Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889651 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #525 on: 14 May, 2008, 07:40:42 pm »
I've been out in the sunshine.  One of my cleat bolts came out, which meant I couldn't get my left foot out (exciting turning right on a busy road).

Later took off over to Clapham Junction - just ten minutes, and I think I'm getting over the psychological barrier of a small hill nearby.  Swift zoom home past the traffic with Butterfly. :)
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #526 on: 14 May, 2008, 08:06:27 pm »
Ten miles of commuting. Quite pleasant today.

Twice I was overtaken by other cyclists, which is quite unusual: not because I'm fast but because there are not so many of them.

The first of these overtook on the inside for no good reason at all and I caught him at the lights. I scrutinised his Trek frame carefully. "Just checking to see if your bike was made by BMW," said I. He saw the funny side and apologised.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Maladict

« Reply #527 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:03:09 pm »
Returning from the Lake District.

Realised I'd managed to catch the rush hour bike ban from London to Cambridge so went and sat in a park (something or other square gardens, near KX) for a couple of hours in the sun, and read yacf and upgraded the version of google mail on my phone.  :)

« Reply #528 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:40:15 pm »
  I was out today with 16 others from South Bucks CTC on a wonderful ride in the scenic countryside of the Chiltern Hills and the Vale of Oxford with glorious sunshine and a cooling breeze. It was a fantastic day.

Difficult as it may seem, something else really made my day - at the lunch stop. On such a glorious day it was quite natural for everyone to choose to sit outside. I spotted Peter and his wife sitting inside so I decided to sit with them as they looked left out and I had met them but once before, last year. Peter is about 70 and is in a wheelchair. Exactly why I can't remember but he will never ride again, making life a tad difficult. Something in me hurt for Peter.

The conversation included an Austrian cyclist Peter has helped. They bumped into him while on holiday in Somerset where he asked for directions. Peter described his bike as like a baker's bike with a massive front basket, in which sat a fully-laden rucksack. For directions all he had was a map of the UK torn out of an atlas! Peter explained that he was a cyclist and ended up spending many days cycling with him while he was over here. The chap had later been in contact and invited them over to his place (in Austria) to be his guests for a holiday, which they enjoyed immensely.

What made my day was to see how Peter's face lit up as he recounted those glorious days on his bike, going out of his way to help this foreigner. To see this wheelchair-confined (ex?)-cyclist for a short time happy and reliving wonderful and exciting memories was even more thrilling that the rest of the day.

Thanks for reading this far.
Lovely story, RR.

Btw, did I see you on Sunday early afternoon near Walton Bridge, you in a US Postal jersey?

« Reply #529 on: 14 May, 2008, 10:51:25 pm »
That is a nice story road-runner, it obviously did him good to recount those stories.

And good one wowbagger. There are lots of cyclists around now that the weather is good, and there is some undertaking going on that riles me...that's a good line you have there.

I cycled to my mum's this evening through Maida Vale, drivers were quite pleasant but then I've cut out the very narrow streets lined with parked cars as I always had 'incidents' on them.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #530 on: 14 May, 2008, 11:06:59 pm »
5  miles on the school run and then 66 miles to go see a game of rounders, which we lost. I nearly beat the minibus back, over 30 miles.  :thumbsup: *

* It got caught up in the M5 closure.

My first metric 100 since November. In effect my December, 12th month one that I never did.

So that's 100 miles in two days.
It is simpler than it looks.

CathH

« Reply #531 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:20:08 am »
What is it about cycling in rain that I enjoy so much?  Gave the Rainlegs a good workout - they are an excellent bit of kit.  The main thing I like about them is that they keep the tops of my thighs warm.

vince

« Reply #532 on: 15 May, 2008, 08:21:23 am »
I rode 23 miles home after dropping my car off with friends. A lovely summer evening, on some of my favourite roads in the Peak. It was also my last ride before the Friday night ride.

A long road up to Longcliffe, which I usually do the other way around:

This is absolutely one of my favourite descents, long and sweeping before tightening up at the bottom with a series of sharp turns into a steep limestone dale. It's not as much fun to climb it!

After this it was a fast shallow descent to Grangemill and a steady climb to Winster, a largeish village high up in the White Peak:

From this point there is a lovely fast descent into Darley Dale, through Wensley on almost traffic free roads. At weekends these roads can be heavy with traffic, but in the evening and early morning they are usually very quiet and tourist free.

At Darley Dale I began the long climb up to Beeley Moor:

I'm hoping that if I made it up this I should manage Ditchling early Saturday morning. This went on for half a mile, plus another mile of climbing at a lower rate through Peak Forest before reaching the straight road over the top of the Moor and then dropping down into Chesterfield to the chippy and home 8)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #533 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
What a glorious day, set off with the intention of riding the top loop of Tiermat's Tyke Ride, in preparation for June 14th.  Got 10 miles in, on a long drag up hill, needed to drop down into the granny ring and BAM! Chain suck, brought the chain up round the chainstay and there it did stay...

Had to undo the chainring bolts, remove outer and middle ring to free the chain, and then it now looks like I need a new middle ring :(

Oh well, off to the LBS with me then (only got it back from there yesterday after a service)

Anyways got a nice 17 miles in the sunshine and I am feeling good...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #534 on: 15 May, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »
:(  Oh that sucks! ;)

*runs*
Getting there...

« Reply #535 on: 15 May, 2008, 02:01:27 pm »
What is it about cycling in rain that I enjoy so much? 

After days of cycling in lovely weather, it was quite refreshing cycling in the rain this morning !
Luckily I had my Goretex  ;D

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #536 on: 15 May, 2008, 03:20:25 pm »
I've just been shopping. Exploring our new surroundings and searching out independent greengrocers. Not very successful unfortunately, I ended up having to give in and go to Sainsburys to get fresh Corriander. Bugger. (The potted Corriander that I grew from seed isn't quite up to being harvested yet.)

Cycling around the Fylde is very pleasant, it being entirely flat apart from the odd railway bridge. I'm a bit worried I am going to lose my Welsh hill legs very quickly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #537 on: 15 May, 2008, 04:55:02 pm »
Finally got the Woodrup out on the road again.  What joy!

I'll never be the fastest rider on the road, but I can get up there a bit.  And a gently rolling 10k was a good shake-down ride. :)

Spinning out just over 40kph down Earlsfield Road means it goes up just as fast as I want it to - any faster, I'll freewheel, thanks ;)  And it's light enough to climb OK too (well, better than me ;D )
Getting there...

« Reply #538 on: 15 May, 2008, 09:19:55 pm »
Don't know if it was just my wettish roads, but boy oh boy was it slippery out today.
I had a cracking rear wheel slide at one stage and the old gent walking his dog nearly spat his teeth out, and he was only watching from the other side of the road  ;D

« Reply #539 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:25:38 pm »
We took the new tandem to Wandsworth's mayor-making ceremony. Not a long ride, but fun swooping past the queueing traffic and worth it for the looks when people realised that we had cycled and that I had cycle shorts under the red silk dress. ;D

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #540 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:31:05 pm »
Got to speak to several councillors & two MPs (well, one very briefly...).  Great networking, with one keen Tory* councillor wheeling her friends across regularly to speak to us :thumbsup:

Several people had their eyes opened (not just when Butterfly flashed her shorts ;D )

Well, it is Wandsworth, and I did wash my hands afterwards... ;)
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #541 on: 15 May, 2008, 10:56:24 pm »
30 miles and got visited by the P-fairy for first time since August and 3500 miles.

The clue that my tyre had gone was the sphincter-clenching broadside as I rounded a fast bend near home.  "Rear-Wheel Steering" always looks great when Valentino Rossi does it in MotoGP but less impressive when my bike decides to do it without warning me.

I've forgotten how to fix them it's been such a long time.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #542 on: 15 May, 2008, 11:03:46 pm »
Only to work and back, but my and Anth's paths finally crossed. Given that we commute the same route but in opposite directions, you'd think we'd have already in the 6 weeks I've been going that way. But I'm a lazy mare who hates mornings and has flexitime so I'm usually in later ...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #543 on: 16 May, 2008, 12:11:21 am »
Cycling around the Fylde is very pleasant, it being entirely flat apart from the odd railway bridge. I'm a bit worried I am going to lose my Welsh hill legs very quickly.

You could always get a train to Burnley once a week and cycle up and down the Nick of Pendle just for the hell of it. :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #544 on: 16 May, 2008, 05:14:57 pm »
Had a nice swoop through the back roads of south london - Putney & N Wimbledon as well as Wandsworth/Tooting.  There's some sleepy leafiness about - and some madly grandiose houses too!

Got annoyed with a galaxy rider ignoring a red light when some schoolchildren were crossing (somehow I feel those riding tourers should have a higher level of manners - irrational, I know), and with a WVM who crowded me on a railway bridge.  I reached up & pushed his door mirror, then felt guilty that he probably wouldn't be able to see whoever was on the inside.  But he'd have hit me with it if I hadn't, so I hope he had the good sense to sort it out when he was stopped in the traffic.  I thought about staying back from him so he couldn't retaliate, but the traffic was so laughably stuck that I just went past car after car after car, a broad smile across my lips, until I was into the back streets near home, and feeling safe and untouchable.

I heart my bike :)
Getting there...

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #545 on: 16 May, 2008, 05:23:50 pm »
I popped into work on the mtb about lunchtime to do some cellar work. Only 5 miles to work, but I must have got lost on the way back because when I got home I was very muddy and had clocked up 25 miles!   :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #546 on: 18 May, 2008, 04:35:18 pm »
40 miles today along the canal path. Had to stop for a pee in some bushes. First to guess where I got nettle rash wins - absolutely nothing but the satisfaction of being right.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #547 on: 18 May, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »
Nice gentle 30 miles through Kingston-upon-Thames, Sunbury, Walton and Hampton back through Kingston and Richmond Park.

Headwind both ways ??? Great to see so many cyclists out although the family wobbling their way along the road three abreast (with space to pass comfortably between them, not that I did that  :demon:) could have shown a little more awareness of their surroundings.

« Reply #548 on: 18 May, 2008, 05:45:26 pm »
CTC section ride from Uxbridge to Fairoaks aerodrome (near Chobham) for coffee. Fortunately we arrived before a couple of dozen leatherjackets. Then back through Windsor to Eton for a pub lunch.

My daughter is over from Cape Town for a couple of months, so I persuaded her to come along on my Moulton ATB, not the lightest of bikes. She hadn't cycled for over two years, but managed the 45 miles -  well done!

« Reply #549 on: 18 May, 2008, 05:46:05 pm »
75.5 miles to York and back. I am disappointed it wasn't further.