Author Topic: Calculating total climb from .gpx  (Read 5429 times)

Calculating total climb from .gpx
« on: 26 April, 2009, 08:56:47 pm »
Has anybody got a simple tool or way of calculating total climb etc from the elevation points in the gpx readout?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
Re: Calculating total climb from .gpx
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:09:02 pm »

Not sure but JWO is normally tops with that stuff.

I think it needs to be imported in to a mapping software such as Memory Map that then gives you the usual functions from routes etc.
"Don't stop pedalling"

Chris N

« Reply #2 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »

« Reply #3 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:21:12 pm »
And take the answer with a big pinch of salt.

On one Henham Audax last year I compared the GPX tracklogs from 4 different rider's GPSs, with that program (and then some others), and got 4 completely different figures for total climb ranging from 1300m to 2200m. The ride had, to most peoples' agreement, about 1800m of climbing.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 26 April, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »
calculating climbing from a track

Thanks for the link.

The GPSAltitude progam referred to, I can't seem to get working.

The other option, of opening the file in Excel, is one I was going to try tomorrow at work as excel can open and format xml documents properly.  At the moment I only have this ubuntu box available.  I've opened openoffice spreadsheet, File ->  Open, give it the xml file and it opens the word processor for me with the file in it ???   How can I open the xml file IN OpenOffice Spreadsheet?

inc

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2009, 09:30:32 am »

The GPSAltitude progam referred to, I can't seem to get working.

The other option, of opening the file in Excel,

I think, from the other thread, you now have GPSAltitude working OK

It is simple enough to get the altitude into a spreadsheet but I don't think it is a simple matter to get accurate altitude data from it, as can be seen in other threads.

Using gpsbabel for converting routes  into a .csv file   there is a couple of options.

Using  .xcsv   -   this requires a style file to tell gpsbabel  what to process, I simply edited an example file from the gpsbabel documentation.  and  set it up for lat, long and altitude  ( I have to do this to import into my OS mapping)

Using .unicsv  -  It tries to create a column for any data it sees in the file to be converted, so for a
standard .gpx it has columns for  line No. lat. long, altitude, and time. Then paste the file into an Open Office spreadsheet using the comma  separator paste option which  puts the data into columns.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:31:04 am »
For those that have Mapsource, it can save out as Text, and Excel has no trouble opening that.
OO Calc however seems to dump the text into Writer - very silly!

GPSAltitude requires Java, but apart from that is pretty useful IMO.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:47:07 am »
On the "pinch of salt" side of things, my weekend ride was 7586m on the GPS itself.
Garmin Training Centre says 7837m, Garmin Connect 8745m,  Motionbased 9933m.

That's all from the same GPS data, and all calculated using Garmin software.

There is clearly different amounts of smoothing going on, and different algorithms to choose what little bumps are worth adding into the cumulative totals.

The different tools also all give a different distance travelled, with 2% difference between the extremes.

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2009, 10:54:39 am »
I think, from the other thread, you now have GPSAltitude working OK

Yup  :thumbsup:

On the "pinch of salt" side of things, my weekend ride was 7586m on the GPS itself.
Garmin Training Centre says 7837m, Garmin Connect 8745m,  Motionbased 9933m.

That's all from the same GPS data, and all calculated using Garmin software.

There is clearly different amounts of smoothing going on, and different algorithms to choose what little bumps are worth adding into the cumulative totals.

The different tools also all give a different distance travelled, with 2% difference between the extremes.

Tonight's ride might be interesting..   My "new" Edge 605 has arrived, so I might go out for a spin with both GPS units on the bars ;D    Be interesting to compare the old Legend with the 605.