Author Topic: Rider Lists  (Read 19201 times)

JayP

• You must be joking
Re: Rider Lists
« Reply #25 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
I'm trying really really hard NOT TO MENTION the fact that that there is another SPLENDID ride from Macclesfield in October. Its 200k, it only costs £7, NOWT goes to charity but around 75% of it on LOTS and LOTS of food and CAKE at the start, in the middle and at the end.  :P :thumbsup: OOPS!! better not mention the name.

Chris S

« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:11:41 pm »
If I were to leave my home to do a ride which would mean I'd be out all day, I would not like this fact disseminated all over the intertubes.

Plenty of people on here announce to the YACF world (and therefore the whole interweb) which rides they are planning on doing. There are whole threads devoted to it.

I really want to do your Macclesfield 200 this year JayP  :thumbsup:. It's an audax, right? I don't do anything with "sport" in the name...

« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:13:00 pm »
Plenty of people on here announce to the YACF world (and therefore the whole interweb) which rides they are planning on doing. There are whole threads devoted to it.

Indeed, but they choose to.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:13:17 pm »

True.

DanialW

« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:14:27 pm »
I'm trying really really hard NOT TO MENTION the fact that that there is another SPLENDID ride from Macclesfield in October. Its 200k, it only costs £7, NOWT goes to charity but around 75% of it on LOTS and LOTS of food and CAKE at the start, in the middle and at the end.  :P :thumbsup: OOPS!! better not mention the name.

A link would be handy.

JayP

• You must be joking
« Reply #30 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »
If I were to leave my home to do a ride which would mean I'd be out all day, I would not like this fact disseminated all over the intertubes.

I really want to do your Macclesfield 200 this year JayP  :thumbsup:. It's an audax, right? I don't do anything with "sport" in the name...
its an Audax

event detail

« Reply #31 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »

This is an important point.  I had mentioned earlier that I might consider publishing the entry list prior to an event.  Upon reflection and hearing some of the comments raised in this thread, there are clearly good reasons why entry lists should not be published prior to the event.

Hi again Philip,
That is a very good point.

Do you think that a totaliser of riders would be better?
Maybe list of numbers with a list of which clubs have members taking part?
That way no one will know exactly who is doing it.

DanialW

« Reply #32 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:22:49 pm »
event detail

Here you go, JayP

"212km cycling event starting from Broken Cross, nr Macclesfield. Three Loops in Cheshire. Macclesfield Wheelers annual charity fund-raiser. A popular club-ride for many years - now an Audax. The ride begins and ends in Macclesfield and follows three loops centred on The Ice Cream Farm Cafe nr Tattenhall. A pleasant day out, cycling the green and flat Cheshire lanes, with hospitality at the start and finish. Route sheet, gps tracks and description (last years') below. Entries on the line accepted."

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #33 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:26:05 pm »
event detail

Here you go, JayP

"212km cycling event starting from Broken Cross, nr Macclesfield. Three Loops in Cheshire. Macclesfield Wheelers annual charity fund-raiser. A popular club-ride for many years - now an Audax. The ride begins and ends in Macclesfield and follows three loops centred on The Ice Cream Farm Cafe nr Tattenhall. A pleasant day out, cycling the green and flat Cheshire lanes, with hospitality at the start and finish. Route sheet, gps tracks and description (last years') below. Entries on the line accepted."

:thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #34 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:28:50 pm »

Also finding Chris S's house to give it a dose of burglarisation is hard when you don't know his name.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #35 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:30:05 pm »

Also finding Chris S's house to give it a dose of burglarisation is hard when you don't know his name.  ;D

It's hard even if you do know his name.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #36 on: 23 March, 2011, 03:30:28 pm »

Also finding Chris S's house to give it a dose of burglarisation is hard when you don't know his name.  ;D

Yes, don't tell 'im your name, Chris!

« Reply #37 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:12:58 pm »

And, come to that, what's the point in going round to their house to nick stuff when the decent bike won't be there (coz it's on a ride!).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #38 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:26:29 pm »
There might be an old saddlebag you could snarf?

Chris S

« Reply #39 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:27:15 pm »
There might be an old saddlebag you could snarf?

I was going to say "That's no way to talk about Mrs S", but she's sitting beside me, so I'd bett.....

OW!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #40 on: 23 March, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »
As PW mentions AUK Results suggest the popularity of events and a trawl of previous year events together with rider reports will suggest your inclination to ride.  I tend to prefer Audax to Sportif as they provide more challenge to your overall riding skills, much better value for your money/km, scenery you can linger over and I suppose, because I have been at it for 30yrs, re-acquaintance with folk from my 'Club'.  Big Sportifs tend to be a race of sorts, with an emphasis to keep going (done several especially round the Alps/Pyrenees where the atmosphere/challenge is special).   There will be allowance for location (population centres) and geography (AAA-style/flat).  Event history will determine popularity - get it right and fields will grow. Some sportifs sell-out within hours of websites opening.  But then sportif riders tend to want 'everything' done for them and are prepared to pay a premium.  Organisers need to aim their event and provide facilities within a broad plan.  Probably 'from little Acorns do Oak trees grow'; a first year event is a stab in a dark place, while second and subsequent runs will be built on experience, both on routing, take up, and support adjusted as numbers suggest.

So, are lists necessary?  Security suggests not; friendships (who else is riding?) suggests yes but then friends will probably have a more secure way of suggesting an entry.  I ride because the date suits, the distance suits and the route suits my ambition.  So other riders is pot luck.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Martin

« Reply #41 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:04:18 pm »
I'd like to hear Liamfitz and Martin's views.   ;)

what's the party line? tell him to f off and stop spamming?

to reply to the OP; I think people who enter large events do generally like to see their names on a start list somewhere to make sure they are in.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #42 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »
If it is having a negative effect on the perception of his rides, then quite possibly.

The post could easily have been written generically. Most people already know about the two rides that KidsCan organise, there wasn't really a need to mention them.

« Reply #43 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:11:44 pm »
I've never ridden a sportive but run across quite a few and the one thing that puts me off is the feed stations. Quite often they seem only to be stocked with large crates of over-ripe bananas, boxes of energy gels and some manky buttered cakes along with orange juice, all things I find unpalatable, especially the energy gels which are to be avoided like the plague. If you advertised that the feed station would be stocked with some nice food like soup, pies, pasta, fried egg on toast with beans and a dash of Hendy's and some decent coffee (no instant nonsense) and I reckon I would be in for the ride. What food are you offering for the Peak 100?

As for rider lists, I guess it could be a factor. While I'm not keen on my details being published, I would like to know if I'll have some company on the ride. If you include the riders finishing time so that I know that there will be some people as slow as me then that might be encouraging.

Martin

« Reply #44 on: 23 March, 2011, 09:11:53 pm »
there also wasn't a need to reply to yet another KidsCan thread; it would have slipped down in due course. I'm for reading and ignoring (unless it really warrants a discussion which this didn't) in these cases.

FWIW anyone who rides one of my Audax events gets their name published after the ride; member or not.

Alouicious

« Reply #45 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:10:47 am »
I've never ridden a sportive but run across quite a few and the one thing that puts me off is the feed stations. Quite often they seem only to be stocked with large crates of over-ripe bananas, boxes of energy gels and some manky buttered cakes along with orange juice, all things I find unpalatable, especially the energy gels which are to be avoided like the plague. If you advertised that the feed station would be stocked with some nice food like soup, pies, pasta, fried egg on toast with beans and a dash of Hendy's and some decent coffee (no instant nonsense) and I reckon I would be in for the ride. What food are you offering for the Peak 100?

As for rider lists, I guess it could be a factor. While I'm not keen on my details being published, I would like to know if I'll have some company on the ride. If you include the riders finishing time so that I know that there will be some people as slow as me then that might be encouraging.

You can't be acquainted with the life cycle of a banana. The bright yellow ones you see in the shops are not ripe. The flesh is hard and consists of long chain starches. When the flesh turns dark/clear, the long starch chains are breaking down into shorter sugar molecules and are more easy to absorb into the bloodstream.
Give them more time and a little warmth and the clear sugary flesh ferments into a lovely alcoholic banana liquer.

The best way to eat bananas is by way of the Bar-b-q. That's what the feeding stations need to do, mash them and fry them in butter. Yum, yum.

« Reply #46 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:00:22 am »

I really like to know who's riding, it helps with recognising people; and as SK says it's good to know there may be riders near you on the road.

So I'm glad if a list is available at the start, for instance (less of a security issue than if it's on a website?)

I'd hate it to be another thing that organisers are supposed to do, though - I'd rather go on being delighted with all their varied styles!

« Reply #47 on: 24 March, 2011, 09:09:32 am »
What food are you offering for the Peak 100?
Hi TSK,

There will be soreen, bananas, tea, coffee, water, energy products and other things to keep you going at the feed station.
On arrival at the finish there will be a BBQ for participants which includes a free drink.

We'll be publishing the finishing times after the event.

I really like to know who's riding, it helps with recognising people; and as SK says it's good to know there may be riders near you on the road.

So I'm glad if a list is available at the start, for instance (less of a security issue than if it's on a website?)

I'd hate it to be another thing that organisers are supposed to do, though - I'd rather go on being delighted with all their varied styles!
Hi Tonyh,

I think what we're likely to do for the next cycle is publish a list of clubs which have members taking part as well as a number of participants and potentially the average age of the participants taking part.
I've had feedback on another forum from someone who likes to know what the competition is like!

We'll take the feedback from everyone who takes part and be able to make the next cycle bigger and better!

« Reply #48 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:23:02 am »

We'll be publishing the finishing times after the event.

Not an event in which I'd like to participate then.  Some members of this forum know that I'm slow.  I don't want the entire world to know that I'm THAT slow....

3 Loops sounds interesting though. Bit off my usual territory, but not far from the MiL's

Alouicious

« Reply #49 on: 24 March, 2011, 10:35:13 am »
The dead giveaway is the 'Sport' in "Sportive" in the ride's name.

As per most 'Sports', grinning winners, results sheets and a fight afterwards are to be expected.

If 'List of Starters' is going to be published, the rider's entry number, their age and the weight of the bike should be the only information on the sheet.

Then an extra bonus point can be scored for overtaking a younger rider on a lighter bike...  ;D