Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 254294 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #1675 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:09:19 pm »
I'm sorry, I just think it's wrong.
Found innocent, forever guilty?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1676 on: 17 August, 2018, 07:12:43 pm »
Cipriani pleaded guilty.

Maybe the plan is to win the 3rd Test then let the youngsters run riot for the 4th and 5th.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1677 on: 17 August, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
No.

Edit:  This was in response to Mattc's post, not Jaded's.

« Reply #1678 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:18:54 am »
I'm sorry, I just think it's wrong.
Found innocent, forever guilty?

Found innocent of affray.

Incontrovertibly guilty of getting in a fight and laying a couple of people out.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1679 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:20:33 pm »
No.

Edit:  This was in response to Mattc's post, not Jaded's.

Ah! That makes more sense!!  ;D

« Reply #1680 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:32:44 pm »
Yes, that's what I thought - sorry!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1681 on: 18 August, 2018, 01:20:39 pm »
I was out until 12:30. I thought that there can’t be any play today because I’d had no wicket notifications. That’s been remedied now!

« Reply #1682 on: 18 August, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »
Cricket World Cup 2019 ticket ballot is open until 29th August:-

https://tickets.cricketworldcup.com/accountRegister.html

Going in for the opening England game against SA at the Oval, the Final (why not) and two cheap weekend matches at the Oval (SA v Bangladesh and Sri Lanka v Australia).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1683 on: 18 August, 2018, 04:34:11 pm »
Yes, I'm in for Final tickets too.

I already have England vs Bangladesh at Cardiff and Pakistan vs Sri Lanka at Bristol. Looking forward to it!

« Reply #1684 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:11:11 pm »
Interesting Times article (behind the paywall - I registered for the two free articles/wk)

Good Test-match opening batsmen hard to find for all teams, not just England

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/good-openers-hard-to-find-for-all-sides-not-just-england-7h833tfxf

... Only Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes (6,482) and Justin Langer and Matthew Hayden (5,655) scored more runs than Cook and Strauss’s 4,711, even if their average of 40.96 is some way down the list behind the top mark of 87.81 averaged by Jack Hobbs and Herbert Sutcliffe.

That Cook is now battling so much is instructive. It may just be that he is gently sliding down the other side of his career mountain and the end is nigh or that opening in Tests is harder because of the conditions — or a combination of both. ...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1685 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:49:34 pm »
Vince into the squad for the 4th test, no other changes.

« Reply #1686 on: 30 August, 2018, 02:39:31 pm »
ooops.  86-6

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #1687 on: 30 August, 2018, 03:46:02 pm »
It must be raining in Southampton.

There haven’t been any wickets for a while...

« Reply #1688 on: 30 August, 2018, 04:35:02 pm »
Go Mo.

edit.  Oh no.

« Reply #1689 on: 30 August, 2018, 08:48:34 pm »
Hmm.  Sam Curran, our No. 8, currently has a test batting average of about 45.  It's early days but that's only about 5 less than our Currant (geddit?) pretty-well non-playing captain. 

« Reply #1690 on: 31 August, 2018, 07:59:49 am »
lots of discussion about new batsman in the TMS box these days - mainly alone the lines of 'where are they?'
Garry Broad

« Reply #1691 on: 31 August, 2018, 10:42:02 am »
My preferred batting order at the moment would be:

Opener 1 (Cook but not for much longer unless he finds form again)
Opener 2 (Haven't a clue Jennings isn't coping but then no one has since Strauss) preferably a right hander
No. 3 M Ali (this is where he bats in county cricket)
No. 4 J Root (his obviously best batting position)
No. 5 J Bairstow (preferably without the gloves if he is to bat in the top 5)
No. 6 B Stokes
No. 7 Buttler
No. 8 S Curran
No. 9 Rashid
No. 10 S Broad
No. 11 J Anderson

At the moment I am unsure how Ali will do at 3 in Test but he is familiar with the position and Root can only bat there if you can be certain that the openers will bat the first 10-15 overs which at the moment they can't. The problem is that we can't find two openers who can reliably score an opening 50 partnership.

« Reply #1692 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:04:46 pm »
The real problem is that we can't find 11 players who can be relied on to do anything much, with the possible exception of Curran, with bat and ball.  The crisis is far deeper than what order in which to play these very average players, I think.  But cricket is a wonderful game and this same team may suddenly become world-beaters - and they may not.  Jennings bowling first change, for Heaven's sake!  Even if he sneaks a wicket, it's desperate.

I don't like the central contract system.  Time was they picked the eleven who were in the best county form and made one of them captain.  Nowadays, you stay in the team even when you are well out of form.  Vince is in great form.  They pick him - then leave him out.  Has he become injured, or doesn't he drink as well as the others?

Peter

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1693 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:55:11 pm »
Didn't they always pick the captain first and he had a seat at the selectors' table?

My recollection tells me it's the Aussie way to pick the best players and then make one of them captain (ie unsporting ;) )

See also: They argue with umpires, they cheer when they've won, and they practise beforehand, which spoils the fun...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1694 on: 31 August, 2018, 02:05:08 pm »
I think you're right about the captain at the selectors' table - bet he had to buy his own meal!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1695 on: 31 August, 2018, 02:56:27 pm »
I'm not really interested enough these days but I've always found it strange that 'the team' can have a scenario where they just have to stay 'in' all day to achieve a draw (ie not lose)  OR they've got the thick end of two days to bat out to not lose and a win is possible if they can make the runs.

Due to the players being raised on limited over matches they will of course collapse spectacularly in about 5 overs. I can't think of any other reason.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #1696 on: 31 August, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »
The conundrum is in the fact that allt countries play limited overs cricket, yet many still manage to beat England in Test Matches!

« Reply #1697 on: 02 September, 2018, 03:09:06 pm »
My preferred batting order at the moment would be:

Opener 1 (Cook but not for much longer unless he finds form again)

Agreed, even Gooch is saying AC is 'flat-lining'.   Looks like he may go after the Oval, but some say should be before.  He's only 33, so perhaps just a break; though he'd need to be 'pushed', before he felt he had to retire...

edit. though, England aren't doing too badly... 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1698 on: 02 September, 2018, 06:16:48 pm »
Gooch never really became a "world great" until late in his career. His average was, well, average until he blossomed in his late 30s. His 20 test centuries consisted of 8 in his first 8 years, and 12 in his last 4 years of playing for England. He was a month short of his 41st birthday when he scored his final test century - 210 v New Zealand. I'd argue that his finest was 154 not out v West Indies at Headingley when he carried his bat in one of the most extraordinary innings you are ever likely to see. He was 37 then, almost 38.

But well done to England: it's very hard to score 200 or more to win in the last innings.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1699 on: 02 September, 2018, 06:36:18 pm »
The conundrum is in the fact that allt countries play limited overs cricket, yet many still manage to beat England in Test Matches!
Apart from the No1 side in the world. We're doing alright against them - despite our inadequacies! :smug:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles