Author Topic: I may never ride in anger again  (Read 7956 times)

fuzzy

I may never ride in anger again
« on: 14 November, 2018, 12:13:40 am »
As a result of my off and a several of broken ribs towards the end of September, I am considering my cycling future.

It is not so much Teh Fear as the realisation of the impact a week in hospital and the ongoing debilitation caused by my injury had on my family.

My wife and Iwere duet o fly to Malta for a weeks holiday mid October. This was a holiday my wife desperatly needs. Doctor said no. The lung puncture and partial though minor Pneumothorax meant that flying was potentialy very hazardous.

I love riding and she knows this. Here comes the killer though- she said that next time I won't be so silly. Wrong. My riding style is that even though I go out for a relaxing ride, I soon find myself pushing it close to, or as I found out, beyond my limits. If I'm not running the risk of overcooking a hairpin bend on a tarmac descent or stuffing it into a tree or off a berm on a ragged hardtail trail in the woods, I can't really see the point.

I will still do test rides at work or pop out on the cargo bike for a delivery but, the steeds in the shed may never get used again  :'(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: I may never ride in anger again
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:20:04 am »
Find someone slow to ride with?

fuzzy

« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:23:48 am »
I tend to ride alone these days, though the big off was a small work tester ride.

Even with a slower partner, parts of a ride would see me upping the pace and pushing sections of the route. I would not be able to help myself.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:36:26 am »
 :( :-\

You may have to take up golf.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2018, 01:32:21 am »
Me & my big mouth!

Apols, matey. I PMed you before I was even aware of this thread.  >:(

As to the future? You need a velomobile. Simples!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 14 November, 2018, 01:42:34 am »

TEH HORROR!!!!!
VELOMANCER

« Reply #6 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:10:18 am »

I've actually injured myself more times playing golf* than mtbing! I agree with Fuzzy - if you don't come off, you're not trying hard enough. Not that there's anything wrong with taking a bimble through the woods though.

*Once my girlfriend at the time sliced a tee shot straight into my back from about 10 yards. I don't think it was deliberate, but it might have been  :P  Another time I took a rather ambitious shot out of heavy rough and sprained my wrist so badly that I had to go to A & E. Oh and there was the time I got struck by lightning! Well, it struck a tree a few yards away as I was taking my shot and the tingling shock put me straight on the deck. Golf's a dangerous game kids!

Edit: All the best Fuzzers, my dad came off his bike a few years ago - knocked himself out, but he has got back on his bike again recently. He's 74.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:34:19 am »
Lookit, this isn't meant to be a criticism in any way, but the title you chose for the thread is very telling, either if it were deliberate or subconscious.

I tend to ride alone these days, though the big off was a small work tester ride.

Even with a slower partner, parts of a ride would see me upping the pace and pushing sections of the route. I would not be able to help myself.

All life is a balance of risk and enjoyment, you've put your finger on issue  that you feel you take too many risks on a bike, but that really can change without taking all the enjoyment  out of it. Not sure when (or even how) I adjusted, but I did. I know part of it for me was ditching computer/speedo and part of it was consciously putting advanced driving techniques in place when cycling. Heal soon, anyhow, and think again then.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:56:36 am »
Difficult. I haven't got much to suggest but I don't think that laying off the bike is a solution - you'll be pissed off and grumpy before long. Just try to can the urge to take bends as if you had steel kneecaps.  One of them has a shovelful of gravel waiting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:10:59 am »
Oh yeah, corners. It was a simple off about 25 years ago  going round a 90o turn resulting in only bad road rash that (through neglect, admittedly) almost lost my leg and as a result scared the bejaesus out of me so much so much it turned me into a really crap descender, cautious on bends, doesn't stop me enjoying riding.

« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:38:00 am »
If you need that buzz in your life it isn't going to go away, you'll only find a different, possibly more hazardous, way to get it.  I'm a cautious rider, my pleasure comes from where the bike takes me, doesn't stop the odd fall and injury, sometimes it isn't within our control.

Ben T

« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:19:31 am »
...My riding style is that even though I go out for a relaxing ride, I soon find myself pushing it close to, or as I found out, beyond my limits. If I'm not running the risk of overcooking a hairpin bend on a tarmac descent or stuffing it into a tree or off a berm on a ragged hardtail trail in the woods, I can't really see the point.

It sounds like you need the possibility of crashing for it to be fun. But you also need not to suffer the eventuality of crashing. So you've essentially arrived at an oxymoron.
But, stepping back: is it not the crashing that is important, but rather, the practice of the skill level of maintaining a level close to the "cliff edge" but not quite over it, that is enjoyable. It's just unfortunate that with cycling, the 'cliff edge' is one that is not particularly enjoyable to experience, when/if you actually do. You simply need to acquire a hobby that still has a cliff, but a different cliff  :D

« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:21:35 am »
Why don't you try age-catergory road racing. There may be an element of thrill and risk
riding in a peloton, especially when going for a bunch sprint :thumbsup: .

Ben T

« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:22:11 am »

I've actually injured myself more times playing golf* than mtbing! I agree with Fuzzy - if you don't come off, you're not trying hard enough. Not that there's anything wrong with taking a bimble through the woods though.

*Once my girlfriend at the time sliced a tee shot straight into my back from about 10 yards. I don't think it was deliberate, but it might have been  :P  Another time I took a rather ambitious shot out of heavy rough and sprained my wrist so badly that I had to go to A & E. Oh and there was the time I got struck by lightning! Well, it struck a tree a few yards away as I was taking my shot and the tingling shock put me straight on the deck. Golf's a dangerous game kids!

Edit: All the best Fuzzers, my dad came off his bike a few years ago - knocked himself out, but he has got back on his bike again recently. He's 74.

Another common but not-often-admitted-to golf injury is to the knee, during an attempt to break the club over it  ;D

« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:09:51 pm »
If golf is a good walk spoiled, what constitutes a good ride wrecked?  I just assume, it differs from person to person - depending on the cycling environment, but where things aren't as fixed as they necessarily might seem.  I enjoy being being more 'tourer' than 'le tour', and kind of accept being not much of a climber and a cautious descender;  usually I just find myself scanning about for the next photo opportunity...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:14:03 pm »
If golf is a good walk spoiled, what constitues a good ride wrecked?

Audax, obviously.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #16 on: 14 November, 2018, 12:51:20 pm »
My dad was an alcoholic and occasional drunk-driver. He knew he had to deal with his problem, so he sold the car.

If you don't enjoy cycling any other way, and you're not prepared to take the associated risks, giving up is logical. But I think we would all say: consider the alternatives first.

Statistically, they tell us that cyclists live longer and better, but maybe you're right; maybe you're one of those other statistics.

(In case it's not clear, I really don't want you to give up cycling for pleasure. But I recognise that - like my dad - you might know your own limitations better than anyone else)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #17 on: 14 November, 2018, 05:20:48 pm »
In case it's not clear, I really don't want you to give up cycling for pleasure. But I recognise that - like my dad - you might know your own limitations better than anyone else

This.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #18 on: 14 November, 2018, 05:58:09 pm »
Fuzzy, giving up or not has to be your choice, but don’t let it take you away from this place.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #19 on: 14 November, 2018, 08:19:23 pm »
Why don't you try age-catergory road racing. There may be an element of thrill and risk
riding in a peloton, especially when going for a bunch sprint :thumbsup: .

After my VERY serious crash (11 broken bones, 3 serious brain injuries and a large blood loss) my wife has banned me from riding road races and with certain local groups but is happy for me to TT on the A14, A11 and A1!!! I haven't broached track riding yet...

I was always a rather cautious descender and am slightly more cautious now, it's not being able to see far enough in front of me for the speed more than anything else. I came down a steep hill in Spain recently slower than I went up it.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:08:08 pm »
would riding a very heavy / fixed gear bike contribute to lmiting your speed with the same amount of effort.  Or wearing civvies.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:31:26 pm »
would riding a very heavy / fixed gear bike contribute to lmiting your speed with the same amount of effort.  Or wearing civvies.

Recumbent trike, so you're less likely to fall off and hurt yourself[1].

[1] Assuming you don't follow cycleman over any small bridges.

fuzzy

« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
I have had thoughts of getting a trike- not so far to fall etc.

I really don't want to give up cycling. I just don't want to put my family through the inconvinience (at best) or trauma following the outcome of another screw up.

I know the liklihood of it happening is low but, the inner demon that emerges when I'm riding increases the risk.

I suppose I'd better find some distant customers who need deliveries in the truck bike.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. It is truly appreciated.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #23 on: 15 November, 2018, 12:35:16 pm »
Under these circumstances, it's normal for people to say "Take a deep breath", but that would be insensitive Fuzzy, so I won't.

Get yourself well first off, then decide. We're heading into that period of the year when the weather (normally anyway!) gets more and more rubbish and cold, the time for cycling in daylight is restricted*, and the 'opportunity' for accidents finding you will increase. Basically, don't rush to make a decision about something that will: keep you healthy (normally) and lift your spirits!

* when the sun does emerge in winter it's annoyingly low, potentially blinding drivers if you're road-riding. Dunno why I'm saying all this, you know it all already.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2018, 01:16:08 pm »
Put yourself on the market as a rider for Battle Mountain.  You can go very very fast and will not get broken if you do crash ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime