Author Topic: Using public libraries at this time  (Read 2890 times)

Using public libraries at this time
« on: 18 March, 2020, 09:05:43 am »
What are the team's thoughts on continuing to use public libraries.  Ignoring the contact with others risk (which can be mitigated), can the virus be transmitted on books and how long could it live on a book, either the plastic cover or the paper pages?

Would freezing or microwaving the book help?  :P

Thanks

Re: Using public libraries at this time
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:19:57 am »
Washing your hands after handling a book will do.

The transmission is from random surfaces (e.g. door handles, tables, books, etc) to your body via your mouth, nose or eyes - hence the instructions to avoid touching your face and to wash your hands when getting home, before eating, etc.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:25:17 am »
Would self-isolating the item for a day or two work, as well?

ian

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:30:32 am »
Assume every surface is contaminated (it is with bazillions of viruses, bacteria, archaea, fungi, protists... including our friend Covid-19) and simply wash your hands. Opinions seem to vary about how long the virus can linger on surfaces under various conditions.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:34:26 am »
Yes, I had read three days, but 9 days on some surfaces. It seems to depend on the nature of the surface and the temperature.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2020, 09:48:06 am »
I'd also exercise special precautions if the book is one of the fifty shades-style word bilges.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2020, 10:08:56 am »
It's easy for me. West Sussex have closed them until further notice.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2020, 08:28:06 pm »
Bristol too. I'm quite surprised that any are still open. I've got a few books to get through but not five months' worth. I might be reduced to reading shit on the internet. Oh...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2020, 08:38:09 pm »
Our library service has an extensive e-book service - yours may have something similar.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2020, 08:44:05 pm »
It seems they do. I'll read up the paper books first and then investigate.

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:57:31 am »
Tests on virus life indicates 2-3 days on cardboard but up to 9 days on plastic or stainless steel.

A friend who works in epidemiology says their figures say 75hours on plastic.

I would assume that shiny book covers are not much different to plastic.

Really, you have to assume that books are contaminated. You can't douse them in alcohol, so are you going to read them wearing gloves.

I'm a library fanatic. I have cards for York, Leeds and Cambridge.

Sadly,  I don't think it is responsible to use public libraries.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2020, 11:07:19 am »
And with libraries closing, that’s another burden on the less well off in our society as they lose access to the internet that bureaucracy demands they use.

I guess the laughingly named “job centres” will close too, so a silver lining, assuming benefit isn’t summarily stopped....
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2020, 11:56:13 am »
My missus does part-time cover in local libraries

There is no protective equipment or hand gel.  There is some cleaning equipment but no plan to use it effectively

The libraries have been underfunded into the ground for years.  They are a dirty, mismanaged resource now for the underclass to use a computer to try and claim benefits.  The book stock is old and damaged

What they are doing (in her local libraries) isn't actually clear.  They were due to shut down all operations on Friday (yesterday) but this has altered now and she is at work today.  She is on a zero-hours contract, will be working next week but after that probably not

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:03:39 pm »
All ours are closing on Monday. They've been on half time, by excluding volunteers from the rota.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #14 on: 21 March, 2020, 12:14:43 pm »
One library near me (big one in a town centre) seems to be used as meeting place/ social space and for free wifi, the noise in there is ridiculous. I don't think the books have had any human hands on them much.

« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2020, 01:35:12 pm »
Well Herts are closed today until the 25th to decide what, if anything, they will do beyond that. The libraries service was spun off from council control last year, but the company that won the contract to run it was made up of the old libraries service management. They’re well run, and have even invested (if no particularly wisely) in automation for checkouts and returns, although all desks are still manned.

Bucks have shut all but main libraries, and physical book lending will stop at 1pm on the 23rd, with all loans extended to 30th June and no fines levied.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 21 March, 2020, 01:42:17 pm »
My missus does part-time cover in local libraries

There is no protective equipment or hand gel.  There is some cleaning equipment but no plan to use it effectively

The libraries have been underfunded into the ground for years.  They are a dirty, mismanaged resource now for the underclass to use a computer to try and claim benefits.  The book stock is old and damaged

What they are doing (in her local libraries) isn't actually clear.  They were due to shut down all operations on Friday (yesterday) but this has altered now and she is at work today.  She is on a zero-hours contract, will be working next week but after that probably not

My friend who works in a library was working to exhaustion trying to decontaminate computers between users, because - as you say - they're primarily a resource for disadvantaged people to access the internet for benefits and homework, as well as a heated indoor space with a mostly-functional roof.  Apparently they had some cleaning supplies.  But not a working telephone.

« Reply #17 on: 21 March, 2020, 03:30:01 pm »
Ours closed yesterday for the foreseeable.

« Reply #18 on: 21 March, 2020, 10:48:16 pm »
Our granddaughters local library closed this week. Not a problem says our so. As they have over 75 children’s books at the last count (eldest is 3.5yrs). She will do very well from being at home with Mummy and Daddy both doing part time child care and part time wfh.

What made me incredibly sad was the realisation that this virus has probably done more to define an educational underclass than almost anything else.

Right children of bright parents will do really well. Less bright children of less bright parents will lose what they already have with such a long gap an may well be at least a year behind by the autumn.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 23 March, 2020, 09:24:33 am »

Right children of bright parents will do really well. Less bright children of less bright parents will lose what they already have with such a long gap an may well be at least a year behind by the autumn.

I was thinking this earlier (reading through some emails about the 'home learning plans' the sort of bright, professional, and affluent parents I work with – it's all impressive stuff). For parent's who can't and don't do this, yeah, they're losing a year.

Davef

« Reply #20 on: 24 March, 2020, 12:59:31 pm »

I was thinking this earlier (reading through some emails about the 'home learning plans' the sort of bright, professional, and affluent parents I work with – it's all impressive stuff). For parent's who can't and don't do this, yeah, they're losing a year.
My daughter teaches in a state school in London. They are teaching full timetabled curriculum distance learning. Even the most deprived families seem to have one smart phone but possibly several children competing for it. The school have provided laptops to some. Others are working with weekly printouts. It is a heavy workload for the teachers. On weeks when she is on rota to come be in school it will be even tougher. It won’t be sustainable unfortunately as the workload is too great on the teachers and the motivation of the students will dwindle ... but day 2 they are still being educated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ian

« Reply #21 on: 24 March, 2020, 01:10:47 pm »
It's clearly going to favour more affluent families though, as they have both the resources and the motivation. And I think that gap will continue to open up over time.

ETA: and I'm sure the effort of providing for the kids' educations will disproportionately fall to the mothers.

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #22 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:45:55 pm »
I am not disagreeing, but by the same token - it is the less affluent families who have other things to worry about... jobs which are not amenable to wfh, loss of income, inability to pay bills or buy food, increasing debt, etc.

I know the Government say they will fill the gaps, and no question they should, but not a promise I'd like to be relying on...

(Of course many people in many other countries will be even harder hit and know it is pointless to even look to their Governments for help...)

This is the 'rainy day' we were told to save for, but that message seems old-fashioned nowadays - the Government punishes you for saving, and seems to think it is OK to borrow more and more simply to keep things going and with only a vague idea of how to pay it all back in the distant future!

My impression is earlier generations were more self-sufficient - even poor families knew the importance of saving a little when they could, contributing to an insurance or wellfare scheme, working on the allotment, etc.

(Apologies for going way off-topic, and ranting!)

It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

« Reply #23 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:27:11 am »
The idea of turning old phone boxes into free libraries has taken off around where I live, including my village. I’m just wondering how these could be made safe just now. I wonder if picking up books using gloves and then “ isolating” them for a number of days before you read them would work?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:29:57 am »
I think a figure has been given for how long the virus can survive on paper, but I can't remember what it was and don't know how accurate.