Author Topic: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?  (Read 112085 times)

Re: Extended Calendar Events; A Marriage made in Heaven?
« Reply #425 on: 02 November, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »

I suggest those who don't like it start looking for a new ECE co-ordinator and I'll gladly pass them all on; anybody want further clarification you know my email
[/quote]
-            -            -            -            -            -            -            -
You've done Stirling work Zoom but as they say if the heats to HOT in zee kitchen then leave for those who want different!  Thanks for your great contribution

« Reply #426 on: 02 November, 2017, 02:25:23 pm »
I suspect the 215+85=300 vs 215+100=300 discussion is a bit of a red herring.

Not quite, and in the spirit of taking this discussion forward (or flogging a dead horse depending on ones interpretation) I believe there are 3 (or 4...) different distinct discussions going on at the moment:-

1) (As in your post) Should you be able to still claim the calendar event portion of an ECE ride if you don't complete the tail ECE leg and haven't notified Martin that you're not doing the ECE portion (before starting the calendar ride)?

I think this was discussed quite well before we got on to the other herrings.

There are 3 main opinions/solutions:-
a) Consider it a perk of attempting an ECE (rather than doing your own DIY or driving to/from the event) and AUK/members continue to ignore the fact it doesn't quite sit perfectly within the existing regs or interpretations of Audax
b) Consider it a perk as above, but get the regulations amended to explicitly allow it
c) Explicitly prohibit it (and have the problem of how to police this and remove validation for the rider's calendar event)

And we had people here representing all 3 of these positions (including all 3 myself) and were getting to the "agree to disagree" stage (happy to be proven wrong). Without a formal vote on an amendment then nothing is going to change.

As I said before, I'm in a slightly odd position on this:
* I personally don't want there to be a vote on it, so on that I'm opinion (a) - however it's doomed to come up again and again
* I personally wouldn't want my own calendar ride to be validated if I DNFed the tail leg of an ECE (and I now regret the one time I have done this), so close to opinion (c) - but I know I could just contact the organiser and ask them to submit my card for validation without my AUK number against it so I don't get credited with it but the organiser still gets the correct finisher numbers - so I do have the option should this occur to me in the future
* If it did go to a vote I'd probably vote to explicitly allow it - opinion (b)

2) Should ECEs be allowed where they take a calendar event, treat it as a mandatory route and then add a mandatory route ECE leg less than (x00km) to make it up to the required nominal distance (e.g. 120+80 = 200)?

i.e. You take a 120km calendar event and add an 80km ECE leg on the end to make it up to 200km. You submit, to Martin, the entire 200km proposed route and he treats the whole thing like a mandatory route DIYxGPS.

As is now, if you end up submitting a GPX tracklog that says you've only covered 199km then there is no validation, regardless of the reason (road closure, forced detour, etc).

On the day if there is a diversion due to an unplanned road closure (or similar) and the rider is forced to ride a shorter route then they should be allowed to make up the distance by riding a bit more on their ECE. (As has been quoted before, Martin accepts this now.)

If, on the day, the rider goes off route (i.e. misses a turn) and so does not follow the exact route they submitted, but it doesn't materially affect the minimum distance covered, then they should continue to be validated (within reason). This is in line with the current DIYxGPS mandatory route regs; deviation from the route does not imply automatic non-validation, it is assessed on its merits and a decision arrived at.

Personally I don't have a problem with this, it seems a perfect example of the "state in advance, do it, submit proof" part of Audax. I don't care that the ECE leg was only 80km and not 100km+. If the appears clunkily in the results pages of on the AUK site then this can be fixed at some point. My test would be that if you'd submitted the same route as a mandatory route DIYxGPS and did it on a day when the calendar event wasn't running you'd get 2 points for it.

Note that if the rider gives up on the tail ECE leg then we're back to question 1 and should the calendar event validation stand. That's no different in this scenario.

3) Should you be able to treat the calendar portion of an ECE as an advisory route, commit to riding at least x km on it such that a subsequent mandatory route ECE leg takes it up to the required nominal distance you want to claim?

e.g. Enter a 120km calendar event and a 90km mandatory route ECE leg. You therefore commit to riding at least 110km on the calendar event so that the total ride is at least 200km.

The ride is validated as a whole tracklog just as before, the ECE leg needs to match what was submitted and not contain any unauthorised extra distance, and the whole ride needs to be at least the distance that is being claimed.

As noted, this is open to some slight gamesmanship. A rider may notice (a few miles out from the arrivee) that they're going to come in slightly under their proposed distance for the calendar event (lets say 108km instead of the 110km committed) they could, given the 'free route between controls' aspect, accidentally take a wrong turn and add an extra 2km by going off route before arriving at the calendar event finish with 110km in the tracklog.

Is this any different to choosing a slightly different route between the controls at 30km and 60km? Not really.

The rider, faced with a 2km shortfall, could also do laps of a village or hill repeats. Is this ok? Personally I'd say no, rides shouldn't unnecessarily reuse bits of road. As I said before I'd suggest that a rider should get away with this once and be warned that they need to pay more attention (or plan better), or future similar incidents will result in non-validation.

What could the rider legitimately do if they notice this close to (or even at) the arrivee? The least unappealing option would be to add extra distance by minimising unnecessary reuse of roads but there are going to be situations where this is tricky (imagine the arrivee being on a road with no other roads for 5km and you've already ridden the road either side of the arrivee.) I think "don't take the piss" applies mostly.

Another way of phrasing this is whether ECEing a calendar event forces the ECE portion to be mandatory route (such as in #2 above) or whether you retain that little bit of freedom and slightly less strict "state what you are going to do in advance".

My opinion is that it #3 should be allowed (although I'm wavering a little), again for the reason of promoting ECEs rather than "oh it's just easier to do my own DIY ride from my door on my own route rather than jump through hoops to ECE to a calendar event".

4) grahamparks' exception to this #3 above was that it is close to (paraphrasing) "here's a (non-mandatory route) DIY with a bunch of controls with MDBC of 285km but I will use free route between those controls to submit a tracklog that will be at least 300km long, if I ride less than 300km then I agree that the ride is not validated, it's 3 points or nothing, if I ride 402km I still only get 3 points".

It's an interesting concept and I can see the logic behind the comparison with #3 but, for me, it not quite analogous and comes down to the extra leeway that using/extending calendar events should be given in order to entice more people to ride to/from calendar events.

(To be clear, submitting a tracklog for such a ride showing a ride of 299km would get 0 points and the time limit would also be based on the nominal 285km, not the eventual distance ridden.)

I actually like the idea, but I'm not sure Audax UK (or the majority of its membership) would feel the same. Maybe in a few years it might be worth floating such an idea again.

--

I hope that's a fair and balanced portrayal of the various discussion points. Have I missed anything?

[ Maybe these need splitting up into 4 different threads. ]
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #427 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:00:20 pm »
I'm going to start reading 'War and Peace' again, it has to be less obfuscating that some of these posts, but I am curious as to the number of AUK members who actually ride ECE"s, anyone know?

« Reply #428 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:07:55 pm »
I'm going to start reading 'War and Peace' again, it has to be less obfuscating that some of these posts, but I am curious as to the number of AUK members who actually ride ECE"s, anyone know?

The results pages know...

http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/events/?Type=Permanent&Combined=false

Search for "Extended" in the page.

The numbers of riders on the right hand side aren't correct, you need to click on each type individually to see all of the entries:-

Randonee + 100km : http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=ECER01 = 123
Randonee + 200km : http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=ECER02 = 34
Randonee + 400km : http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=ECER04 = 8
100km + 100km : http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listevent/?Ride=ECE01 = 245

Note that "Randonee" is most likely a 200km ride, but could be any randonee (300, 400, 600, etc).

Note that these are the numbers of total ECE rides for the 2017 season, not the number of individual riders, many individuals did multiple ECEs.

(Note it's also slightly incorrect as the rides that are listed as provisional are, mostly, actually from this season not last season...)

« Reply #429 on: 02 November, 2017, 03:41:08 pm »
Okay, got that (sort of).

Anyway, as I read the posts I get it that if anyone wants to ride an ECE they have to contact the coordinator first, is that true? If so, seems an awful lot of work for one person given the numbers of riders doing them as quoted above.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #430 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:00:03 pm »
As is now, if you end up submitting a GPX tracklog that says you've only covered 199km then there is no validation, ...
and
(To be clear, submitting a tracklog for such a ride showing a ride of 299km would get 0 points ...

You say 'as is now' and I take your word for it, but is it really reasonable to withold validation for a variance of 0.5% or less, when that could simply be a measurement error.  In fact, since distances are rounded, in the latter example the error could be as little as 0.2% (measured 299.4km).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #431 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:13:04 pm »
I ride more audaxes than any of you, especially I ride more calendar events in more diverse places than any of you.... 

Criticise that...   :P

I ride calendar events in many more diverse places than you. Not commenting regarding the rest of your remarks.

Indeed you have Dave, by lots and lots, and you’re one of my heroes, and I voted for you on the board, and I didn’t think that you had contributed in this thread before, hence you weren’t considered by me to be “any of you” by which I was referring to topic contributors...

and you and Judith are still the only Audaxers who have ever offered to transport me to Audaxes abroad, and though I didn’t take you up on it, I was touched by that kind offer....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #432 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:29:09 pm »
"..and you and Judith are still the only Audaxers who have ever offered to transport me to Audaxes abroad, and though I didn’t take you up on it, I was touched by that kind offer...."

I am indeed envious of those who ride audaxes in Europe, having travelled extensively - but never cycled-  through Europe, it would be a marvelous way to spend a few years riding the rando rides over there.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #433 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:53:23 pm »
"..and you and Judith are still the only Audaxers who have ever offered to transport me to Audaxes abroad, and though I didn’t take you up on it, I was touched by that kind offer...."

I am indeed envious of those who ride audaxes in Europe, having travelled extensively - but never cycled-  through Europe, it would be a marvelous way to spend a few years riding the rando rides over there.

Here, Here. Foreign audaxes can be a great escape from the weather here in the UK.Just do it! It really isn't that expensive to fly by Ryanair (for example), or pre-book a ferry to the Continent, then  a few cheap rooms (if necessary) on booking.com (making sure you can easily cancel them for free), and enter the supported rides, which sometimes include food and beds. :thumbsup: There's usually someone to speak English, for those without knowledge of a particular language, or maybe seek out help at a tourist office. :)
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #434 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:53:46 pm »
<snip> and you’re one of my heroes <snip>

Oh, don't do that (I'd need to get a bigger cap/ helmet). I'm just a dilettante. There are plenty of proper hardriders out there and I'm not one of them.

Back to the thread topic perhaps?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #435 on: 02 November, 2017, 05:03:21 pm »

Not quite, and in the spirit of taking this discussion forward (or flogging a dead horse depending on ones interpretation) I believe there are 3 (or 4...) different distinct discussions going on at the moment:-

1) (As in your post) Should you be able to still claim the calendar event portion of an ECE ride if you don't complete the tail ECE leg and haven't notified Martin that you're not doing the ECE portion (before starting the calendar ride)?

a) Consider it a perk of attempting an ECE (rather than doing your own DIY or driving to/from the event) and AUK/members continue to ignore the fact it doesn't quite sit perfectly within the existing regs or interpretations of Audax
b) Consider it a perk as above, but get the regulations amended to explicitly allow it
c) Explicitly prohibit it (and have the problem of how to police this and remove validation for the rider's calendar event)

And we had people here representing all 3 of these positions (including all 3 myself) and were getting to the "agree to disagree" stage (happy to be proven wrong). Without a formal vote on an amendment then nothing is going to change.

* I personally don't want there to be a vote on it, so on that I'm opinion (a) - however it's doomed to come up again and again
* I personally wouldn't want my own calendar ride to be validated if I DNFed the tail leg of an ECE (and I now regret the one time I have done this), so close to opinion (c) - but I know I could just contact the organiser and ask them to submit my card for validation without my AUK number against it so I don't get credited with it but the organiser still gets the correct finisher numbers - so I do have the option should this occur to me in the future

It’s been formally stated before in this thread that although there are two entries on the riders results sheets, it is still considered as just one ride.  So in line with the normal Audax principle that you a) state in advance what you’re going to do, b) do it, and then c) prove you’ve done it, the rider has entered a single ride of the total distance, so if they don’t do the ECE apart and the calendar part, they get no points for either bit ....

2) Should ECEs be allowed where they take a calendar event, treat it as a mandatory route and then add a mandatory route ECE leg less than (x00km) to make it up to the required nominal distance (e.g. 120+80 = 200)?

i.e. You take a 120km calendar event and add an 80km ECE leg on the end to make it up to 200km. You submit, to Martin, the entire 200km proposed route and he treats the whole thing like a mandatory route DIYxGPS.

If you do this then as it is one ride it must ALL be considered as a DIYxGPS, borrowing part of its route from a similar but unrelated calendar event on the day, and thus none of the points would be ‘countable’.  There would be no need to enter the actual calendar event, and no need for a Brevet card, nor indeed a need to visit the controls / queue at busy cafes etc...  Of course you’d get none of any possible free food and drink, and the Calendar organiser would be losing out, which would be a big negative.  It wouldn’t then be an ECE either, so just be entered with your normal regional DIY organiser.

As is now, if you end up submitting a GPX tracklog that says you've only covered 199km then there is no validation, regardless of the reason (road closure, forced detour, etc).

On the day if there is a diversion due to an unplanned road closure (or similar) and the rider is forced to ride a shorter route then they should be allowed to make up the distance by riding a bit more on their ECE. (As has been quoted before, Martin accepts this now.)

If, on the day, the rider goes off route (i.e. misses a turn) and so does not follow the exact route they submitted, but it doesn't materially affect the minimum distance covered, then they should continue to be validated (within reason). This is in line with the current DIYxGPS mandatory route regs; deviation from the route does not imply automatic non-validation, it is assessed on its merits and a decision arrived at.

Personally I don't have a problem with this, it seems a perfect example of the "state in advance, do it, submit proof" part of Audax. I don't care that the ECE leg was only 80km and not 100km+. If the appears clunkily in the results pages of on the AUK site then this can be fixed at some point. My test would be that if you'd submitted the same route as a mandatory route DIYxGPS and did it on a day when the calendar event wasn't running you'd get 2 points for it.

Note that if the rider gives up on the tail ECE leg then we're back to question 1 and should the calendar event validation stand. That's no different in this scenario.

3) Should you be able to treat the calendar portion of an ECE as an advisory route, commit to riding at least x km on it such that a subsequent mandatory route ECE leg takes it up to the required nominal distance you want to claim?

e.g. Enter a 120km calendar event and a 90km mandatory route ECE leg. You therefore commit to riding at least 110km on the calendar event so that the total ride is at least 200km.

The ride is validated as a whole tracklog just as before, the ECE leg needs to match what was submitted and not contain any unauthorised extra distance, and the whole ride needs to be at least the distance that is being claimed.

As noted, this is open to some slight gamesmanship. A rider may notice (a few miles out from the arrivee) that they're going to come in slightly under their proposed distance for the calendar event (lets say 108km instead of the 110km committed) they could, given the 'free route between controls' aspect, accidentally take a wrong turn and add an extra 2km by going off route before arriving at the calendar event finish with 110km in the tracklog.

Is this any different to choosing a slightly different route between the controls at 30km and 60km? Not really.

The rider, faced with a 2km shortfall, could also do laps of a village or hill repeats. Is this ok? Personally I'd say no, rides shouldn't unnecessarily reuse bits of road. As I said before I'd suggest that a rider should get away with this once and be warned that they need to pay more attention (or plan better), or future similar incidents will result in non-validation.

What could the rider legitimately do if they notice this close to (or even at) the arrivee? The least unappealing option would be to add extra distance by minimising unnecessary reuse of roads but there are going to be situations where this is tricky (imagine the arrivee being on a road with no other roads for 5km and you've already ridden the road either side of the arrivee.) I think "don't take the piss" applies mostly.

Another way of phrasing this is whether ECEing a calendar event forces the ECE portion to be mandatory route (such as in #2 above) or whether you retain that little bit of freedom and slightly less strict "state what you are going to do in advance".

My opinion is that it #3 should be allowed (although I'm wavering a little), again for the reason of promoting ECEs rather than "oh it's just easier to do my own DIY ride from my door on my own route rather than jump through hoops to ECE to a calendar event".

4) grahamparks' exception to this #3 above was that it is close to (paraphrasing) "here's a (non-mandatory route) DIY with a bunch of controls with MDBC of 285km but I will use free route between those controls to submit a tracklog that will be at least 300km long, if I ride less than 300km then I agree that the ride is not validated, it's 3 points or nothing, if I ride 402km I still only get 3 points".

It's an interesting concept and I can see the logic behind the comparison with #3 but, for me, it not quite analogous and comes down to the extra leeway that using/extending calendar events should be given in order to entice more people to ride to/from calendar events.

(To be clear, submitting a tracklog for such a ride showing a ride of 299km would get 0 points and the time limit would also be based on the nominal 285km, not the eventual distance ridden.)

I actually like the idea, but I'm not sure Audax UK (or the majority of its membership) would feel the same. Maybe in a few years it might be worth floating such an idea again.

--

I hope that's a fair and balanced portrayal of the various discussion points. Have I missed anything?

I have added comments in Blue above, and find this a good overall summary, and I have just the one following additional point to add...

For various reasons we have a rule restricting the countable points from DIYs to the total points a rider has achieved in calendar events. (Often called the 50% rule)   It may discourage cheating, by making riders abilities obvious to other riders when they ride calendars together. It may also encourage riders to visit a wider range of events, further afield, and to meet more fellow AUK members. It should also assist in keeping calendar events viable, by boosting entries.

If we allow ECEs to morph into single rides entered via a diy system, and validate by a gps system, they should be counted fully as DIYs, and be not countable...

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #436 on: 02 November, 2017, 05:20:40 pm »
This thread has gone a bit off course in recent days.

I found it a brilliant resource when starting out and learning about this audax lark. I'm amazed and disappointed there is so much nit-picking about regs for points riding our bikes for a hobby within a non-competitive structure. In my view, Martin does a great job encouraging us to ride further and in innovating to try new and helpful ideas. Even something as apparently simple as adding the 'ECE entry' button on a calendar event webpage takes foresight, time and effort to implement by volunteers with lives outside of YACF and with hundreds of rides to administer each year... so that we can ride our bikes for for a hobby. As a rider of ECEs, this little button makes the entry process a lot easier and so encourages me to ride further or to leave the car at home.

Anyway, Martin, thank you very much for all your hard work. I really appreciate it. Please don't stop innovating.

Martin

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #437 on: 02 November, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »

It’s been formally stated before in this thread that although there are two entries on the riders results sheets, it is still considered as just one ride.  So in line with the normal Audax principle that you a) state in advance what you’re going to do, b) do it, and then c) prove you’ve done it, the rider has entered a single ride of the total distance, so if they don’t do the ECE apart and the calendar part, they get no points for either bit ....

If you do this then as it is one ride it must ALL be considered as a DIYxGPS, borrowing part of its route from a similar but unrelated calendar event on the day, and thus none of the points would be ‘countable’.  There would be no need to enter the actual calendar event, and no need for a Brevet card, nor indeed a need to visit the controls / queue at busy cafes etc...  Of course you’d get none of any possible free food and drink, and the Calendar organiser would be losing out, which would be a big negative.  It wouldn’t then be an ECE either, so just be entered with your normal regional DIY organiser.

--

I have added comments in Blue above, and find this a good overall summary, and I have just the one following additional point to add...

For various reasons we have a rule restricting the countable points from DIYs to the total points a rider has achieved in calendar events. (Often called the 50% rule)   It may discourage cheating, by making riders abilities obvious to other riders when they ride calendars together. It may also encourage riders to visit a wider range of events, further afield, and to meet more fellow AUK members. It should also assist in keeping calendar events viable, by boosting entries.

If we allow ECEs to morph into single rides entered via a diy system, and validate by a gps system, they should be counted fully as DIYs, and be not countable...

Well they all count, the question is how... At first guess I 'd assume the Cal bit counts as a Cal and the ECE bit as an Perm making them a bit neutral regarding the 50% rule , but I dont know if AUK systems are that sophisticated. Something to talk about at the Reunion!

But for the record, the 50% rule applies to all PERMs for the overal points competition only. Aside from that there are no restrictions on how points from Perms, DIYs, ECE are used.

I think this may well be my longest post with quotes. :)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #438 on: 03 November, 2017, 08:58:42 am »
It's confusing because AUK's regulation regarding ECEs describes an ECE as a type of DIY, having already defined a DIY as a type of Permanent.  The various pages of advice around ECEs are also grouped with DIYs in the sidebar, because there are several similarities.
All this is quite wrong in my view - each ECE has a defined date, start time and location, finish time and location, and it does not exist outside of those limits - this makes it 'a type of Event', not 'a type of Permanent'.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

« Reply #439 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:07:05 am »
It's confusing because AUK's regulation regarding ECEs describes an ECE as a type of DIY, having already defined a DIY as a type of Permanent.  The various pages of advice around ECEs are also grouped with DIYs in the sidebar, because there are several similarities.
All this is quite wrong in my view - each ECE has a defined date, start time and location, finish time and location, and it does not exist outside of those limits - this makes it 'a type of Event', not 'a type of Permanent'.

That makes sense, the definition of a perm being that it can happen at any time which an ECE obviously cannot.

So confusion arises because whilst they are an (Extended) Calendar Event (clue in the title) they are administered as though they are Perms.

« Reply #440 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
As is now, if you end up submitting a GPX tracklog that says you've only covered 199km then there is no validation, ...
and
(To be clear, submitting a tracklog for such a ride showing a ride of 299km would get 0 points ...

You say 'as is now' and I take your word for it, but is it really reasonable to withold validation for a variance of 0.5% or less, when that could simply be a measurement error.  In fact, since distances are rounded, in the latter example the error could be as little as 0.2% (measured 299.4km).

I meant it should be in line with whatever the existing tolerance applied to DIYxGPS is.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #441 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:40:41 am »
From the FAQs on AUKweb.net

Do Permanent rides count towards Awards and Championships?
Yes. The only proviso is, in the case of Championships, you cannot gain more points in Permanents than in Calendared Events.
So, if you gained 55 points in Permanents and 45 in Events, you would achieve the Randonneur 10000 award (100 points) but in Championship terms you would only have 90 points.

From regulations on AUKweb.net

13.1.1 For the individual uncategorised points trophies listed  listed on the AUK website, the number of points gained from permanent events must not exceed the number of points gained in calendar events."

From AUKweb.net

A list of Championship trophies which I have had edited to remove team trophies and distance trophies, just leaving individual points based ones...    (I’m not really sure about Tandems, so left them in, just in case.)

Are these the above mentioned individual uncategorised points trophies ?

Jock Wadley Cup: For the individual gaining the most points in a season.
Jo Brunton Cup: For the runner-up to the Jock Wadley Cup who is of the opposite sex to the winner.
Veterans’ Cups: For the individual gaining the most points in a season who is aged 55 or over on the first day of the current season, and the runner-up who is of opposite sex.
BCF and 1995 PBP Trophies: For the individual gaining the most points in a season who is aged under 18 on the last day of the current season and the runner-up who is of opposite sex.
Tandem Trophy: For the tandem couple gaining the most points in a season.
Fliss Beard Trophy: For the individual gaining the most points in a season on an upright tricycle (not recumbent).
AAA Trophies: For the individual gaining the most AAA points in a season and for the runner-up who is of the opposite sex.
The Recumbent Cup: For the individual gaining the most points in a season on a recumbent cycle.

I’m not sure exactly how the AAA awards are affected by the 50% rule, but as individual points based trophies, it would appear that they should be...

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #442 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:43:47 am »
Well they all count, the question is how... At first guess I 'd assume the Cal bit counts as a Cal and the ECE bit as an Perm making them a bit neutral regarding the 50% rule , but I dont know if AUK systems are that sophisticated. Something to talk about at the Reunion!

A quick look at someone's results from last year (picking someone at random who had done an ECE and not hundreds of rides: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listride/?Rider=6662) and he has done 7 rides, one of which was a 100km ECE, the rest calendar events with the points listed as "32 (1 in perms)".

So the AUK website does count the Cal bit as a Cal and the ECE bit as a Perm.

I'd personally be all for counting the ECE portions of a ride as a calendar ride in terms of the 50% rule.

hillbilly

« Reply #443 on: 03 November, 2017, 09:59:07 am »
I’m not sure exactly how the AAA awards are affected by the 50% rule, but as individual points based trophies, it would appear that they should be...

The introduction to 13.1 is somewhat clear that points in this case relate to distance points.  So it is only those trophies that are based on distance points that are subject to this restriction (unless the AAA man imposes a 50% rule outside of the regulations, but this has never been the case in the past).

hillbilly

« Reply #444 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:01:54 am »
I'd personally be all for counting the ECE portions of a ride as a calendar ride in terms of the 50% rule.

Seems logical to me.

I love speaking about arcane audax regulations.  It makes my (spoke) nipples hard  :demon:

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #445 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:02:03 am »

A quick look at someone's results from last year (picking someone at random who had done an ECE and not hundreds of rides: http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2017/listride/?Rider=6662) and he has done 7 rides, one of which was a 100km ECE, the rest calendar events with the points listed as "32 (1 in perms)".

So the AUK website does count the Cal bit as a Cal and the ECE bit as a Perm.

This would be detrimental to calendar events from my perspective, yet the 50% rule is also aimed at increasing participation in calendar events, but if we included ECEs I’d do less, using the following method....

I’d enter a calendar each weekend and extend it to 700 to get 13.3 minimum speed, and I can ride 700s without sleep, and I’d collect zillions of  “calendar points”, and then I could match them up with zillions of mandatory DIYxGPS rides, in which I could noodle around..     nobody with any sort of job would get near....

In previous years I’d have entered TWO calendar events each weekend....

As an afterthought I’d also only need to enter the nearest 50 km calendar to me...  (I’d hate doing that, but once you open the floodgates...)

Cycling heatmap

Manotea

« Reply #446 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:18:29 am »

The introduction to 13.1 is somewhat clear that points in this case relate to distance points.  So it is only those trophies that are based on distance points that are subject to this restriction (unless the AAA man imposes a 50% rule outside of the regulations, but this has never been the case in the past).

13.1.1 For the individual uncategorised points[1] trophies [2] listed  listed on the AUK website, the number of points gained from permanent events must not exceed the number of points gained in calendar events."

[1] uncategorised points trophies = overall points trophies, i.e., not categorised as being awarded for riding an event of a specific type or type of bike.
[2] trophies, because there are two of them (the, er, trophy awardee and opposite sex).

« Reply #447 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:24:46 am »
I meant it should be in line with whatever the existing tolerance applied to DIYxGPS is.

It shouldn't ever happen because either the MDBC or the calculated distance of the mandatory route positively establish that the route can't be ridden in a shorter distance before the ride begins. So the length of the submitted track is immaterial, all it has to do is hit the controls or follow the whole of the mandatory route, and you're done.

Whereas this system (#3) depends on the advertised distance being correct, which no party (cal organiser, rider, ECE organiser) apparently has an obligation to check beforehand.

(or if you do require the rider to plot out the route to check its distance, and you are requiring them to pledge to follow the route sheet route, haven't you created system #2 in everything but name?)

« Reply #448 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:38:55 am »
Forgive the partial quoting...

If you do this then as it is one ride it must ALL be considered as a DIYxGPS, borrowing part of its route from a similar but unrelated calendar event on the day, and thus none of the points would be ‘countable’.

One of the key tenets of the ECE system was that it preserved the calendar validation for a ride so that the calendar event was not robbed of participants/finishers.

At the moment the way things appear on the AUK results pages is simply how the concept of ECE rides were shoehorned into the existing results system IT structure. Fundamentally the rider must be shown as having done the calendar ride in order to accurately reflect how many people rode the calendar event and with this in mind I'm sure the AUK team already have ideas how it could be displayed to make it more obvious if only they had copious free time in order to implement such things. My suggestion would be to blank out the points for the calendar event and put the total points for the ride against the Extended Calendar Event entry, i.e.

Right now it looks kind of like this:-

EventDatePoints
Chalfont St Peter, 40729 Apr4
Wimbledon Common 2054 Jun2
Extended Calendar Event - Randonnee + 100km" "1
LOUGHTON, Essex 141530 Jul14

I think it could look better as:-

EventDatePoints
Wimbledon Common 2054 Jun
Extended Calendar Event - Randonnee to 300km" "3

Or even:-

EventDatePoints
Wimbledon Common 205 ECE to 300km4 Jun3

And this way a 150+50 or 120+80 can be shown to be 2 points without being unnecessarily specific about the distance added on or how it was achieved:-

EventDatePoints
Foo Ride 1203 Jun
Extended Calendar Event - Populaire to 200km" "2

or:-

EventDatePoints
Foo Ride 120 ECE to 200km3 Jun2

But that's just a simple change (visually, maybe not in terms of backend coding!). If these pages are going to undergo a significant overhaul then it opens up a whole world of possibilities of redesign.

There would be no need to enter the actual calendar event, and no need for a Brevet card, nor indeed a need to visit the controls / queue at busy cafes etc...  Of course you’d get none of any possible free food and drink, and the Calendar organiser would be losing out, which would be a big negative.  It wouldn’t then be an ECE either, so just be entered with your normal regional DIY organiser.

The goal is to encourage participation and validated completion of calendar rides. The above goes the completely opposite direction. It would, however, mean that not completing the tail leg of an ECE would mean no points at all for the ride (as some believe should be the case) but that's a very big ugly hammer to crack that small nut which, if really deemed to be a problem, could be solved in a bunch of different ways that didn't inflict such collateral damage.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #449 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:39:33 am »

13.1.1 For the individual uncategorised points[1] trophies [2] listed  listed on the AUK website, the number of points gained from permanent events must not exceed the number of points gained in calendar events."

[1] uncategorised points trophies = overall points trophies, i.e., not categorised as being awarded for riding an event of a specific type or type of bike.
[2] trophies, because there are two of them (the, er, trophy awardee and opposite sex).

Thanks Paul.....

So the BIG question...

Why would it be necessary to have a rule to attempt to avoid cheating and encourage participation in Calendar events, and only apply it to two trophies (plus their oppo sex version), i.e. a rule for a tiny group of members, out of 7,000, if you then do totally the opposite for tandem, tricycle, recumbent, fixed wheel and AAA trophies, where someone could entirely ride DIYxGPS or receipt perms, and never be seen by another AUK member, and never visit a calendar control, and thus could have driven round, drunk coffee and obtained receipts, or indeed ridden a moped at cycle speeds ?? 

Cycling heatmap