Author Topic: How far do you commute?  (Read 5347 times)

Re: How far do you commute?
« Reply #25 on: 19 December, 2018, 12:56:57 pm »
I've been in the habit of driving to the vicinity of the toll bridge (Severn) and cycling from there, somewhere about 11 miles each way into the Bristol outskirts on mostly low traffic roads. 5 days a week = 5000 miles this year. There's a clump of traffic lights near my office (3x) apart from that its rural :-)

Now the tolls have gone I might change my cycling habits. It's only another 5 miles to my house, up a big hill on an unlit narrow lane. It just doesn't seem appealing on a December evening but it's a must do in summer when I get to leave the car on the drive for weeks on end.

Very few other rides this year though. One audax in January, a few other 50 milers. I quite lost my mojo until mid Autumn and now I want to sign up for all the big rides next summer. Dragon Ride anyone?

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #26 on: 19 December, 2018, 04:17:20 pm »
takes out tape measure and concludes

77cm - distance from bed to desk.

« Reply #27 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:01:37 pm »
About 4 miles / 6.5 Km each way (cycling), with quite a long downhill going into work, uphill coming back. Enough to wake up the body in the morning.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #28 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:23:58 pm »
It's about 15 miles each way, but I rarely get to ride it these days due to school run requirements. She's almost old enough to make her own way to school - if I'm still working at my current place by then I'll probably do 3 or 4 days on the bike.

« Reply #29 on: 19 December, 2018, 05:49:52 pm »
Mainly work at home but a daily 10/15km loop to the gym is a great way to warm up the body first thing. We endeavour to do a weekly farm shop by bike for groceries  too thats around 20km runs trip. 
often lost.

« Reply #30 on: 19 December, 2018, 06:40:50 pm »
A mile each way - not worth getting the bike out for.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #31 on: 19 December, 2018, 07:01:08 pm »
so, is the consensus that a weekly commute, knocks some of the enthusiasm out of folks, for weekend riding as well?

« Reply #32 on: 19 December, 2018, 07:40:01 pm »
I don't think so. It appears from experience I'm more likely to go for a ride when I'm commuting. That doesn't hold true when I was doing a long commute, but up to 15 miles each way (or some arbitrary number around there) is no different from walking to the shops. and keeps your fitness so you can ride where you like when you like.

« Reply #33 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:49:54 am »
I do think so.
If I want to ride fast or long at the weekend I'll ride less through the week.

« Reply #34 on: 21 December, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »
so, is the consensus that a weekly commute, knocks some of the enthusiasm out of folks, for weekend riding as well?

Not commuting enough means I don't enjoy weekend cycling enough as I'm too unfit and it's just a slog, so I end up doing less weekend cycling.

Commuting too much meant I was often too knackered for weekend cycling.

So there's definitely a large middle ground that's good for both.

Of course, this shifts over time. When I was regularly doing Audaxes (i.e. a 200 or more at least once a month) then the commuting miles were relatively meaningless (since they only ever added up to ~120km or so).

Now I don't really do Audaxes I'm tired at the weekend with anything more than 50km commuting during the week!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #35 on: 27 December, 2018, 11:43:23 pm »
18km into work and 19km home via a slightly different route and extended to 36k if I fancy taking the scenic route. Working hard using commute to rebuild endurance ability after serious back injury in 2017, so still finding it quite a challenge (for back rather than legs) if I try to do more than 4 days/week.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #36 on: 28 December, 2018, 03:37:35 pm »
Mine had been a 13 mile round trip, which I ended up doing daily for the last 15 years.

However, since moving to the south coast after taking early retirement and now working on a new business venture, my current commute is about 3½ miles in total.  And now completely flat.  And only about 3 days a week.

If things pan out regarding premises, my commute will get even shorter to around 2 miles overall.

I'm not much of a cyclist anymore!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #37 on: 29 December, 2018, 04:15:36 pm »
I have choices  ;D
23km shortest route in
4km using nearest station to home
8km next nearest
12km next nearest
Any variations of above depending on time of day I start and finish.