Author Topic: Rejoining the ranks of the cyclists  (Read 3094 times)

Rejoining the ranks of the cyclists
« on: 03 January, 2019, 08:16:41 am »
In February I will be moving out of Cambridge to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere (well, a couple of miles out of Waterbeach, north of Cambridge).

So I'll be a 'proper cyclist' again. This will necessitate spending on some cycling gear (a bike bureau for starters, good thing work pays for this stuff).

Need to suss out routes. I'm told that the riverside path is 'suitable for mountain bikes or gravel racers only' from Clayhithe. I need to get from roughly near Bottisham Lock to near the main Cam train station.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Rejoining the ranks of the cyclists
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:35:59 am »
The Riverside route is fine on 25mm M+, I spent a year doing Milton to Lode. Once under the A14 it is a relatively simple run into town.

For off road commuting routes Cambridge has to be one of the best places going.

If you like, I can ask one of my team for more upto date info, as he lives near Cambridge.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:57:59 am »
Thanks for the info.

Bit unfortunate that I'll be starting in Winter, but hey ho, at least I have the bike for the job.

Did you cross at Baits bite lock? That looks to be very direct. I'm supposed to be moving site to Fulbourn in June. That will be less riverside and more busy traffic, going by Clayhithe and swinging round the airport.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:34:18 am »
Baits Bite lock was an awkward carry over crossing last time I did it, and no decent path for bikes on the other side. It may have changed now. It’s probably 5years since I was there.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2019, 11:29:52 am »
Baits Lock is a bit tricky, but we did just about manage to carry our tandem over.

« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2019, 12:35:53 pm »
I haven't done it for a few years but seem to remember the towpath was ok on robust tyres, and probably preferable to the road routes at rush hour.

But I think I might know the farmhouse in the middle of nowhere you are staying in. Not a lot about out there :).

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2019, 12:49:21 pm »
I haven't done it for a few years but seem to remember the towpath was ok on robust tyres, and probably preferable to the road routes at rush hour.

But I think I might know the farmhouse in the middle of nowhere you are staying in. Not a lot about out there :).
Is the place that notorious well known? 

It is a bit isolated. Mike OTP grew up a few miles over and told me that the flat country does "funny things to people". I could see that. There is something oppressive about it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:05:09 pm »
Nothing sinister, just a random friend connection.

Yes, it does have a bit of an atmosphere to it as you head down an isolated drove.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2019, 01:26:19 pm »
If you can get onto the Clayhithe Road, that leads past the Scotsdales Nursery and across the A14 into Fen Ditton.  I've used that route from Waterbeach station down to Addenbrookes. There is a cycle path alongside the main road from Horningsea onwards, which might be a good idea at commuting time.

From a quick look at Bing maps, it looks like you have options in the middle of Fen Ditton to take a right at the crossroads, down the High Street and get offroad again alongside the river. I'm not that familiar with Cambridge for river crossing options (assuming you are working in the science park vicinity).

From Bottisham there are NCN routes right into the middle of Cambridge, mostly segregated paths to the sides of the roads, heading in past the airport, ending u at Fen Ditton again.

Third choice, from Waterbeach station(-ish), head out to the A10 adn I think there is a segregated path alongside, down to Milton, with a pedestrian/cycle bridge over the A14 to the science park/business park.

I've been here 14 years and I'm still not entirely at ease with the flatness
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:05:34 pm »
I work in two locations. One is very close to the main train station. The sensible route to that seems to be along the river to green dragon bridge, then the roads.
The other location is on Fulbourn Rd. That isn't such a nice route, no way of avoiding roads that are very busy at peak times.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2019, 02:26:01 pm »
Might be best to scout them at the weekend. It won't replicate the traffic density of course, but would highlight any surface issues / cycle paths.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:24:39 pm »

Bit unfortunate that I'll be starting in Winter,

If you start in winter, the weather can only get better!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:46:04 pm »
Is the other location in the business park on the Fulbourn Road in Cherry Hinton? I used to live in Cherry Hinton, and the roads around the Airport are all ok to ride along, as they've got decent cycle tracks. I would look to the river path rather than the B1047; as I remember it, certainly from the A14 turnoff through Fen Ditton the road is narrow, fast, and filled with impatient drivers - an acquaintance who commuted in that way had regular close passes.

As for getting from the station to Fulbourn Road, I used to work at the CUP site just next to the station and busway; I tended to go either straight down Cherry Hinton Road (if in a rush), or go over the pedestrian/cycle bridge and past the side of Coleridge recreation ground, the straight on and onto the path round the back of Cherry Hinton Hall.

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2019, 09:59:44 pm »
I know Cherry Hinton rd well - cycle down on it every day on a beaten up town bike.

Thanks for the info about the airport rds, I wasn't sure if there were cycle paths.

The 'business park' on fulbourn rd is the Arm site.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:16:32 am »
Is the other location in the business park on the Fulbourn Road in Cherry Hinton? I used to live in Cherry Hinton, and the roads around the Airport are all ok to ride along, as they've got decent cycle tracks. I would look to the river path rather than the B1047; as I remember it, certainly from the A14 turnoff through Fen Ditton the road is narrow, fast, and filled with impatient drivers - an acquaintance who commuted in that way had regular close passes.

As for getting from the station to Fulbourn Road, I used to work at the CUP site just next to the station and busway; I tended to go either straight down Cherry Hinton Road (if in a rush), or go over the pedestrian/cycle bridge and past the side of Coleridge recreation ground, the straight on and onto the path round the back of Cherry Hinton Hall.

There's now a segregated cycle/ped path that follows the road between Horningsea and the middle of Fen Ditton, then you can get down to the river at the traffic lights in the middle.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:40:49 am »
There's now a segregated cycle/ped path that follows the road between Horningsea and the middle of Fen Ditton, then you can get down to the river at the traffic lights in the middle.

Wow, Cambridge finally got round to building some useful infrastructure? Awesome!

In which case, coming from Fen Ditton (whether on the river path via Ditton Meadows, or on Ditton Lane), I'd head for Barnwell Rd, which has an off-road cycle track (on both sides IIRC, but the road isn't too bad either), then carry on down past Sainsbury's on Brooks Rd. Turn left onto Burnside and the Cherry Hinton Brook path, and either come out through the park and onto Cherry Hinton Road, or go through the back streets of Cherry Hinton across the high street and come out onto Fulbourn Road opposite the ARM site.

« Reply #16 on: 05 January, 2019, 02:03:06 pm »
There's a local cycling campaign for Waterbeach and the area around it.

http://www.waterbeachcc.com/p/welcome.html

One thing they are doing is campaigning for changes to Waterbeach New Town to both facilitate cycling and stop it damaging local cycle routes by turning them into rat runs.