Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 476450 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #4625 on: 22 October, 2023, 06:53:52 pm »
Sounds like good teamwork hopefully they'll cure this!

« Reply #4626 on: 22 October, 2023, 08:06:10 pm »
Vancomycin is now a fairly standard drug for specific indications depending on bacteriology. However it is generally second line agent due to the need for titration against levels and kidney function.

The need for orthopaedics and plastics  to both be involved is more worrying I am afraid.

« Reply #4627 on: 22 October, 2023, 08:42:09 pm »
That's actually reassuring, thanks.

Nothing at the moment is good, just didn't want to feel as if we were drinking at the last chance saloon, which Vancomycin felt like.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4628 on: 22 October, 2023, 11:21:55 pm »
It sounds like they're going with what's most likely to actually work, so as not to wast time waiting for cultures, which can always be a bit hit and miss.

I note that non-medics tend to think of second-line antibiotics as 'stronger' whereas it's better to think in terms of 'appropriate to the organism', traded off against side-effects, ease of use, and risk of encouraging resistance.  You don't go around routinely blatting things with vancomycin because you can't just give the patient some pills four times a day, and you want it in reserve for the MRSA and C. difficile.  But equally you don't want to let a bone infection take hold while the microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity.  Medicine is as much art as SCIENCE.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4629 on: 23 October, 2023, 01:16:40 am »
Good summary, Kim!

« Reply #4630 on: 23 October, 2023, 09:05:43 am »
.. you don't want to let a bone infection take hold ...

That would have been excellent to have avoided   :'(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4631 on: 23 October, 2023, 09:42:31 am »
I’m getting my flu jab this afternoon.   It’ll be interesting to see if I get any reaction - several people I know who are normally fine with the jabs said it really knocked them back this year.

Turned up for my 'flu jab and the pharmacist asked if I'd like the Covid jab at the same time.  I said 'yes' (meaning I don't have to take time out from work on Wednesday).

A have a slightly tender spot where I had the Covid jab but that's it.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4632 on: 24 October, 2023, 01:41:53 pm »
The endocrinology team has now decided that there is an issue with my thyroid and has asked the GP to refer me.   I've only been chasing this for three years.

I'm going to give the endocrinology team at Addenbrookes a call and see what the wait time is for an outpatient appointment.  I have a feeling it might be a long time...

I had a call from the endocrinology clinic admin bod - I should get an appointment in the next 4-6 weeks, which isn't bad.  Plus it might be quicker if I can make a short notice slot.  I explained I work from home and live a mile from the outpatients department.  She said she'd let the team know...  :thumbsup:

I now have an appointment next Wednesday (1 November).  :thumbsup:   So roughly fours weeks from A&G request to OP appointment.  That's almost as good as going private...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

sam

« Reply #4633 on: 31 October, 2023, 11:37:06 pm »
Today my wife discovered she needs £1000 of dentistry. Time to crowdfund a smile?

ian

« Reply #4634 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:28:09 pm »
A single filling then?

sam

« Reply #4635 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:41:09 am »
In a way. A partial denture.

« Reply #4636 on: 02 November, 2023, 08:43:12 am »
Earlier this year MrsC was told she either needed an implant or a bridge, to replace a rotten tooth that had to be removed.
Cost was going to be north of £2000.

She actually considered just having the tooth removed.

I told her not to be stupid and she should get the implant while we could afford it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4637 on: 02 November, 2023, 10:30:25 am »
My teeth appear to be made of cottage cheese.  Not many left now.   :'(

Years ago I had a crowned upper incisor.  Then courtesy of our 5 year old's head-butt it got knocked out snapping it level with the gum so that had to come out.   So I went for a bridge which involved scarificing and crowning the 2 adjacent teeth.  Some years later the stumps of those teeth just disintegrated and the bridge of 3 false ones landed in my dinner.  Those 2 stumps then had to be extracted leaving a nice Nobby Stiles 3 tooth gap.  When they told me that implants start at £2000 per screw, we quickly moved on to the cheaper option of an NHS partial denture.  Needs Fixodenting into place every morning and sometimes faffing with during the day if I eat anything with pips

Some days I wish I'd stumped up for implants...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4638 on: 02 November, 2023, 01:21:49 pm »
Implants seem to be the way to go if you can afford them.
I think we boomers had the worst of all worlds with our teeth, which seem to be falling to bits as we age.
Mum (87) has most of her natural teeth, having had loads of dental trouble when we were kids.
My siblings' teeth are mostly pretty ropey.
Brother #1 lives abroad and seems to be paying only about £400 a pop for implants. Seems the techniques used for him are less fiddly than that which D had recently.

I'll be interested to see how these fare in the future.

« Reply #4639 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:15:36 pm »
Both my parents had more dentures than I currently do.  We found quite a few sets grinning at us when we cleared the house after Dad's demise.  Genetics, sugar and lack of fluoride I suppose.
I guess back in their day the dentists were more likely to simply extract dodgy teeth than try to salvage them.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #4640 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:35:09 pm »

Some days I wish I'd stumped up for implants...

You still could.  Implants can be placed any time after extractions. There are some advantages to placing them sooner rather than later but these are fairly minor.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4641 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:38:40 pm »
I have had an implant (top incisor) for decades and can’t imagine putting up with a denture.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

sam

« Reply #4642 on: 02 November, 2023, 02:53:51 pm »
Her situation is a little different from the usual. It's a fix for a tooth that never arrived in the first place. The dentist says the imbalance, which only lately started causing discomfort, will worsen if not addressed.

« Reply #4643 on: 02 November, 2023, 03:38:03 pm »
Any suggestions for dietary supplements/vitamins that would aid bone repair and regeneration? All degrees of woo considered.

Signed

Assistant barman at the last chance saloon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4644 on: 02 November, 2023, 03:54:10 pm »
If your diet is as good as the food posts you sometimes share, they're probably unnecessary.
Vitamin D has all kinds of benefits though.

« Reply #4645 on: 02 November, 2023, 03:58:40 pm »
RE Boomers  Teeth

Yes, there's some truth in what you say. We missed out on Fluoride toothpaste, experienced drill and fill dentistry, and out on missed preventative dentistry. I have a mouthful of amalgam whereas my children have no fillings.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4646 on: 02 November, 2023, 04:57:08 pm »
Also, there was no sugar rationing after WWII and sweets were cheap & easily available...

« Reply #4647 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:04:48 pm »
If your diet is as good as the food posts you sometimes share, they're probably unnecessary.
Vitamin D has all kinds of benefits though.

t'aint me, but yes our diet is almost zero processed, high fibre, fruit etc.

It isn't what is necessary, it is what might possibly maybe potentially help, things are not in a good place.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4648 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:15:55 pm »
After barakta's hip surgery, based on a combination of expiry dates and common sense, I suggested that it might be a good idea to incorporate the Big Jar Of Overpriced Multivitimins™ from the Brexit stockpile into her medications routine, given that she was at that point subsisting on a diet of TEA, toast and laxatives.  Didn't seem to do any harm, anyway.

Calcium probably seems prudent...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4649 on: 02 November, 2023, 05:28:43 pm »
Also, there was no sugar rationing after WWII and sweets were cheap & easily available...

As were penicillin lozenges, over the counter without a prescription.  My mum once gave me a full tube of them and told me to eat as many as I liked. Sweet and lemony they were.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight