Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926053 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8050 on: 11 May, 2018, 11:16:14 am »
Finally joined Reading Film Theatre http://readingfilmtheatre.co.uk/ so starting a binge...

Seen:
The Shape of Water - Fanatasy love story set in a US Cold War research facility.  Imaginative and visually beautiful, though perhaps rather a standard love story in the end.
Isle of Dogs - Wes Anderson stop motion animation about dogs banished to a rubbish dump and an attempt to rescue them.  Jolly good fun :-)

Coming Up:
I, Tonya - "Story disgraced competitive figure skater Tonya Harding."
Funny Cow - "Following the rise of a female comedienne in the all-male world of the comedy circuit in the north of England in the late 1970s"

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8051 on: 11 May, 2018, 02:14:20 pm »
Dunkirk

Harrowing viewing, even on the relatively small screen of my home entertainment system (aka telly).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #8052 on: 14 May, 2018, 09:48:23 am »
Infinity War. If you like superheroes making wisecracks and generally having a galaxy-sized beef, it's the best one yet, and is appropriately awesome – sassy script, breathtaking fx, and unrelenting pace. If you're an effete viewer of art house cinema and scared of loud noises, on the other hand, probably best to stay away. One of the few recent movies that earned its long running time and left me thinking done already? As per usual, wait till the end of the credits. I dunno why people still leave when the credits begin to roll on these movies, there's always a coda.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8053 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:15:53 am »
The Death of Stalin

I thought this started off very well, but then petered out, getting weaker and harder to follow.
It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8054 on: 14 May, 2018, 12:31:30 pm »
Infinity War. If you like superheroes making wisecracks and generally having a galaxy-sized beef, it's the best one yet, and is appropriately awesome – sassy script, breathtaking fx, and unrelenting pace. If you're an effete viewer of art house cinema and scared of loud noises, on the other hand, probably best to stay away. One of the few recent movies that earned its long running time and left me thinking done already?

Indeed.

I dunno why people still leave when the credits begin to roll on these movies, there's always a coda.
It may not be their first time to see the film.

Although, on our second viewing, we still stayed for the last bit.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #8055 on: 14 May, 2018, 01:04:07 pm »
Whatever you do though, when watching a movie from the back row of the Imax auditorium, do not look at the bottom of the screen when the credits are rolling.

The only downside to Infinity War is the wait for the next one.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8056 on: 14 May, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »
Not seen yet, but bought tickets for: https://www.hulltruck.co.uk/whats-on/hull-truck-screen/harold-lloyd-in-speedy-u/

Hull Truck Theatre are screening 'Speedy' with Harold Lloyd, with live music.
Hooray!
 ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8057 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:43:45 pm »
Easy Rider

In an attempt to make sense of Charlotte's mid-life crisis (which appears to be going rather well).  I'm not sure any of it actually made sense, per se.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8058 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:19:56 am »
A Chinese Ghost Story, "martial arts" "romantic comedy horror film" which is quite good fun all the same.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8059 on: 19 May, 2018, 03:40:00 pm »
Apocalypto

Some nice visuals, but not much of a story - even with considerable artistic license used re: timelines.  I wouldn't say it's the worst two hours I've ever spent in front of a screen, but definitely worth a (dis)Honourable Mention.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #8060 on: 21 May, 2018, 08:21:15 am »
Deadpool II. I thought a quite brave directorial decision to move away from the needless swearing and violence of the first and instead spend three hours meditating on the nature of power and meaning of death to a superhero. I found it an emotionally moving and draining, yet ultimately worthwhile, experience.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8061 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:41:20 am »
You mean like Jesus Christ Superstar on ice?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8062 on: 27 May, 2018, 10:50:41 pm »
Black Panther

Certainly one of the more watchable Marvel films, even though it wasn't played for laughs.  Probably because of its refreshingly sensible model of masculinity and high Bechdel-Wallace test compliance.  Very pretty, but in a completely different way to Doctor Strange.  And all that lovely representation that's been discussed passim.

Basically, it's what Wonder Woman was trying to be.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8063 on: 28 May, 2018, 08:44:14 am »
Mission Impossible IV (Ghost Protocol).

It's a 6/10 competent entertaining action movie, with a lot of humour added by Mr Pegg*. So 8/10, and N loved it. A reminder that straight action movies (i.e. without humour or romance elements) are very rarely worth watching. This one had a nice balance, never got boring, or too serious, or too gory - and unlike some recent Bond movies, didn't suffer too-many-endings-itis.

The only other MI i've seen was II (seems about a billion years ago), which I don't recall being very interesting at all. I believe Simon Pegg is in IV, V and VI, so I'll probably watch those. Did the non-Pegg episodes have any humour to them? I'm not optimistic ...

*I proper splorted at his best moment in this (pretty absurd) scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DkV8WE7DFA
(I know it's beyond sad to quote my own post, but I feel there's a nice progression here, and you don't have to read it ... )

Mission Impossible V: Rogue Nation.  :thumbsup:

They've almost got this nailed now. More of the same from the first Pegg romp, but possibly better. They've basically thrown away all the annoying sh1te that modern action blockbusters drool over, and just got the basics right; action, humour, pace, all in the right proportions with a quality cast.

It's kinda like one of the better Roger Moore bond movies in tone - but more stylish, and modern script/characters/production.

Fans of Rev will enjoy seeing  Tom Hollander reunited with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_McBurney :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #8064 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:28:51 am »
Not seen the latest one, but I quite like the Mission Impossibles, though the first one was a bit dull until they got away from trying to make a 60s film in a modern stylee. Tom Cruise, however much you want to dislike him, really does carry them and never seems to taking the movies seriously. They're a nice antidote to the Bourne-esque pofacery school of action movies that has infected the last couple of Bonds.

« Reply #8065 on: 04 June, 2018, 12:18:09 pm »
Watched Solo.
Garbage movie, but Emilia Clarke made it tolerable.

« Reply #8066 on: 13 June, 2018, 07:31:58 am »
Solo...and much to my surprise, absolutely loved it.

« Reply #8067 on: 13 June, 2018, 10:27:38 pm »
Darkest Hour.     

Worth watching; GO is great.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

fuzzy

« Reply #8068 on: 13 June, 2018, 10:53:59 pm »
The Last Jedi.

Meh.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8069 on: 14 June, 2018, 12:15:15 am »
**Insert Star Wars Episode of choice**

Meh.

Don't get it. Never did . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8070 on: 14 June, 2018, 06:02:27 am »
The first one was ok. (The real first one, not the money grabbing ‘first’ one)
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8071 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:16:07 am »
Grauniads of the Galaxy - a ragtag team of freelance hacks on a desperate quest for white chocolate. Josh Brolin (uncredited) looks great in blue. Or was it purple?

ian

« Reply #8072 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:23:22 am »

The Empire Strikes Back was good too. After that, Ewoks. Rogue One was very good though. The last one was so forgettable I couldn't even tell what it was called. I've not seen Solo yet, it seems like the sort of thing that they couldn't fuck up, loveable rogue Han etc. That said, the reviews have been mostly 'meh.'

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #8073 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:25:40 am »

So after the first one it kinda went downhill rapidly.

The defence rests.

Meh.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8074 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:52:11 pm »

So after the first one it kinda went downhill rapidly.

The defence rests.

Meh.

The Thick Of It neatly covered everything[1] you need to know about Star Wars:

Malcolm Tucker: It's time for you to step up Ollie. What's that film that you love?

Oliver Reeder: What film?

Malcolm Tucker: The one about the fucking hairdresser, the space hairdresser and the cowboy. The guy, he's got a tin foil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego! They're all made of fucking Lego.

Oliver Reeder: Star Wars?

Malcolm Tucker: That's the one, right. It's like that, okay? Where you fucking kill all the bad guys, and you'll be able to blow up the big...

Oliver Reeder: Death Star.

Malcolm Tucker: The Death Star thing. Then you can go and live happily ever after on the planet of the teddy bears.

Oliver Reeder: They're Ewoks, they're Ewoks. It's a fantastic analogy, well done.

[1] Unless you want to be really geeky about the eventual fate of the planet of the teddy bears, in which case this is a work of art: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html