Author Topic: Anyone got a Surly LHT and a Tubus Tara front rack?  (Read 3476 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Anyone got a Surly LHT and a Tubus Tara front rack?
« on: 16 August, 2018, 07:36:42 pm »
I can't get mine level.  It's not critical, especially as it slopes slightly backwards, which some people like as it makes the panniers less likely to slide under braking.  Looks a bit odd, though.  The mid-fork boss seems lower than ideal.  Also, it really gets in the way of the QR lever.  I had to use a cheese head screw to get the lever to close.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Re: Anyone got a Surly LHT and a Tubus Tara front rack?
« Reply #2 on: 16 August, 2018, 08:41:26 pm »
I've got a Tara on my Thorn Nomad.   I don't think it's exactly level, but it's never been an issue (for me).  Never had any problems with it obstructing the quick release.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 16 August, 2018, 09:02:20 pm »
Surly use very sculpted dropouts that get in the way. 

The best configuration (after a bit more messing) is to put the rack and mudguards both on the rear eye of the fork-end, with the rack outside the Secu-Clip thingy.  This spaces it enough to fit round the fork blade, which it touches, but only just.  The rack is almost horizontal and leaves room to fasten the QR.  I'm surprised the front eye is so useless - I thought that was intended for a rack.

I'm wishing I'd bought the £17 low-riders now!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 16 August, 2018, 09:16:09 pm »
It's a while since I had that front rack and it wasn't on a LHT - I fitted the guards to the rack, like this