Author Topic: Beer!  (Read 88978 times)

ian

Re: Beer!
« Reply #500 on: 21 May, 2018, 08:17:23 am »
It's actually quite nice, doesn't have that inauthentic and overpowering watermelon flavour. Summery, of course. A good sour or gose on a warm summer evening is perfect. That said, I find sours in general a bit hit and miss, especially if there's ageing involved, they're one of the more difficult beers. They show that you can hide a lot of sins with sufficient hops.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #501 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:40:37 am »
So, say a chap is visiting that there London, for work reasons.

Say said chap happens to be going to conference in Kensington but staying out near Excel (for reasons too boring to detail)

Where would you recommend said chap goes for a decent beer?

Said chap has visited the Beer House @ London Bridge and The Craft Beer Company @ Limehouse, both of which delivered, but said chap enjoys trying new places
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #502 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:48:59 am »
If said chap is near Excel, said chap is reasonably close to another sad chap who could suggest places, including their own hallowed halls....

tiermat

« Reply #503 on: 21 May, 2018, 09:59:17 am »
If said chap is near Excel, said chap is reasonably close to another sad chap who could suggest places, including their own hallowed halls....

Normally I said chap would say "Have at it", but he will be accompanied by his chums, for both evenings :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #504 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:11:21 am »
If said chap is prepared to cross the river from Excel, a third chap is happy to make a strong recommendation for the River Ale House in East Greenwich - newish micropub in a former knicker shop, frequently referred to by the third chap's wife as 'YourHis New Favourite Place.'

A short bus ride from North Greenwich tube station or from the south end of the cable car: choosing to walk is a bit grotty but might open up the possibility of a mini crawl including the Meantime Brewery, and/or the Meantime bar at North Greenwich.

« Reply #505 on: 21 May, 2018, 10:22:48 am »
why not drag 'em here ? https://www.whatpub.com/pubs/ELC/14563/fox-haggerston  ;D

Was going to suggest The Wanstead Tap, and The Pretty Decent Beer Company but (a) limited days open and (b) not necesasrily worth the schlep, although quite fun for us locals.

There's also Tap East in Stratford Westfield

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #506 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:51:13 pm »
For isotonic porpoises.

IMG_0809_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ian

« Reply #507 on: 29 May, 2018, 10:23:01 am »
Brasserie de Meaux, who gave us a nice tour. Straightforward artisanal beers done well (cerise, wheat, blonde, amber, and dark) and a nice break from the triple hopped DIPA monsters and the like.

Now I've found a bar in Chicago that promises 119 beers on tap...

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #508 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:04:15 pm »

IMG_0861_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #509 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:56:25 am »
A wild beer orangey/guava-ey thing last night while bottling my homebrew.

Sounded nice in principle, too sweet in practice.

Had a bottle of my barleywine during the week, maturing very nicely.  Now tasting very rich and raisiny and the hops have mellowed
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #510 on: 03 June, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
A couple pints of Badger Pale Ale and one of Fursty Ferret. In a sunny beer garden. Super.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

tiermat

« Reply #511 on: 04 June, 2018, 08:32:51 am »
Stopped off at a deli/petrol station /beer shop, on the way back from York, yesterday.

I managed to get my hands on a can of unhuman and neo-human Cannonball.

ian

« Reply #512 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
Stopped off at a deli/petrol station /beer shop, on the way back from York, yesterday.

I managed to get my hands on a can of unhuman and neo-human Cannonball.

I came home to a fridge filled with this awesome:

Human Cannonball
Un-Human Cannonball
Neo-Human Cannonball
Hedonistic Escalation
Damn, Son.

On the front of the fridge are four post-its that read DO. NOT. DRINK. IT.

Had some good stuff on my travels in Chicagoland. I'm off to Portland and Seattle this summer. I may need that 1000-tablet bottle of ibuprofen that I sourced from Walgreens the other day...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #513 on: 04 June, 2018, 09:42:29 pm »
a Beavertown somethingorother session IPA (neck oil?), decent light IPA, hoppy, slighlty fruity
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #514 on: 08 June, 2018, 10:02:55 pm »
Made a start on the Magic Rock with Damn, Son. I wasn't that impressed at first, but warmed up a little it's really quite lush. It's not sour though (if you want a sour, you'll be disappointed), just a murky fruity IPA, reminiscent of Brewdog's Pump Action Poet but with a bit more fruit to it.

I could, but probably shouldn't, drink a bathtub full of it. I'm not brave enough to hit the Cannonballs yet.

tiermat

« Reply #515 on: 09 June, 2018, 06:09:58 am »
I am building up to the Cannonball, too.

Today, however, in celebration of our 16th wedding anniversary, myself and Mrs T will be visiting the new House of Trembling Madness, which only opened yesterday!

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #516 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:56:04 pm »
Cantillon Mamouche at 6 Degrees North  :P (£15 a pint, the bar manager said his boss had advised him to sell it at 50% more than that  ::-) )

tiermat

« Reply #517 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:07:37 am »
Over the weekend I had, in no real order:

The Great Cornholio by Tiny Rebel
Unhuman Cannonball by Magic Rock
Life and Death & Pride and Glory by Vocation.

The latter 2 are my goto, ideal for smashing whilst watching the football, the former two I drank while watching a movie on Friday night.

« Reply #518 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:15:20 am »
I am building up to the Cannonball, too.

Today, however, in celebration of our 16th wedding anniversary, myself and Mrs T will be visiting the new House of Trembling Madness, which only opened yesterday!
Is the new trembling any good?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #519 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:10:18 am »
I was going to drink the first of the Cannonballs last night, but bottled it as I have things to do today and an international flight. I did have the Hedonic Escalation though and it was very nice.

« Reply #520 on: 25 June, 2018, 11:17:20 am »
I think I might have to track down some Cannonballs. It's the problem with living in the craft beer desert that is Oxfordshire.

In other news, a cheeky and frivolous to Stone Brewing Berlin yesterday to cushion the impending doom of SXF yielded some of the best beers I've had so far this year.

Stone Pilot Series Golden Kraut - 8.5% golden ale w/ juniper, caraway and sage. The herbs were just strong enough to taste throughout the glass but subtle enough for it to be dangerously drinkable.

Guezerie Tilquin/Brasserie Artisanale de Rulles Stout Rullquin. Apparently it's La Rulles Brun blended 7 parts with 1 part one-year old lambics, aged in oak barrels and then refermented for 6 months. Reminiscent of a Flanders red but more  like tamarind or pomegranate molasses than balsamic vinegar.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #521 on: 25 June, 2018, 12:19:17 pm »
I think I might have to track down some Cannonballs. It's the problem with living in the craft beer desert that is Oxfordshire.

In other news, a cheeky and frivolous to Stone Brewing Berlin yesterday to cushion the impending doom of SXF yielded some of the best beers I've had so far this year.

Stone Pilot Series Golden Kraut - 8.5% golden ale w/ juniper, caraway and sage. The herbs were just strong enough to taste throughout the glass but subtle enough for it to be dangerously drinkable.

Guezerie Tilquin/Brasserie Artisanale de Rulles Stout Rullquin. Apparently it's La Rulles Brun blended 7 parts with 1 part one-year old lambics, aged in oak barrels and then refermented for 6 months. Reminiscent of a Flanders red but more  like tamarind or pomegranate molasses than balsamic vinegar.

Ooh - we're planning a visit to Stone later this week  :P

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #522 on: 25 June, 2018, 01:04:07 pm »

Whereabouts are you? There’s always a good selection at Bellingers in Wantage (the Vauxhall dealer, I kid you not!) and Q garden centre just outside Didcot. Plus Whitehorse Brewery in Stanford

ian

« Reply #523 on: 25 June, 2018, 02:42:30 pm »
If you ever get the opportunity go to Stone's place in Escondido. It's well worth the $30ish in an Uber/Lyft.

Of course there's no shortage of places to drink good beer in San Diego (there's downtown Stone tap by Petco stadium – though head to North Park for Modern Times et al. and a splendid pub crawl).

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #524 on: 26 June, 2018, 09:30:58 pm »
We have found the Stone tap at Prenzlauerberg :P