Author Topic: Genesis Day 01 Disc  (Read 45412 times)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
Genesis Day 01 Disc
« on: 02 February, 2012, 10:58:50 am »
I'm a big fan of the Genesis Day 01 in all its lovely orangey goodness, so when they brought out a disc-braked prototype (note to Rower40: BB7s  :D ) I was among those clamouring for them to put it into production.

Well, they have:

and so I just feel kinda, obliged, y'know...?  Even though it's in that unfortunate Pompino blue colour

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Genesis Day 01 Disc
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:03:01 am »
Oh, that's kinda ooh.
Getting there...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:47:26 am »
Oh, is Adrian getting a new pal then?

billplumtree

« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2012, 11:55:59 am »
Oh, is Adrian getting a new pal then?

Well I was wondering, in a not-entirely-serious way, about a rough-stuff tourer.  And I hadn't got as far as wondering (seriously or otherwise) how many gears it might (or might not) have.  And then this popped into my inbox.

If by any chance it were to happen, this would be Peter, obviously.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »
*thinks*

*think a bit more*

Oh!  I geddit!

Sorry, I'm a bit slow at the moment....

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »
I like that, a lot.  If I didn't already have a drop bar, disc braked, fixed gear Roadrat I'd get one. :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2012, 01:32:38 pm »
Meh.  Not nearly orange enough. 8)
(And fixed.  I don't do fixed. ::-) )
Still, I'm sure some will like it.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Its not actually fixed is it? It is just described as 'singlespeed'.
It doesn't specify what the hub is, but I presume it has a freehub. There isn't many fixed disc hubs available, except for the Surly.

billplumtree

« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2012, 02:09:42 pm »
Its not actually fixed is it? It is just described as 'singlespeed'.
It doesn't specify what the hub is, but I presume it has a freehub. There isn't many fixed disc hubs available, except for the Surly.

It appears to have a bog-standard freewheel:

Shimano SF-MX30 18t

so easy enough to fix  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »
I like that. 

What's the tyre clearance on these things like again?

I'd like it as a fixed, but let's say at some point I wanted to convert that to an Alfine - does it have all the required gubbins to allow that?

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:33:42 pm »
Clearance on the all the Day Ones is unfortunatley very poor - particularly under the fork. Shame its a good looking bike and well speced for the price but for a bike that has more than a nod to commuting use, the clearance is a big let down.

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:44:29 pm »
Sorry but they are NOT BB7 - they are BB5, not the same thing at all, I'm afraid. One of the reasons I went for the Pompetamine in the end (the Day One and the Pompetamine were the only two drop bar Alfine hub Disc braked machines out there when I was looking)

« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:47:27 pm »
I thought I vaguely recalled reading about something less than ideal with these. And isn't there summat about the disc mounts? Oh well. Still, I'd like something like that:

- steel
- discs
- big clearances for fatties and guards if desired
- rack mounts, pref on the front too
- flexible drive options - can be run as a fixed but with proper gubbins for a hub gear, not a lash-up
- geometry such that it would ride ok as a light tourer
- not too heavy

« Reply #13 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »
isnt that the pompetamine? Apart from the heavy bit, but it's not *too* bad...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:53:11 pm »
Or a Peregrine? Think it ticks all the boxes

« Reply #15 on: 02 February, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »
isnt that the pompetamine? Apart from the heavy bit, but it's not *too* bad...

I seem to have a vague recollection of those having slightly funny geometry, or is that some other bike?

I like them, but I just cannot see how such a long traditional fork can be ok with a disc. How is yours when you chuck the anchor out?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2012, 06:56:52 am »

I like them, but I just cannot see how such a long traditional fork can be ok with a disc. How is yours when you chuck the anchor out?

Until someone remarked on it in another thread I hadn't really thought much about the fork length. I can't say I've noticed anything different about the handling or feel. Put the brakes on and the bike slows/stops no vibration issues.

billplumtree

« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:51:25 am »
Sorry but they are NOT BB7 - they are BB5, not the same thing at all, I'm afraid. One of the reasons I went for the Pompetamine in the end (the Day One and the Pompetamine were the only two drop bar Alfine hub Disc braked machines out there when I was looking)

Spec says BB7, although the Alfine does indeed only get BB5.

« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:52:55 am »

Spec says BB7, although the Alfine does indeed only get BB5.

Ahhhh! true

billplumtree

« Reply #19 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:56:48 am »
Clearance on the all the Day Ones is unfortunatley very poor - particularly under the fork. Shame its a good looking bike and well speced for the price but for a bike that has more than a nod to commuting use, the clearance is a big let down.

I didn't think it was that bad.  I run Pasela 700x35s comfortably on mine, with guards (SKS P45).  Genesis website says:

Cross Use - Continental Cyclocross Speed Up To 700x42C
    Commuting - Continental Contact OR Top Contact 700x42C (With Mudguards consider using 700x37C)

« Reply #20 on: 07 February, 2012, 11:07:05 am »
Here is a picture of the clearance with 35mm contis'

Road.cc Day One Disc

I'd be interested to see someone ride over a muddy field with 42mm tyres!

« Reply #21 on: 09 February, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
Anybody running discs/fixed combo? - I like the idea for the winter snow & ice etc. & not wearing my rims out, BUT there are some big hills up north & I do feather/ drag my brakes a bit on some of them so would be concerned about the heat build up on discs.

« Reply #22 on: 10 February, 2012, 06:50:58 am »
Tandems on  a tour to the Alps noted problems with heat build up - I can´t remember which tour. They found that an internal rubberpart in the BB7 couldn´t stand the breaking heat. It was only in working order on one of the tandems who rode down with BB7. There was no problems with the discs. I have never heard of problems with single bicycles & discs. I don´t think it will be a problem for you.

Chris N

« Reply #23 on: 10 February, 2012, 08:16:48 am »
I cooked my BB7 pads by dragging them on a steep descent on my fixed Roadrat - you soon learn not to do that, because it stops the brake working completely until you wear the knackered surface off.  Best technique is to brake in short, sharp bursts and alternate between front and rear - much as you should do with a rim brake anyway.

« Reply #24 on: 09 August, 2012, 09:01:10 pm »
Saw one of these in the flesh metal today.

Very ooh. Very ooh indeed.