Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754146 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #8625 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »
I don't think I'm going to make it out this week either, the renovating of Huggy Towers needs to be finished soon so normal service can be resumed   :facepalm:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #8626 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »

Shame OD's not out to play.... it would have been right up his street being so close to Colchester Town Station and not too far from North station either for the return  :facepalm:

With no OD and no Huggy we could probably stray away from the mainline and even ride home from the pub, that is, provided Jiber has no objections.  If we decide the Beer Festival isn't great for bike security we could always head to the often talked about but rarely visited Compasses at Totham.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8627 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:37:40 pm »

Shame OD's not out to play.... it would have been right up his street being so close to Colchester Town Station and not too far from North station either for the return  :facepalm:

With no OD and no Huggy we could probably stray away from the mainline and even ride home from the pub, that is, provided Jiber has no objections.  If we decide the Beer Festival isn't great for bike security we could always head to the often talked about but rarely visited Compasses at Totham.

Yes the pull of the mainline isn't so great and I'm happy with either option but maybe the Compasses -Totham is a better option due to bike parking facilities. With Jiber's new style TT audaxing I'm sure he will be fine without the close proximity of a train journey home! He was led astray before by OD  ::-)

« Reply #8628 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:40:16 pm »
Jiber is probably plotting a fast DIY 100 for the way home as we type.

The Retiree

« Reply #8629 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »
Jiber is probably plotting a fast DIY 100 for the way home as we type.

Is he trying to join the flying helmets?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8630 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:56:32 pm »
I'm actually considering a dry stay at home looking at the WX forecast :( Though there is chance it will have rained/blown itself out by Wednesday Evening.

Great Totham is more preferable than Colchester (that would be a OD inspired return for me I think)
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #8631 on: 25 January, 2016, 04:08:13 pm »
I'm actually considering a dry stay at home looking at the WX forecast :( Though there is chance it will have rained/blown itself out by Wednesday Evening.

As Andy C33 always likes to remind us Jiber - Rule #5 thats travelling on your jack jones from Mersea or Chelmsford....  :o

Great Totham is more preferable than Colchester (that would be a OD inspired return for me I think)

:thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8632 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »
Ok, Totham Compasses it is then...out via Terling and lanes, back through Witham and Braintree, probably! Around 40 miles for me...01:00 arrivee back at home.

21:00 at the pub as usual?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8633 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:29:14 pm »
Sounds like it, I seem to be developing a standard route via TMNH & WB with return via Boreham.... perhaps we need a venue the North side of the A12 but this side of Colchester for next week?  Is there anything round the Roding's / Easter's (other than 3 Elms of course)? 

I've not done Spotted Dog before (though it looks a bit posh and I can only see 2 pumps on their website)?
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #8634 on: 25 January, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Not a great choice of our sort of pubs in the Braintree/Dunmow/Chelmo triangle. That's why good'uns like the Compasses and Three Elms are regular venues, I guess.

Witham & Chelmo riders will probably have to wait for lighter evenings and better weather before venturing north of the A120 out my way...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8635 on: 26 January, 2016, 12:56:25 pm »
Ack - my attendance is in danger with a meeting in that London Village, maybe a late arrival and a single pint to reward the ride..... maybe an early night in bed :(
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #8636 on: 26 January, 2016, 02:59:43 pm »
I am working from home on Thursday so I make me a possible...I have Christophe's Surly parked waiting for a test ride...but not keen to get such a well kept machine into a state while I am just testing it.

« Reply #8637 on: 26 January, 2016, 03:08:59 pm »
such a well kept machine

Careful, you are talking the price up there  ;D

Anyway, we need you out on Wednesday for BCM planning, not that Bobb will make it anyway.  When it rains Bobb stays at home stroking his cat and fingering his fender (at least I think it's that way around).

We can tell him and Huggy the plan later.

« Reply #8638 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:06:41 pm »
such a well kept machine

Careful, you are talking the price up there  ;D

££££££££££££ ;D

« Reply #8639 on: 26 January, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »
I am working from home on Thursday so I make me a possible...I have Christophe's Surly parked waiting for a test ride...but not keen to get such a well kept machine into a state while I am just testing it.

If it's on return I expect a valet before it comes back ;)

The Retiree

« Reply #8640 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:56:58 am »
Is it just my good self and Andy C33 forming a peloton from Spa this evening?

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8641 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:58:34 am »

If you set off down Spa Rd at 7:30 you might pass me and Penelope coming back up after my endurance spin session.  You'll hear the sobbing before you actually spot us.

The Retiree

« Reply #8642 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:00:08 am »

If you set off down Spa Rd at 7:30 you might pass me and Penelope coming back up after my endurance spin session.  You'll hear the sobbing before you actually spot us.

So you could ride to your spinning class on Fred and latch onto the back of the peloton this evening then!  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8643 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:02:23 am »

So you could ride to your spinning class on Fred and latch onto the back of the peloton this evening then!  :thumbsup:

Errrr, no!

The Retiree

« Reply #8644 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:05:56 am »

Errrr, no!

You know you want to really..... on the plus side it's above 0 degrees  ;D

« Reply #8645 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:43:36 am »
OD hasn't even come up with a convoluted route so he really ought to be out tonight.

He could no doubt join us after he has finished his warm up at the sports centre.  Or does the godfather just not care about the rest of us any more  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8646 on: 27 January, 2016, 09:59:34 am »
I care but in my own special way  :-*

Having rightly taken some flack recently about being a lazy git I am, as I said I would, doing something about it.  The priority at the moment is spinning which I found last year to be enormously helpful, and you can do it in the warm  :thumbsup:

Have fun tonight!

« Reply #8647 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:18:22 am »

Having rightly taken some flack recently about being a lazy git I am, as I said I would, doing something about it.  The priority at the moment is spinning which I found last year to be enormously helpful, and you can do it in the warm  :thumbsup:

Have fun tonight!
How did you find it helped?

I did one spin session and I came out with ringing ears, very sweaty and rather annoyed  ;D Might be tempted to give it another go though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8648 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:21:36 am »

Have fun tonight!

I did one spin session and I came out with ringing ears, very sweaty and rather annoyed  ;D Might be tempted to give it another go though.

So I did spinning from about this time last year to about May - 2 to 3 times a week (45 minute sessions).  I found it made my kegs stronger so I could cope much better when we put the power down on the road to whiz up hills etc.  Also, it did my chest good as well meaning I didn't get so puffed out when the pace was higher.

The Retiree

« Reply #8649 on: 27 January, 2016, 10:34:44 am »

Have fun tonight!

I can see no better cool down than taking Fred up TMNH after your spinning session.......

Have fun tonight!

Have you looked at Indoor Revolutions website Tippers? They use Wattbikes and have varying classes for beginners right through to following the different Sufferfest videos