Author Topic: Ear training dogs  (Read 1389 times)

Ear training dogs
« on: 27 September, 2008, 01:54:29 pm »
I was doing some research into Irish Terriers and on several left pondian breeders sites was information about ear training. Apparently to get the ears to fold just so for showing they glue them to the puppies head for months on end. I was amazed that anyone would do such a thing that claimed to love dogs but it seems to be common with several breeds. I have never heard of this before, surely it would be illegal in the UK (or at least I hope it is).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Re: Ear training dogs
« Reply #1 on: 27 September, 2008, 01:57:53 pm »
Awful, isn't it. In the US, other breeds such as boxers have their ears half cut off to make them stand up. Disgusting practice and I'm pretty sure it's not allowed here. Tail docking certainly isn't any more (unless possibly for working dogs who need it - not sure on that one).

« Reply #2 on: 27 September, 2008, 02:31:41 pm »
It is illegal, totally illegal.  We can't even dock Bodi's tail due to new legislation.

« Reply #3 on: 27 September, 2008, 02:40:33 pm »
Awful, isn't it. In the US, other breeds such as boxers have their ears half cut off to make them stand up. Disgusting practice and I'm pretty sure it's not allowed here.

My grand parents boxer was like that in France. Boxers were a fighting breed and the ears have been thus trained as a result for a long while; by vets (in France). We had the dog some 20 years ago and I don't know if it is still the case that this practise exists. Back then most boxers were like that I have to say. The tail was also docked; by the vet again. I believe there was a medical reason behind the tail though.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #4 on: 27 September, 2008, 02:49:57 pm »
Many things which have been allowed in the USA are quite specifically banned in the UK, for example declawing of cats 1 which seems almost routine for USA cats living in apartments, wouldn't be allowed in the UK (at least not just for the purpose of saving your furnishings).

Crate training of puppies seems common enough in the USA, but talking to someone at the Blue Cross about it, they reckoned it would likely be considered an offence in the UK (or at least enough to get you charged with cruelty).

On the other hand, things like cross breeding dogs with close relatives seems common enough in the UK, although it seems like a really bad idea from a genetic standpoint.

Footnote 1 : Not really declawing, more equivalent to amputating the final bone of their claws. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 27 September, 2008, 03:12:48 pm »
I thought you could still dock working dogs tails. Things like Spaniels and Jack Russells.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #6 on: 27 September, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »
If we dock he cannot be shown under KCC rules.