Author Topic: Extinct supermarkets  (Read 15125 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Extinct supermarkets
« Reply #75 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:13:03 am »
I keep meaning to go into the sklep near work to see what interesting stuff I can find.
Things that look like Wotsits but are puffed maize in various flavours, savoury and sweet.
Some decent bread and especially rolls.
Some different types of yogurt, cheese and other dairy products like fermented milk and buttermilk.
And lots of tinned meat products that haven't been seen in UK since 1952.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #76 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:01:15 am »
I keep meaning to go into the sklep near work to see what interesting stuff I can find.
Things that look like Wotsits but are puffed maize in various flavours, savoury and sweet.
Some different types of yogurt, cheese and other dairy products like fermented milk and buttermilk.

I don't usually get any further than the sweet selections...

Particularly like the Wawel stuff that Tescos have been selling recently.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #77 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:23:43 am »
I'm not sure how you define 'supermarket' but where I grew up, on the south edge of London in the '50s, we had a Payantake, which was our only example of a self-serve establishment  (other than the public library) and was of a size that would now be called a 'convenience store'.  My father liked to point out that it should more correctly be called Takeandpay - though as far as I recall he never set foot in the place.  (He also complained, later on when a new shop opened up calling itself a 'Superette'  ::-) )

On the opposite side of the High Street stood Sainsbury's - emphatically not a supermarket at that time (say 1955) but still the best and most popular grocer's in town.  Inside, like its neigbouring shops, it was narrow dark and deep, with about 7 separate counters (3 on each side, one at the far end) for different foodstuffs such as cheese, butter, bacon, sausages etc.  Housewives would patiently queue at each counter in turn, giving perfect opportunity to receive and pass on gossip as the queues slowly rotated.  I found it incredibly tedious apart from the endless fascination that was the butter counter.

Next to Sainsbury's was Boots which was a similar size and shape inside - but the inner sanctum of Boots was, oddly, a lending library set up in opposition to the much larger public one which was a bit further away.  We had a book that my mother had borrowed from there, it was so far overdue that the fine would have far exceeded the cost of a replacement copy and she never had the face to return it - the title has always stuck in my mind - Leopard In My Lap.

Standing on the corner over the road was the Odeon cinema.  Sometime around the time that Billy Cotton sang:
They turned our local Palais
into a bowling alley and
fings ain't what they used ter be

the building was gutted and turned into a Fine Fare - our first real supermarket.  That would be the early '60s I think.  True son of my father, I never went in there.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #78 on: 17 January, 2019, 10:28:44 am »

We don't have a sklep in Leyland, but Lidl's stocking policy is very sensitive to demand, so our branch has a lot of Polish products to cater for those working at Amazon and the infrastructure company Enterprise.
Lidl is also just around the corner from the local takeaway cluster, so it stocks a lot of Italian, Indian and Chinese staples. A suitable catchment can alter the profile of the discounters.

« Reply #79 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:25:54 am »
Booker used to own (or franchise) a lot of the smaller local supermarkets - Fine Fare, Londis, Budgens, Mace etc.
Of which there are zillions.
They are, amongst other things, a wholesale supplier for whom, in another life, I used to drive an artic.
Booker were bought up by Tesco in (I think) 2017.

Fun fact - they're the same Booker as the one responsible for the literary prize.

ETA - Does anyone remember Pink Shield Stamps - or is there something wrong with my memory?

The pink stamps were S&H stamps, Sperry and Hutchinson (They were green everywhere else in the world but Green Shield beat them to the trade mark in the UK)

Leo's was an attempt by the CoOp to go upmarket, they had a store on Park Lane Toxteth which my father liked to go shopping at although he used to borrow my car to go there as it was less likely to be carjacked.

On the regional side I'm told that Roys of Wroxham is still going although they've now gone international with stores in Norwich and Thetford.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #80 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:37:22 am »
On the opposite side of the High Street stood Sainsbury's - emphatically not a supermarket at that time (say 1955) but still the best and most popular grocer's in town.  Inside, like its neigbouring shops, it was narrow dark and deep, with about 7 separate counters (3 on each side, one at the far end) for different foodstuffs such as cheese, butter, bacon, sausages etc.  Housewives would patiently queue at each counter in turn, giving perfect opportunity to receive and pass on gossip as the queues slowly rotated.  I found it incredibly tedious apart from the endless fascination that was the butter counter.
I find your fascination fascinating. What was so absorbing about the butter counter? Was it the weighing and cutting of lumps of butter or... what? I find it hard to imagine.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #81 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:49:23 am »
I find your fascination fascinating. What was so absorbing about the butter counter? Was it the weighing and cutting of lumps of butter or... what? I find it hard to imagine.

My home town had a butter market on the ground floor of the town hall. I was very disappointed to find it closed when I visited some time after 1975. It had a particular smell, and I think I missed reliving the smell as much as anything else.  Not only butter was available, but anything else you might find in an indoor food market.  The stall selling treacle toffee was a favourite.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #82 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:58:55 am »
Trading stamps were an important part of the transition from Resale Price Maintenance in 1964. Before then retailers had to sell products at the same price. So a tin of Heinz beans always cost the same. The idea was to stabilise supply, and was a hangover from wartime prices and incomes policy.

Pink and Green stamps were a sort of discounting, a capitalist version of the Co-Op's dividend. Edward Heath was the driving force behind the demise of Resale Price Maintenance, as he wanted to harmonise us more with EEC practice. The result was increased competition, leading to a smaller number of suppliers, and the extinction of smaller operators.

RPM persisted into the 2000s for phamaceutical products, the idea being to subsidise smaller chemist shops. https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/features/does-the-end-of-resale-price-maintenance-mark-the-end-of-community-pharmacy-as-we-know-it/20004364.article?firstPass=false

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #83 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:20:03 pm »

Yes it was all the 'business' with the wooden butter pats - talk about playing with your food, these days I have a horror of any food that has been visibly 'played with' (so that lets me out of any pretentious restaurants thankfully for my finances).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #84 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:03:03 pm »
Jacksons made it as far as North Yorkshire. There was one in York and until a few years ago one in Malton.
Hillards in York was the first supermarket I remember. It was a place of wonder when it opened, seemed huge. Then an Asda opened and dwarfed it.

Jackos were A Thing in the East Riding too.  There was one in Pocklington - dunno what it is now.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #85 on: 17 January, 2019, 02:07:02 pm »

Leo's was an attempt by the CoOp to go upmarket, they had a store on Park Lane Toxteth which my father liked to go shopping at although he used to borrow my car to go there as it was less likely to be carjacked.

We had a couple of Leo's round here too.  The Chingford one is now a Morrisons and the Leytonstone one, last time I looked, had turned into a Matalan.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #86 on: 17 January, 2019, 04:48:21 pm »
Jacksons made it as far as North Yorkshire. There was one in York and until a few years ago one in Malton.
Hillards in York was the first supermarket I remember. It was a place of wonder when it opened, seemed huge. Then an Asda opened and dwarfed it.

Jackos were A Thing in the East Riding too.  There was one in Pocklington - dunno what it is now.

Having been various other things since (somerfield, safeways, most recently coop) it's now been flattened and the site covered in, I believe, retirement apartments.  The Chinese takeaway is still there though.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #87 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:33:02 pm »
Yeah, to go with Food lore.

Fine Fare
Key Markets
Gateway
Somerfield

Those are the supermarkets that stood in succession in one corner of the Merrywalks shopping precinct in Stroud, behind what was then Woolworths. Or perhaps Key Markets came before Fine Fare. Anyway, I think there might be a Co-op there now. Perhaps Jaded could investigate? Or perhaps not.

I look forward to hearing other bygone names and perhaps finding out that some of these chains survive in remote wastelands of shopping.

I had a Saturday job working for Super Key which was the large version of Key Markets.  They built it on a disused plot of land near to a Waitrose in the Meadway Shopping Centre in Reading around 40 years ago.  The Superkey is now an Asda, whilst the Waitrose is now a gym!
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

bairn again

« Reply #88 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:40:51 pm »
I worked in a Galbraith in Falkirk which subsequently became a Wm Low and was then demolished. 

Ive never set foot in a Morrison but they did stump up many £££ to buy the site of Brockville Park Falkirk in my home town to open one of the 1st Morrisons in Scotland (all agreed before the Safeway conversions iirc).   

I've lived in the same bit of Edinburgh for 22 years now and going in reverse order my local Sainsburys was previously a Blockbuster (remember them) and a Wm Low before that. 

Residents of genteel Comely Bank in Edinburgh had a massive party when their Safeway became a Waitrose rather than a Morrisons, as they reckoned it protected somewhere between £50k - £100k on their property values.   

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #89 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:52:59 pm »
I think the Byres Road, Glasgow Safeway also became a Waitrose,

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #90 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:09:14 am »
Yeah, well, Byres Road.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #91 on: 18 January, 2019, 12:23:27 am »
I worked in a Galbraith in Falkirk which subsequently became a Wm Low and was then demolished. 

Ive never set foot in a Morrison but they did stump up many £££ to buy the site of Brockville Park Falkirk in my home town to open one of the 1st Morrisons in Scotland (all agreed before the Safeway conversions iirc).   

Morrison's have the best cafes of the major chains. One convenient one is on the Three Coasts at Malton. Another very useful one is at the foot of the Shap climb at Kendal. Planting tends to obscure it, but it's here. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3410343,-2.7371925,3a,52.1y,70.33h,85.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8oJ1eWW8Y0k8aBebQm-gsA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #92 on: 18 January, 2019, 07:48:33 am »
Saw this and thought of this thread.
Nearest big town to where I lived as a child. Wm Low, opened by Isla St. Clair no less!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/17/scottish-shopping-centre-sale-postings-kirkcaldy
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #93 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:04:27 am »
Nearest big town to where I lived as a child. Wm Low, opened by Isla St. Clair no less!
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/17/scottish-shopping-centre-sale-postings-kirkcaldy
Quite who would see it as a development opportunity is another matter.
Presumably a house builder or possibly offices.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #94 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:30:18 am »
Quite who would see it as a development opportunity is another matter.
Presumably a house builder or possibly offices.

Offices:
"Our Edinburgh headquarters is just out side the city centre..." - well it works for Dunfermline

Hooses:
"On the train line to Edinburgh where..." - that one even works as far north as Cupar.

« Reply #95 on: 18 January, 2019, 02:28:35 pm »

We had a centre like that in Leyland. It was abandoned in the late 1990s, and stood vacant. The council eventually attracted Tesco to redevelop the site. Eventually we ended up with Tesco, Asda, Lidl, Aldi, Sainsbury, Booths, Waitrose and Morrisons in South Ribble. The County Council even got IKEA to sign up for a store close to the M6/M65/M61 junctions. That fell through, and we're left with a bit of a bomb site.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #96 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:16:49 pm »
Crap shopping centres in the wrong places are always crap shopping centres. There a lot of bad ones out there.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #97 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:45:09 pm »
Think the Trafford Centre would agree with that.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #98 on: 18 January, 2019, 10:55:02 pm »
Fur coat and no knickers that one...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #99 on: 18 January, 2019, 11:04:00 pm »
You're pushing against an open door...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.