Author Topic: UK Retro Rides  (Read 4629 times)

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
UK Retro Rides
« on: 21 February, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »
Since riding L'Eroica in Tuscany a few years back my pre 1979 bike has been gathering the dust somewhat. So to change that I've entered Eroica Britannia weekend, 17-19 June, 100 miles from Bakewell http://eroicabritannia.co.uk/ and the following weekend The Mighty Corinthian, a 300km jaunt around the Lake District, with 4215m of climb. http://www.cyclosport.org/19-Nov-2015/n ... trict.html

Any other retro forum riders thinking of doing these?

Will need to get going with some serious training soon, and also some hood covers for the brakes as those old school brakes give me blisters over longer rides...
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: UK Retro Rides
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2016, 09:43:37 pm »
I've been thinking about the Corinthian as part of preparation for another l'Eroica 200. It'll mean a complete rebuild of my early 1950s Claud Butler but I have a cotter pin press now, so it should be pretty easy. I was never much good with a hammer. HK will be riding l'Eroica too.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pete Mas

« Reply #2 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:36:01 pm »
HK will be riding l'Eroica too.

That's good, didn't think HK was too fond of strade bianche rides?
I think the Corinthian 300 could be quite a challenge on a retro bike!

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »
She is getting more comfortable with gravel.

I started riding brevets with toeclips, so that is fine. The low gears available with a 46t chainring and Cyclo derailleur make things quite a bit tougher though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pete Mas

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2016, 01:57:51 pm »
Time to start thinking about these rides again as EB is on the weekend after next! I am entered for the 100 miler, with a start time from 6am. Then the following weekend I'm planning a 3am start for the 300km Mighty Corinthian in the Lake District!

Re Gearing , the chainset on my retro bike is the original 52, 42 I think, but I managed to get a 5 speed hyper-glide block which is something like 14-24, then a huge leap to 34!
That works well with the friction levers and gives me 42 x 34 low gear for steep climbing.

I have sourced some nice brake hood covers  (in white) , which match my retro saddle. Also I have some Gravel King tyres (26's), as I found on L'Eroica that the 23's led to a couple of pinch punctures.

R.L.Stevenson

Pete Mas

« Reply #5 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:43:00 pm »
I had a nice time at both these events, though the muddy Bakewell showground campsite at Eroica Britannia was a little trying at times, and stomping around in the mud wellies tired me out more than the 100 mile ride. The festival had some interesting stands and entertainment, but not all cycling related (Maserati!). Definitely a ride to do if you like posing in retro (tweed) and I grew some retro whiskers for this event and the MC 300km ride. The 100 mile ride starts from 6am (to 7.15) and I was off at 6 with the first group to leave. Its a good varied ride, with some gravel and pave sections,and compulsory walking of a steep trail section. The food stops are good - especially enjoyed the ice cream in the afternoon.

The Mighty Corinthian 300km retro event was a pilot event in its first year and only 17 riders actually started out of over 50 entrants.The course has over 4000m of climb, including Hartside and Kirkstone passes, but has been designed to minimise the climbing in a very hilly area, and there's only a tiny gravel section to slow you down. It felt like a tough audax at times, and would make an excellent perm audax route. The afternoon bottle of beer and hot pie stop at Brougham Hall was the most memorable, and there was still about 50 miles to go at that stage.Weather was good except for very heavy showers at about 4pm. I was near the back of the field and started at 3 am finishing about 10.20pm.
Photos here:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694528@N06/sets/72157669747219151
P

R.L.Stevenson