Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487631 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17950 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:01:55 am »
In shorts again. A stiff breeze at 0700 is rapidly turning into a gale now
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #17951 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:06:43 am »
I am loving the mild temperatures in the South. Shorts on all day but legs are shot. I need to rest this week and just do the commutes. No Wattbikes or mammoth rides for a week methinks.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #17952 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:11:13 am »
First Basingstoke - London - Basingstoke commute of the year yesterday.  Pleased that the legs held up turning a gear into the headwind all the way back.  Only started to feel wobbly in the false flat at Hook rather than at the Cote du Jolly Farmer so took that as a good sign.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17953 on: 26 January, 2016, 07:42:54 pm »
Well, today was fun. Came home around midday - into the teeth of a gale and at high tide. A lunchtime high tide means a spring tide - I caught a couple of big waves. Or, rather they caught me. Wet, cold, salty, laced with grit. Usually, I can time my run and miss the breaks but when you're struggling into a headwind you just have to take whatever's coming!

« Reply #17954 on: 26 January, 2016, 09:33:40 pm »
Well, today was fun. Came home around midday - into the teeth of a gale and at high tide. A lunchtime high tide means a spring tide - I caught a couple of big waves. Or, rather they caught me. Wet, cold, salty, laced with grit. Usually, I can time my run and miss the breaks but when you're struggling into a headwind you just have to take whatever's coming!

Are you cyclist or sailor?
 :D

« Reply #17955 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:45:31 am »
Yesterday night on the return from Morris practice (well the pub after practice anyway), riding across the top of the cotswolds through camp, and bisley the wind was horrendous, the rain not much better so much so that I rode down the hill and past the hospital without using my brakes* in an effort to get home quicker I was so wet.

* it's down hill, quite significantly, and also 10 to midnight.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17956 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:31:27 am »
So wet! I've lost my knack of keeping dry it seems.

My Aldi gloves (two winters old and cost less than a fiver) are coming adrift at the seams. False economy or just lots of wet winter miles? Not decided.

But I'm more miffed at my Dare2b jacket. It's never worked as a waterproof jacket. Not only is it generally permeable in the manner of breathable things - but the zip isn't sufficiently buffered / layered / waterproof and it just leaks. Pockets seem waterproof - from the inside ; they fill up! And the hood is brimless and shapeless - so doesn't keep rain off face/specs. I'm glad I only paid 30 quid in a sale. But v disappointing - I shall return to my cape.

Finally, overtrousers that get damp inside. Is this leakage? Or condensation? Surely my legs don't sweat that much?

At least my Shimano Winter Boots are perfect. Despite drenching fall angles and regular submersion, feet remain warm and dry.

fuzzy

« Reply #17957 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:44:33 am »
Finally, overtrousers that get damp inside. Is this leakage? Or condensation? Surely my legs don't sweat that much?

Waterproof trousers make my legs sweat a lot so I wouldn't be surprised Pancho.

On my commute this morning, the ascent of Quarry Wood Road seemed to start as soon as I left my front door and only finished when I stepped off the bike at work. #knackered

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17958 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:45:30 pm »
A day's training in Ripley yesterday meant a commute in the opposite direction to the norm, and uphill for 6 miles. The tail wind meant that I flew there. The return journey was hellish. I hadn't realised how much of a gradient there was (see "tailwind"), but it was more than cancelled out by the headwind. There were points where - if I'd taken my feet off the pedals - I'd have been going backwards uphill!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17959 on: 27 January, 2016, 04:02:38 pm »
Another day on the mountain bike today. If anything windier than yesterday, and I got wetter. I had to empty the water out of my shoes when I arrived.

As our shower is out of order, I've cranked the heating up in the shower room and it seems to be working as a drying room. Hope so anyway as I need to put that kit back on in an hour. :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17960 on: 27 January, 2016, 07:39:13 pm »
Well that was interesting. Maybe riding along the seaside singletrack between Seascale and Sellafield into the teeth of a gale was probably not my most sensible move I should have worked this out when my bike took off while I was removing it from the bike park.. Resistance training I suppose but 9 km/h while working hard isn't fun.

Also found out there's quite a lot of flood/gale damage at the River Calder end of the path. There's a lot of woody debris on the track, piled high enough to have to lift the bike over and a lot of sand has been moved. In some places it's covered the track, and in others it's been washed out from the mats holding the track together. I don't think I'll be riding along there again for a while unfortunately.

Legs are tired now.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #17961 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:12:21 am »
Long trousers for the first time this week :( Lovely bright shiny morning with no wind so it was a nice (if somewhat cold) bimble in. :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #17962 on: 28 January, 2016, 08:46:49 am »
Daylight!  :thumbsup:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17963 on: 28 January, 2016, 09:38:32 am »
How much nicer it is to ride a road bike and without rain :thumbsup:

Still a bit windy but much better than the last few days :)

Only slight dent in my good ride was the Merc driver who tried to squeeze me on the little bridge instead of moving over. As it's that bridge I'm always a bit on edge.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17964 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:41:09 am »
Bugger! 
I organised something that would require me to commute by train for today.  It could just as easily been tomorrow.

I don't think I could have got that more wrong.  >:(

A beautiful morning today.  Storms forcast for tomorrow.

As I say.  Bugger!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #17965 on: 28 January, 2016, 01:12:01 pm »
Was the first day of the sun being in my eyes. Its the time of the year when I feel my most vulnerable on my bike.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #17966 on: 28 January, 2016, 07:28:51 pm »
As if homicidal drivers, and moon crater potholes weren't enough on the commute - this morning I was attacked by a kamikaze rabbit.

Ambled across the road from the right - panicked, leapt and bounced off my knee.

fuzzy

« Reply #17967 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:47:29 pm »
A play in one act, in the style of Sir Pterry.

Our protagonists:-

Fuzzy (retd.) AAGE, a cycle commuter. (F)
The Villain. A driver. (TV)
Captain Carrot Ironfoundersson, member of The City Watch. (CC)
Captain Delphine Angua von Überwald, member of The City Watch. (CA)
Commander Sir Samuel Vimes. Chief of The City Watch. (CV)
Lord Haverlock Vetinari, Patrician of Akh-Morpork (LV)
Corporal Cecil Wormsborough St John 'Nobby' Nobbs, member of The City Watch (NN)

LV- So Commander Vimes, have you a witness to speak against the accused?
TV- Course 'e aint, I din't do nuffink..
LV- Silence, or I shall think of something........ Interesting to keep you occupied.
TV- 'Snot bloody fair this aint.
CV- Yessir. Mr Fuzzy, late of The City Watch, formerly of Cable Street and Pseudopolis Yard.
LV- Call Mr Fuzzy then
NN- Call Mr Fuzzy!
Numerous fading voices- Call Mr Fuzzy!
The sound of approaching footsteps accross flagstone floor echo through the hall.
LV- Do you swear by The Gods, including The Small, to tell the truth, the whole truth etc.
F- Yessir Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir
LV (turning pages and speaking under his breath) Fuzzy (retd.) AAGE.... AAGE?
F- All Around Good Egg Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir
LV- Ah, I see. Well, tell me what happend then Mr Fuzzy.
F- Well Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir, I was making my way home, by bicycle...
LV- Bicycle?
CV- A two wheeled human powered velocipede Sir
LV- Ahhhh, most ingenious. Pray continue Mr Fuzzy
F- As I said Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir, I was cycling home along Peach Pie Street, towards Turnwise Broadway when I heard a commotion behind me, approaching at speed. It sounded like a host of dragons being stirred up into a frenzy Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. This noise grew rapidly closer and I feared for my safety. Suddenly it was upon me but, to my relief, instead of being slain, the noise passed me by, in a flash of noise and light. I recognised it immediatly Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir as a Microphallus Romanus Equinus Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir.
LV- What pray, is a Microphallus Romanus Equinus?
CV- A model of chariot, imported from cough abroad, Sir. A 'sports' chariot, often driven by reckless young members of the upper classes. Or mummers.
F- Exactly Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. This chariot was being drawn by a quartet of black prancing horses. It continued at speed along Peach Pie Street for a few seconds when it suddenly started to slow. I saw the sparks from the flailing hooves of the horses Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. It stopped just short of Turnwise Broadway.
LV- What caused the cessation of the chariots progress?
F- I'm not certain Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir but I think itwas the fiendishly visibly parked City Watch Patrol Chariot that I noticed stopped outside the Guild Of Butchers. It took me a little while but as I drew level with the Watch chariot Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir I saw that it was being used by my former colleagues Captains Carrot and Angua. They had the defendant out of his chariot and were deep in conversation with him. Well, Captain Carrot was. Captain Angua was just smiling at him. That probably explains the smell of loose bowels that I noticed Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir.
TV- Yeah, bloody City Watch. She got a dangerous look when she smiles.
LV- You just smiled at him Captain Angua?
CA- Yessir. Captain Carrot had the situation under full control. It makes me very happy to see him at work Sir.
F- As I passed them Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir, I complimented the Captains on their new equipment.
LV- Tell me more Mr Fuzzy.
F- The chariot was one of the new Conspicuous Patrol Chariots Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. I had heard of them just prior to my retirement. They have been fitted with the new Cobalt Light Imps and Very Visible paintwork. This includes panels decorated in the style of The Guild Of Bakers chequerboard cake motif that has been speacialy treated with a potion prepared by The Guild Of Alchemists. When light falls on the paintwork it glows like the output of an angry dragon Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. I remarked to the Captains as to how I had seen the chariot as I turned into Peach Pie Street from Fetter Lane.
LV- But that must be at least 200 to 300 yards Mr Fuzzy.
F- Exactly Mr Patrician Your Lordship Sir. Very good stuff that Very Visible Paint.
LV- Captain Carrot, what did the defendant have to say for himself?
CC- Not very much Sir. I explained that his conduct represented a grave risk to the citizens of Ankh-Morork and that I would have to deal robustly with him as a deterent to himself and others. When told this, he started to complain that it was an affront to his rights and that he paid his road tax and could do as he pleased.
LV- Road Tax? Road Tax...... hmmmm, theres an idea. Road Tax........ No. That might give individuals liable to pay Road Tax the idea that they own the roads. Can't have that. Cororal Nobbs, take the defendant down to the dungeon. I need to ponder how best to deal with this...............

The End

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17968 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:08:32 am »
POTD

« Reply #17969 on: 29 January, 2016, 12:39:46 am »
Bravo, fuzzy. Sir Terry would be proud.

« Reply #17970 on: 29 January, 2016, 07:39:47 am »
Neat. You've clearly got too much time on your hands and an over-fertile imagination.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #17971 on: 29 January, 2016, 08:39:22 am »
Very good fuzzy.

What a stonking tailwind, racing cars and taking turns with the gold Merckx fixie rider, he's quick and makes a big hole in the air since he's always out of the saddle, quite how he sees where he's going with the black shades on I don't know  ???

« Reply #17972 on: 29 January, 2016, 09:51:27 am »
That was a bit bloody hard work this morning.  Woke up with a sore throat and howling wind the wrong way.  So I engaged the dingle low gear, which isn't really meant for the commute.

« Reply #17973 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:08:51 am »
Enjoyed that fuzzy  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #17974 on: 29 January, 2016, 11:38:37 am »
Thank you Fuzzy, enjoyed that.