Author Topic: Man Flow Yoga  (Read 467 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Man Flow Yoga
« on: 02 April, 2024, 12:57:09 pm »
Several people have suggested I try Man Flow Yoga, which they rave about.  Has anyone here got any experience of it?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Man Flow Yoga
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2024, 01:23:22 pm »
Never heard of it, do you not have a local yoga studio?  Surely the hands-on approach must be better? 

I know that I will get more out of our yoga instructor repositioning me than any video I watch.   You could even try it up here - https://www.yogastudioely.co.uk/
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2024, 01:32:11 pm »
Never heard of it.

I'd advise just finding a punchy ashtanga class. You need somebody there correcting your postures.

Regulator

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2024, 01:50:06 pm »
Never heard of it, do you not have a local yoga studio?  Surely the hands-on approach must be better? 

I know that I will get more out of our yoga instructor repositioning me than any video I watch.   You could even try it up here - https://www.yogastudioely.co.uk/

My gym has a weekly yoga class.  Other local gyms have them more frequently - but it seems always at a time which is inconvenient. 

Green Party Councillor

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2024, 02:25:28 pm »
My wife has 'spinal flow' and swears by/loves it. From the little I've heard it sounds a little like reiki and needs you to leave your doubts at the door and submit yourself to it. She gets extreme physical sensations as soon as hands are laid on but there is no manipulation as such. Whether it's helping her 'condition' is debatable but the feelgood factor is considerable.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2024, 03:21:34 pm »
I'd always recommend an in-person class. That way the teacher can suggest modifications / corrections, not so easy for that to be done over zoom etc.

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2024, 04:16:30 pm »
Another vote for actual classes.  I don't do yoga but have done Pilates for many years.  Without correction from the teacher you really have no idea if you're doing the moves correctly because you can't see your 360 degree body position - even with mirrors.  I'm still being adjusted on moves I've done hundreds of times before  ::-).  It's usually a case of correcting one thing only for another to become apparent.

Online may be convenient (it certainly is for the teacher - practically and financially) but outside of lockdowns or living in remote locations I'd always prefer classes.  Just being in a room with other humans is therapy in itself.  Watching a screen really isn't.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2024, 04:26:15 pm »
My issue is finding classes that fit into my timetable.

I like my gym because they have small classes (there were just three of us plus the PT this morning) at 6.30am which fits in well with my schedule.  Around here, yoga is either on during the day for the yummy mummies or in the early evening - which tends to clash with council meetings, etc.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 02 April, 2024, 05:03:05 pm »
If getting to classes is difficult then how about starting with the online stuff so you can learn the basic moves and practice them, but every few weeks either attend a small class (anything over 8 and you may not get 1-1 attention) or indulge in a personal session (will be much more flexible  ;)).

The only slight problem is, every single Pilates teacher I've had does things a different way - sometimes remarkably so - to the extent you wouldn't realise it's derived from the same source.  I actually find that quite refreshing as it challenges your concept of what you're doing and forces you to re-asses your technique, but it could be confusing if you've only ever done things one way.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Regulator

« Reply #9 on: 02 April, 2024, 05:06:20 pm »
If getting to classes is difficult then how about starting with the online stuff so you can learn the basic moves and practice them, but every few weeks either attend a small class (anything over 8 and you may not get 1-1 attention) or indulge in a personal session (will be much more flexible  ;)).

The only slight problem is, every single Pilates teacher I've had does things a different way - sometimes remarkably so - to the extent you wouldn't realise it's derived from the same source.  I actually find that quite refreshing as it challenges your concept of what you're doing and forces you to re-asses your technique, but it could be confusing if you've only ever done things one way.

I will try to go to the yoga session at my gym (which is Friday at 5.30pm). 

One of the reasons I'm attracted to the Man Flow Yoga is it's not as 'paint the sky'-ish as some yoga classes (particularly the yummy mummy ones round here) and is a bit more like the one at the gym, which is very strength focused.

I think I'll give it a go for the six weeks and mix in the weekly session at the gym.

Green Party Councillor