Author Topic: The pet-specific bad news thread  (Read 95942 times)

Re: The pet-specific bad news thread
« Reply #25 on: 13 August, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »
So sorry to hear this, Helen. I really felt like I knew Lucy from all your posts and photos on here. RIP.

« Reply #26 on: 13 August, 2011, 04:22:53 pm »
Aw, sorry to hear it. Still, she'll have had a grand life with you.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #27 on: 13 August, 2011, 09:55:24 pm »
That's very sad, Auntie Helen.  I hope you are ok.

« Reply #28 on: 14 August, 2011, 11:20:36 am »
Jake has been back to the vet today (following the car incident in the rant thread). The vet suspects his hip may be broken, and is doing an x-ray today. Will ring us back later today with the results, but will only give a 50/50 chance at this point for fixing it. I feel sick to my stomach at the idea of losing him.

EDIT: He has a badly dislocated hip. Vet has said he could pop it back in, but it would only come out again, so he's having surgery tomorrow (an arthroplasty), and with any luck we should have him back tomorrow evening. He's keeping him topped up with ketamine so he's not in any pain, poor little bugger. He should pull through and be just fine, though (albeit with a limp).

EDIT: He came through surgery just fine, and we get to pick up up this evening!

« Reply #29 on: 16 August, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »
EDIT: He came through surgery just fine, and we get to pick up up this evening!

Yay! :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2011, 05:26:25 am »
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy Helen :( x
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: 11 September, 2011, 07:37:57 pm »
RIP Chorlton. Someone brought his body to my brothers' door after an altercation with a car. Poor little soft ginger daft sausage.  :'(

chorlton01 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

border-rider

« Reply #32 on: 11 September, 2011, 07:47:46 pm »
Oh No !

he looks just like our Tambert.  he's daft as a brush too

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #33 on: 11 September, 2011, 08:40:03 pm »
Ohno poor Chorlton he looks a lot like my mum's now died of old age silly cat Brian!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 20 September, 2011, 10:23:23 pm »
Oh fuck. Pippin's been looking sorry for herself all night and has just deposited what I think is a load of bloody liquid poo in the pit.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #35 on: 21 September, 2011, 12:25:45 pm »
Pippin went to the vet this morning &, after a lot of prodding, poking & squeezing of her abdomen, it has been decided to treat her for gastroenteritus in the first instance. She got 4 injections, a packet of magic powder and a lot of petting (and a kiss  ::-) ) & compliments from the rather gushy vet. She goes back on Friday for a follow-up exam.

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 21 September, 2011, 04:14:23 pm »
Old bad news, with happy outcome

On Friday we were just heading out of the door to drive to Manchester to collect my mother, and then on to North Wales for a wedding, when Tam came in with his eye all closed up and swollen. A quick trip to the vet resulted in a diagnosis of him having scraped pretty-much the whole surface of the cornea on a stone or somesuch, and needing 2 types of eyedrops every 6 hours.

Bugger.  Couldn't miss the wedding, but the vet managed to find a cattery near us who could take him at zero notice and were happy to do the medicines, so off he went for his first ever weekend alone (his sister stayed home)

Fast-forward to Monday and he was all mended, if a bit sad.

He's still on the drops, but he's such a pliant and amiable animal that he doesn't seem to mind; even the cattery woman said he was particularly gentle and soft :)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 21 September, 2011, 04:54:42 pm »
Pippin went to the vet this morning &, after a lot of prodding, poking & squeezing of her abdomen, it has been decided to treat her for gastroenteritus in the first instance. She got 4 injections, a packet of magic powder and a lot of petting (and a kiss  ::-) ) & compliments from the rather gushy vet. She goes back on Friday for a follow-up exam.
One of my parents' dogs had it and shat blood all over the driveway  :sick:

With emergency treatment, he made a full recovery and lived another 10 years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #38 on: 22 September, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »
Well, she's looking a lot better but we don't think she's eaten yet, and she's dropped from 4.0kg to 3.4kg.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 23 September, 2011, 08:32:59 pm »
Can we have fingers crossed for Pippin now please?
Vet could feel a 'mass' tonight. White blood cell counts are all over the place. Could be bacterial (and the lump is a lymph node), but also could be more sinister. She's still not eating much so she got more jabs and special convalescent food to help if it's bacterial.
She has the weekend to get better or the vet thinks we should investigate the mass further.

OTOH Mojo is off his food and has been hiding in the wardrobe all day, so I'm hoping it's all bacterial.

border-rider

« Reply #40 on: 23 September, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »
20 fingers & 8 paws crossed here for little Pippin. 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 19 November, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »
Took Pippin to the vet last night to get her the Good Drugs for her arthritis, only to find her blood glucose was sky high. So yet another urine test to confirm, but she may have diabetes to contend with too :(. Here's hoping not though.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 18 February, 2012, 06:14:26 pm »
RIP Chorlton. Someone brought his body to my brothers' door after an altercation with a car. Poor little soft ginger daft sausage.  :'(

chorlton01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

And now his replacement, Boris has gone the same way, poor bruv's not having much luck... ;(

barakta

« Reply #43 on: 18 February, 2012, 06:46:47 pm »
Mrspingu: Ohno!  That's so sad.

« Reply #44 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:04:01 pm »
That is rather rotten. :(

Over the years my parents cats, my siblings cats, and my cats, all seem to have been remarkably lucky.  The only incident I can think of, was with the cat my parents had when I was young, Tiger, a big ginger tom.  At some point he was probably hit by a car, my Mother thought it was likely he was hit on Calthorpe Road (for those who know Exeter).  He dragged himself home with a broken rear leg, and had to be taken to the vets asap.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 18 February, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »
It is rather unfortunate. He's lived there ~10 yrs and had no problems until September :(. I suspect if he can bear to get any more kittehs they will be house cats. He did think about it with Boris but I think he felt a bit cruel being as Jock was able to come & go.

« Reply #46 on: 10 May, 2012, 05:26:38 am »
Went to feed Misty Greyhound last night and she had quietly died.  She was 14 (which is very old for a greyhound) and had been ailing for some time.  We were working up to making the hard decision and she saved us that.  RIP Misty.

ETA The other two dogs have been very clingy all day.  Last night, Blue, the other greyhound, started howling for no apparent reason ( he was on the other verandah to Misty and so couldn't have seen her ).  I wonder if that was the time she died.

A few pictures of Misty from Christmas.

@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

barakta

« Reply #47 on: 10 May, 2012, 09:53:38 am »
Sorry for your loss SandyV, I guess like you say it saved you a decision but is still very sad.

« Reply #48 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:07:25 am »
Very sorry for your loss, though it sounds like at least she went peacefully.  Always so sad to lose a furry member of the family!

Hugs!

« Reply #49 on: 10 May, 2012, 10:30:27 am »
Very sorry for your loss, though it sounds like at least she went peacefully.  Always so sad to lose a furry member of the family!

Hugs!

Yes I think it was peaceful.  She was such a lovely, affectionate dog.  It just seems wrong that she's not around ( although given the obvious struggle she was having walking I suppose it is for the best)
@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1