Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 86913 times)

Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #850 on: 04 February, 2023, 06:31:29 am »
Covid has next to no impact on the vast majority of children and they're paying a high price for covid restrictions, whether you believe they were necessary or not.
Sadly I think this is true.
Teachers are noticing decreased social skills in covid babies. I suspect we will see increased allergies as well due to decreased immune system activity from dirt,etc.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #851 on: 04 February, 2023, 07:46:26 am »
Covid has next to no impact on the vast majority of children and they're paying a high price for covid restrictions, whether you believe they were necessary or not.
Sadly I think this is true.
Teachers are noticing decreased social skills in covid babies. I suspect we will see increased allergies as well due to decreased immune system activity from dirt,etc.

It’s not really true…

What is true is that Covid appears to have a less severe impact on children (i.e. fewer end up hospitalised) but it does infect them and the new variants more so.  Here’s a recent article on the topic from the BMJ: https://www.bmj.com/content/380/bmj.p21

As far as I am aware there are lots of claims around the impact on children’s social skills, etc. but little by way of evidence.   Nursery and school closures were actually relatively limited, despite all the hysteria in some parts of the media. 

Older children may have been more heavily impacted by restrictions.  They’ve also been let down by a complete government failure to provide necessary support through both the educational and health care systems. 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #852 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:21:59 am »
There’s a big narrative going on that the effects of lockdown were way worse than just letting a few more old people die would have been.

It is coming from the same people that are fighting for other freedoms, like the right to drive wherever they want whenever they want, and so on.

The old people would have died anyway, apparently.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #853 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:25:35 am »
The sovereign citizen loonies?  What about the "no so old" people who died? 

We all die eventually.  That doesn't make it a rational argument in favour of allowing hundreds of thousands of people to die horribly.

« Reply #854 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:36:15 am »
There’s a big narrative going on that the effects of lockdown were way worse than just letting a few more old people die would have been.

It is coming from the same people that are fighting for other freedoms, like the right to drive wherever they want whenever they want, and so on.

The old people would have died anyway, apparently.

It's the same bunch of people who, now that the vaccine has ended the days of 1800 daily covid deaths and pushed the virus into the background of our lives,are saying "See! We told you all along it was nothing". Also same people saying that vaccine has killed more people than COVID.

« Reply #855 on: 04 February, 2023, 10:16:42 am »
One of the biggest failures of communication has been confusing what happens to a person with what happens at the population level and that it wasn't about you, it was about us.

I don’t think it was a failure of communication. The message was clear, endlessly repeated and reinforced, and reached almost everyone. What happened was that some of those who received the message decided that they didn’t want to participate in protecting that that “us”, probably because it included groups that they didn’t give a shit about. They were then hijacked, exploited, amplified and encouraged by various entities including some of the UK media and some of our elected representatives.

ian

« Reply #856 on: 04 February, 2023, 07:58:41 pm »
Lockdown was pretty much all we had at the time. It was a failure of global public health that led to that. To claim that it didn’t have significant negative effects is a bit odd but seems to align with certain mindsets. Lockdown is the price we paid to stave off the worst of Covid. It wasn’t a small price, and the majority was paid by the young and poor. It might be nice to occasionally acknowledge that debt.

To claim that an ‘we’ve created a generation of children many of whom will have significant health problems’ is reckless scaremongering. Not to mention entirely lacking in evidence.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #857 on: 04 February, 2023, 09:16:44 pm »
Lockdown was pretty much all we had at the time. It was a failure of global public health that led to that. To claim that it didn’t have significant negative effects is a bit odd but seems to align with certain mindsets. Lockdown is the price we paid to stave off the worst of Covid. It wasn’t a small price, and the majority was paid by the young and poor. It might be nice to occasionally acknowledge that debt.

To claim that an ‘we’ve created a generation of children many of whom will have significant health problems’ is reckless scaremongering. Not to mention entirely lacking in evidence.

The likes of Prof Anthony Costello and may on the Independent SAGE would disagree with this, but what would they know?

ian

« Reply #858 on: 04 February, 2023, 09:45:20 pm »
Independent SAGE have been consistently wrong about everything. To be fair though, they’ve never wavered in their consistency.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #859 on: 04 February, 2023, 10:52:02 pm »
I finally had my appointment at the long Covid clinic this week. They’ve started me on Montelukast, and the fact that I didn’t need any asthma medication at all prior to the plague, means I’m really pissed off. Because I feel like an ill person.

Need to go back for Physio and OT input plus lung function tests at some point soon.

I’m starting back at my regular job next week. There’s a high probability that this will fail. At that point there will need to be a Plan.
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #860 on: 15 November, 2023, 11:02:28 pm »
Have been feeling really shite for some days, with explosive coughing and sneezing. For the first time in my life, I feel at risk of lavatorial accidents as a result.

I’ve tested negative for Covid, but I feel a lot worse than I did in June last year, when I tested positive. The tests I have been using are a couple of months within their use-by date, but it seems to me that the phials have somehow lost fluid over time. It is actually quite difficult to squeeze two drops of fluid out onto the test gubbins.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #861 on: 15 November, 2023, 11:43:01 pm »
The tests I have been using are a couple of months within their use-by date, but it seems to me that the phials have somehow lost fluid over time. It is actually quite difficult to squeeze two drops of fluid out onto the test gubbins.

That seems to vary from batch to batch.  Obviously some dubious quality control.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #862 on: 16 November, 2023, 12:03:52 am »
The same box of tests had plenty of fluid when we last used them, quite a few months ago.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #863 on: 16 November, 2023, 01:10:16 am »
The test liquids do dry out.

Water vapour diffuses slowly through polythene.

Some older tests I had were U/S by the time I tried using them.
GWS Wow!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #864 on: 16 November, 2023, 06:58:06 am »
We have 600 tests at work which are more than nine months out of date. When my husband caught Corona, he was testing with a batch of new tests that I bought (an amazingly cheap price, €6 for 50!), But we also use some of the old out of date ones from Work and they still gave the same response so were accurate. One of the six we used didn’t have enough fluid but the rest were okay.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #865 on: 16 November, 2023, 12:00:29 pm »
Have been feeling really shite for some days, with explosive coughing and sneezing. For the first time in my life, I feel at risk of lavatorial accidents as a result.

I’ve tested negative for Covid, but I feel a lot worse than I did in June last year, when I tested positive. The tests I have been using are a couple of months within their use-by date, but it seems to me that the phials have somehow lost fluid over time. It is actually quite difficult to squeeze two drops of fluid out onto the test gubbins.
I think you can get cheap but reliable tests from Savers, of which I'm sure you have at least one in Southend. But of course it's quite possible you have eg flu rather than covid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #866 on: 16 November, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »
I had to combine two vials of solution, which seemed to work when I tested myself earlier, but I don't have covid just a general other unspecified cold. I wouldn't have bothered but I am – or was – heading to the office tomorrow. Too snotty and sick now to contemplate it so the outcome is moot. I'm tempted to cure myself with a litre bottle of Campari I acquired earlier. It has to be worth a try, right?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #867 on: 16 November, 2023, 09:23:38 pm »
I'm still coughing and sneezing very violently. I went to bed briefly last night but being horizontal seemed to make me cough uncontrollably. I got dressed and spent the night in a chair with a duvet over me. Curiously, I didn't need to get up for a wee, which normally I do. I slept reasonably well, but I have been falling asleep in a chair on and off all day.

My temperature is my normal 36°C, according to my cheap thermometer, and my blood oxygen levels are >95%. So I'm not feverish and I wouldn't class this as flu.

« Reply #868 on: 16 November, 2023, 11:16:17 pm »
I had to combine two vials of solution, which seemed to work when I tested myself earlier, but I don't have covid just a general other unspecified cold. I wouldn't have bothered but I am – or was – heading to the office tomorrow. Too snotty and sick now to contemplate it so the outcome is moot. I'm tempted to cure myself with a litre bottle of Campari I acquired earlier. It has to be worth a try, right?
Does trump recommend Campari nasal irrigation now?

« Reply #869 on: 17 November, 2023, 11:04:13 am »

Make some Campari Spritz.  50/50 Campari and prosecco, or 1/3 each Campari, white wine and sparkling water.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #870 on: 17 November, 2023, 12:16:23 pm »
Irrigating with that will surely clean the sinuses.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #871 on: 17 November, 2023, 05:05:00 pm »
I'm still coughing and sneezing very violently. I went to bed briefly last night but being horizontal seemed to make me cough uncontrollably. I got dressed and spent the night in a chair with a duvet over me. Curiously, I didn't need to get up for a wee, which normally I do. I slept reasonably well, but I have been falling asleep in a chair on and off all day.

My temperature is my normal 36°C, according to my cheap thermometer, and my blood oxygen levels are >95%. So I'm not feverish and I wouldn't class this as flu.

I think some water accumulates in the lower limbs during the day, when feet are below the level of the heart and return to the circulation when the body is horizontal, which isn't the case when you sleep in a chair.

This is most evident in folk with swollen akles for any reason.

The kidneys then get rid of excess water...

ian

« Reply #872 on: 17 November, 2023, 07:29:19 pm »

Make some Campari Spritz.  50/50 Campari and prosecco, or 1/3 each Campari, white wine and sparkling water.

That's what I normally do, but I'm experimenting with my 48 bottles of Malta's finest soft drink. So Campari, prosecco, and Kinnie. It hasn't fixed the cold but ensures I feel it less.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #873 on: 17 November, 2023, 09:12:41 pm »
Tested positive for the plague on Wednesday morning and spent Wednesday and Thursday in bed. Today is Friday and I now feel almost normal again.  That’s quicker than my usual colds.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #874 on: 21 November, 2023, 08:35:06 pm »
I tested positive just now with the faintest line I've ever seen.