Author Topic: Darlo's annual "Hell of the north".  (Read 3032 times)

shyumu

• Paying my TV license by cheque since 1993
    • Balancing on Two Wheels
Darlo's annual "Hell of the north".
« on: 03 September, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »
The annual "Hell of the North" from Darlington rides out this Sunday.  I'm heading off with a group from the CTC Teesside section and we'll probably be stopping for lunch in Kirkby Stephen at the check point there.  Planned 8:30am depart from Darlo and expect to get back about 4pm.

£5 on-the-day setting off from the Dolphin Centre.

(I'm not the organiser, and I am really doing it - hope that's the ettyket addressed.)
a journal of bicycle rides I have enjoyed:

http://balancingontwowheels.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Darlo's annual "Hell of the north".
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »
I'm undecided.  Cracking route, though.  I'll see if I get out of bed for it.

shyumu

« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2011, 02:08:42 pm »
I'm heading over from toytown to get there by 8am and there should be three CTC'ers (4 if I call myself one).  The pace is not fast, but healthy.  We'll be passed by plenty of faster groups.

I love the views on the stretch from Hawes to Kirkby Stephen.  Expecting some headwind and splatter of rain.  The ride home should be a blast though with a tailwind from Brough.  The tailwind might even make the climb easier.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it Deano.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »
Our paths might well cross - I'm on the Arnside 200km audax tomorrow, via Hawes, Leyburn, Reeth, Tan Hill & Kirkby Stephen

:)

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2011, 03:34:06 pm »

I love the views on the stretch from Hawes to Kirkby Stephen.
Me too, especially after the Moorcock Inn, in Mallerstang Common, Deano has a great picture of Danny Merlick and I riding there.

shyumu

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2011, 04:51:19 pm »
Our paths might well cross - I'm on the Arnside 200km audax tomorrow, via Hawes, Leyburn, Reeth, Tan Hill & Kirkby Stephen

:)

Brilliant - I love it when cycling events collide, especially with the comedy "following the wrong rider" factor.  God speed tomorrow bpt.

shyumu

« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »
Deano has a great picture of Danny Merlick and I riding there.

Is there a link?

shyumu

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2011, 08:41:29 pm »
Deano - sorry if I missed you, I was looking out for you at the start.

Today was the best ride I've had all year.  The weather was warm and sunny and the views were outstanding all day.  Richmond, Askrigg, Hawes, Kirkby Stephen, Brough and the insane climb for Teesdale, Middleton-in-Teesdale, Staindrop and back to Darlington.  I rode to the start and home so got a reasonable 210km @ 25kph (ignoring the 45 minute scarmbled-egg-on-toast stop in Kirkby Stephen.)

I think Darlington Borough Council are really missing a trick not telling more people about this.  £5 or £10 if you want a T-Shirt.  No way markers, just a paper map.  One broom wagon and no fuss.  No on-day registration, no timing chips.  Sign in at Kirkby Stephen and sign in at the end.  The only sportive where I'm happy stopping for lunch; becuase there is a max and min time (although I got back just before the minimum time - oops).

Ferryhill Wheelers were out in force.  As were the two Darlo teams, Chapterhouse and Cleveland Wheelers.  Several people I talked to were doing their first imperial century.  There was a team of 10 or 12 OBC riders - Oxford Bus Company... I don't know if it was a charity ride for them but they did really well between them.

Yes, I repeated some hilly sections, cycling back down to encourage my fellow riders... I couldn't help it.  I was like a happy labrador today; I felt so strong comfortable and full of the joys of autumn that I was exemplifying Joyful whether it was appreciated or not.  This is really why I felt that today was the best cycle ride I've had all year.  Bubble, bubble... joy...grin.

I wish I'd taken my camera, but I'd planned for a day of splatter and grit; the forecast was not pleasant.

Finally; there were other paid/free rides going on.  I saw a bunch of Evans RideIt guys out and about.  And I was watching out for Billplumtree and others Audaxing.  I waved at every cyclist going the other way, just in case they were from *here*.  In Hawes I thought I might have waved at Bill - but I don't really know.

... time for a beer and relax. :)

« Reply #8 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »
Apparently Darlo BC make a loss on it, so they're always on the beg for local CCs to help out.

I did set my alarm, but I needed the sleep and I had my sister coming round in the afternoon and I won't see much of her in the near future, so I decided against the ride.

Folly Bank is the climb from Eggleston, BTW. Shot Moss outta Brough is longer.

« Reply #9 on: 04 September, 2011, 09:59:40 pm »

Is there a link?

I reckon this is the one he meant:

shyumu

« Reply #10 on: 04 September, 2011, 10:45:06 pm »

Is there a link?

I reckon this is the one he meant:

Yes - like this today, but blue at the top of the image.  :-D