Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754103 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series (plus random E Anglian stuff)
« Reply #6750 on: 12 May, 2015, 02:29:43 pm »
Nice one jibers, look forward to meeting you.  Some of us have form at The Three Elms so it's delights are not unfamiliar.

Who will be in the peloton from Witham?  I'm pretty certain I have a route from previous excursions so should I check or does anyone else have a particular preference?

« Reply #6751 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:15:16 pm »
I'm not likely to make it, still coughing and spluttering like an old car and I have a very early start the next morning  >:(

« Reply #6752 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:16:49 pm »
You forgot to explain why you can't make it  O:-)
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #6753 on: 12 May, 2015, 04:21:33 pm »
I'm still trying to think of an excuse! Be patient man.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6754 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:38:00 pm »
It'd better be a good excuse because I dragged myself around the A&S coughing & spluttering but I did have the incentive of not having to do a 600 to substitute the DNF 400  :sick:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6755 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:44:46 pm »
I'm still trying to think of an excuse! Be patient man.

You could always use the train to and from Chelmsford. It would be a shame to miss out on the health giving properties of homemade pub snacks washed down with Essex Energy Drink.

Have I ever told you about my healing hands?

« Reply #6756 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:47:14 pm »
It would seem the Huggy and tippers have a cold not erectile dysfunction!  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6757 on: 12 May, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »
It would seem the Huggy and tippers have a cold not erectile dysfunction!  :o

I find your faith in my powers of healing very flattering    ;D

« Reply #6758 on: 12 May, 2015, 10:58:26 pm »
Out of interest what's the whole deal with the 'wrong sort of compasses"?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6759 on: 13 May, 2015, 06:37:19 am »
Out of interest what's the whole deal with the 'wrong sort of compasses"?

;D

The compasses after which the pubs we are referring to are named are those used in masonary and are instruments used for drawing circles and measuring.  They are not the compasses used to point you in the right direction (that what Garmins are for - most of the time  ;D )

The Compasses at Littley Green gets it right as does the Square and Compasses at Fuller Street.

Like I said a few days ago it's shameful compass pedantry and I ought not to give a toss but it annoys me  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6760 on: 13 May, 2015, 07:15:50 am »
Besides, whe ever heard of a pub called the Square and Garmin?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6761 on: 13 May, 2015, 08:47:20 am »
Besides, whe ever heard of a pub called the Square and Garmin?

If we ever do get a yacf pub I think you might just of stumbled across it's name  ;D  Anyhow back to this evening ...

As expected I did have a route from Witham to The Three Elms and back so offer you good people THIS (clicky).  There is a small amount of COR to get us under the A12.  Dogging opportunities are also available en route.  What do we think?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #6762 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:27:04 am »
As expected I did have a route from Witham to The Three Elms and back so offer you good people THIS (clicky).  There is a small amount of COR to get us under the A12.  Dogging opportunities are also available en route.  What do we think?
Loaded to compasses Garmin.
I'm more concerned with the adventure down Bumfords Lane rather than the benign COR under the A12  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6763 on: 13 May, 2015, 10:30:27 am »
I'm more concerned with the adventure down Bumfords Lane rather than the benign COR under the A12  ::-)

You mean the Bumfords Lane Lido?  I went down there recently and it had gone.  Plus we haven't had much rain in the last week or so.  And it will be light.

« Reply #6764 on: 13 May, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »
Looks like it will be a pleasant evening. I shall get myself to the roundabout for 19:30 as usual  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6765 on: 13 May, 2015, 04:02:58 pm »
Gents - I am really sorry but I am not going to make this, I'm just not well enough to cycle.  Most annoyed as its a "local" pub too...

The bike is ready to rock and roll but unfortunately I'm not... off to lay down in a dark room...  :sick:
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #6766 on: 14 May, 2015, 12:21:46 am »
Gents - I am really sorry but I am not going to make this, I'm just not well enough to cycle.  Most annoyed as its a "local" pub too...

The bike is ready to rock and roll but unfortunately I'm not... off to lay down in a dark room...  :sick:

You were missed mate!  We've just had a cracking night!  There was a band!  That doesn't happen very often.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6767 on: 14 May, 2015, 08:37:47 am »
A decent turnout from the Witham peloton last night with myself, Huggy, OD, Andy C33, Trainmanbri, Steve Everitt and Bobb all departing Spa Rd roundabout at 7.30pm, TMNH and Doggers Hurrells Lane bound....... final destination The Three Elms - Chignal St James.

As we neared our final destination we swept up Tomsk and as we edged ever closer we also picked up Ted (who was putting in some huge miles riding from his office in Chelmsford!  :o )
In a first and much to OD's delight the Dave Warren jazz band were in attendance at the pub and despite OD's despair that they didn't know and therefore couldn't play his Dambusters request some decent tunes were played one of which was apparently for us!  :thumbsup:

I sampled a Hedge Hop first off which was top notch, followed up by Darklight (or something along those lines  ;D ) and finished off with a nice IPA from Farmers Ale's in Maldon.

Talk was of Ted and Andy's first 400k escapade and also some research that was done around the infamous Doggers Hurrells Lane, which ended in the conclusion that you need a van to be included in the gang that congregate there - step forward Huggy...... ::-) particularly with that sticker!!!

Another top notch MEMWNS evening with an enjoyable route courteousy of OD

« Reply #6768 on: 14 May, 2015, 09:42:17 am »
More pubs should make the effort to welcome us with a band.

Another good venue though.

Some added yob during my epic ride back to Chelmsford - somebody took the time to wind down his window and throw a bottle at me.  "Luckily" it hit me rather than getting caught in my spokes. 

The Retiree

« Reply #6769 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:04:04 am »
Some added yob during my epic ride back to Chelmsford - somebody took the time to wind down his window and throw a bottle at me.  "Luckily" it hit me rather than getting caught in my spokes. 

Oh dear that sounds rather unpleasant shame you didn't have the GoPro running as these people always love there 5 minutes of fame on YouTube with their number plate clearly on display. Glad to hear that the bottle hit you rather than having you off the bike if you know what I mean  ;D

« Reply #6770 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:32:17 am »
At least I know what the GoPro is for now.

Any solo rides from now on I am aiming to have it running.

There is too much of this stuff going on.

Can I put an early bid for another short/early one next week or at least a pub that allows a bit of flexibility.  Micro-arrows to the Swan or the Chequers at Totham or somewhere around the Blackwater ridge generally.

Huggy, Bobb and I will need our beauty sleep before the (oh so much easier than the A&S, it's a breeze) Flatlands.

After that normal service can be resumed  - if I haven't taken up bowls instead by then.

The Retiree

« Reply #6771 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:43:36 am »
At least I know what the GoPro is for now.

Any solo rides from now on I am aiming to have it running.

There is too much of this stuff going on.

Yes exactly this is where the GoPro comes into it's own and it has the added bonus of recording OD's COR'ing efforts, Fandango's rather unusual pub arrivals and OD making rather rude gestures too!

Can I put an early bid for another short/early one next week or at least a pub that allows a bit of flexibility.  Micro-arrows to the Swan or the Chequers at Totham or somewhere around the Blackwater ridge generally.

Huggy, Bobb and I will need our beauty sleep before the (oh so much easier than the A&S, it's a breeze) Flatlands.

After that normal service can be resumed  - if I haven't taken up bowls instead by then.

Bear with me a minute whilst I fetch that violin out of my draw.......  :o

With this being an early request and in the event of some major major advance planning how about we give the below a go next Weds?

It's not very exciting and it will look fairly familiar - but it is 55km, it does pass through Tiptree and it is aiming for the Peldon Plough which has sort of changed hands recently (son taken over from parents).

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/9381253

(Also I have no idea how to do hyperlinks never mind ones that just say clicky).

« Reply #6772 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:52:37 am »
A fine evening indeed  :)

I'm not sure if I will be out next week. My plan, starting from this weekend, is to go to bed really early every night and get up really early every morning. That's the only way I'm going to be able to get myself to Dunmow for 6am on Saturday!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #6773 on: 14 May, 2015, 10:54:44 am »
You can put the violin away.  That looks like a splendid route and very cleverly put together  :P

I'll even try to get home early and ride across the route to meet you at Spa so I don't miss out on any miles after my superhuman efforts last night.

Hopefully it will be close enough to tempt Carlosfandango and his bar bag full of male grooming products.   

The Retiree

« Reply #6774 on: 14 May, 2015, 11:06:53 am »
You can put the violin away.  That looks like a splendid route and very cleverly put together  :P

Apparently the bloke that put it together knows his stuff barring the missed off climb of TMNH  :o  :-*

I'll even try to get home early and ride across the route to meet you at Spa so I don't miss out on any miles after my superhuman efforts last night.

You may want to keep your fingers crossed that Trainmanbri isn't out next week as he treated last night's ride like a cross between a club run and a chaingang.....

Hopefully it will be close enough to tempt Carlosfandango and his bar bag full of male grooming products.   

It would be great to see Carlos on a MEMWNS again especially with his infamous bar bag of male grooming products that excludes a change of kit  :facepalm: