Author Topic: Winter cycling shoes  (Read 1168 times)

Winter cycling shoes
« on: 24 September, 2018, 08:15:53 pm »
Any recommendations for winter road cycling shoes. Need to accept SPD (2 bolt) cleats.

Thanks.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Re: Winter cycling shoes
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2018, 05:43:00 am »
Something from the Trek sale

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike-clothing/cycling-apparel/cycling-shoes/c/A207/?sort=price-asc&pageSize=24&q=%3Arelevance&show=Page#

I’m using the Solstice shoes, £35, impressed so far. Pair of had overshoes for wet days, sorted.

A

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2018, 09:51:31 am »
I'm loving my shimano rt4 touring shoes for winter riding. No mesh, no vent holes, just sensible walkable shoes. Not sure if it's the lace up closure or if the last is genuinely different from the roadie range of shimano shoes, but they fit me OK in spite of the fact that I normally require a wide fitting shoe.  The latter just means more room for cosy socks if you don't have wide feet.

In fact, as someone who always suffered from cold feet, these in winter and Giro Factor ACC HV shoes in summer (perforated uppers, but very small holes and no mesh) has been one of a handful of cycling revelations in the last year or so that I can't believe I didn't suss years ago.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2018, 10:43:28 am »
If money is no object, look at the Northwave waterproof range.
I have been using an earlier model Northwave for the last 3 winters - superb.
The model I have is no longer made and the current range look even better.

« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2018, 11:19:13 am »
Another vote for the Northwave products.
My (superceded) waterproof boots are probably the best bit of kit I've got.
They're going into their 3rd Winter and they're still performing well.
I wear diver's cuffs over the tops of them in prolonged rain. They stop water running into the top of the boots.