims are not left to just dry off themselves and all of the spokes are wiped clean of grot.

Is the real problem conflicting metals causing corrosion at the spoke seat/rim and the spoke nipple ?
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2018, 11:31:34 am »
ERD of THESE is quoted at 601mm which roughly equates to 1.5mm per spoke.

Ticks all the other boxes including 700c black 36 hole. ~50g heavier

Looking at the corrosion aroung the eyelets I'd say that rim's had a good innings and even if I were reusing the spokes I'd be tempted to fit new nipples.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2018, 11:48:06 pm »
Thanks, those Exal rims look like a good value option. Though a bit wider/heavier than I'd prefer. Maybe the Exal XR2 or XR3 would be better (with new spokes).
Or Mavic Open Elite?
Or find another CXP22.

FWIW I usually prefer silver rims, but I seem to have ended up with several black rims on my bikes. Probably all the shop had in stock last time it was rebuilt.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2018, 01:27:51 am »
cxp elite is the replacement rim for CXP22 and is basically the same thing but with slightly thinner brake surfaces vs some versions of the CXP22.  Easy build.

If you don't want a repeat performance corrosion-wise, treat the rim with waxoyl (internally and externally, run it in whilst hot) around the spoke holes, and make sure that not too much water gets inside the rim by dribbling down the valve stem.

The corrosion in your rim was almost certainly made as bad as it was by winter road salt.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2018, 01:40:33 pm »
FWIW, I've got an Exal ML21 that's in the early stages of similar corrosion.  Bike lives indoors, except when touring, where it's subject to the usual prolonged soakings.  Minor exposure to road salt (I tend not to use that bike much in winter).  The front rim was a slightly older Sun CR18, which was absolutely fine when I had to replace it after impact damage a couple of years ago. 

The bike that does most of my salty winter miles has Mavic A719s, no sign of corrosion there, either.

I reckon there's more to it than just salty water.

« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2018, 02:15:32 pm »
rear wheels get most of the road crud hurled at them but they may also get any surlus chain lube landing on them. Often the latter can outweigh the former.

BTW mavic rims with stainless visble eyelets you should be wary of; one of my chums had a set of such rims that looked fine, but when investigated, it turned out that the second (non stainless) part of the eyelet had corroded right through. The front rim on the same set was fine.

cheers