Author Topic: Cat going Mad  (Read 1288 times)

Cat going Mad
« on: 04 September, 2008, 09:16:19 am »
Daisy, our cat who is about 10 years old appears to be gong senile.  :(

Either that or she is now very nervous. She keeps starting a hissing and spitting fit with her own relection. Any floor level glass triggers it, Oven door, external windows, internal glass wall, glass pannels in the doors.

Its getting stupid, and it is upsetting to see her get herself so worked up about her own reflection. She used to have a favorite place on a blanket on the master bed, however the room contains a mirrored wardrobe and she no longer even goes into the room.

Any suggestions?

Matthew

border-rider

Re: Cat going Mad
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:19:05 am »
Trip to the vet, or at least go and talk to a vet.

I doubt it's senility - 10 is middle-aged but not old for a cat.  But it may be either psychological (if another cat has been coming in, or something in the house has scared her silly) or it may be something like a thyroid or other hormonal inbalance.

Thyroid problems are quite common in middle-aged cats and they often result in behavioural changes.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:42:49 am »
+1 for hyperthyroidism, or possibly sight problems (which in themselves can be caused by hyperthyroidism).
Any weight loss?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:49:40 am »
A little weight loss but only from over weight to a sensible weight, some reduction in appetite as well.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:58:15 am »
Worth getting her checked out anyway.
When Pippin went for her jabs & MOT in January I mentioned that she seemed to have lost weight (she's never been a fat cat but I could feel her backbone), I mentioned it because my Mum and my brother's old cats both had hyperthyroidism and the weight dropped off them, but the vet just told me she was now at her ideal weight.
After a couple of fits in June/July a different vet  said she had a rapid HR and decided to test for hyperthyroidism.....lo and behold....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #5 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:05:25 pm »

The other thing to think is there another new cat in the area which has been jumping her. Cats don't really recognise their own reflection, but get used to it as being a non-threat.
But if other cats are going for her outside it might of made her very nervous about any cat shaped object.